• R, 1 hr. 40 min.

Book of Blood Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 19, 2012
Decent haunted house, supernatural horror yarn that could have been much better than what it turned to be. The weakness of the film lies in its extremely slow pacing where there's not really anything interesting that happens. This film had the potential in delivering memorable chills; instead this is a mostly dull affair that really doesn't thrill. Book of Blood is a decent idea, and it could have been a stellar haunted house, supernatural horror picture, however it doesn't terrify the way it should. The biggest problem with the film is that it offers too little too late, and you're left mostly bored throughout the film. I liked the film, however I simply felt that there could have been more plot development to really make this one stand out. The ideas are here, but director John Harrison seems like he doesn't know to craft a truly compelling and interesting horror movie. This film is decent at best with many flaws, and overall it feels like the director tried to rush things in order to create a film based on horror master Clive Barker's Books of Blood. Expect minor chills and a low budget feel to this one, compared to The Midnight Meat Train, this film is inferior, worth seeing if you love Barker's work, but doesn't necessitate multiple viewings as this one is pretty forgettable in the long run.
WrenchLT
WrenchLT

September 23, 2011
Good but too leisurely paced ghost story about three paranormal investigators who discover an intersection to the world of the dead located in a house in Scotland. This didn't quite turn out to be the gore-fest I was expecting, it's more supernatural based but there's the odd bloody moment here and there. It's got a good atmosphere to it all helping to provide some chilling moments but no real scares. It all moves too slowly though and the film didn't make the most of the story. The last 20 minutes were really good so there is a pay-off in the end.
jjnxn
jjnxn

November 3, 2009
Awful would be thriller. Jonas Armstrong, a decent actor certainly deserves better than this claptrap.
Beefy
Beefy

September 29, 2009
What starts out as a reasonably familiar but worthwhile haunted house pic goes down in flames with a silly ending. The performances by the two leads can't be faulted. Nice set design work as well.

On a side note, I was watching some of the extras about the making of the film and what in the holy heck happened to Clive Barker?!
Jacob P

October 16, 2011
I liked this movie, I really did. It gave you that eerie feeling when you watched it. I wouldn't say it's the most "suspensful, non-stop scary, with blood in every scene" horror movie in the world, but it was somehow interesting. Interesting story.
Daniel P

September 7, 2011
An incredibly disappointing Clive Barker adaptation, this doesn't have an ounce of Hellraiser or Dread's power. The most interesting aspect is the book-ended wraparound which does actually have some creepy moments - alas most of the film is taken up with boring scenes of not a lot happening in a spooky house, and the script is risible with horrible dialogue. Jonas Armstrong is ok but the performance from Sophie Ward is also horrible, and as she's on the screen most of the time her terrible accent continually distracts.
DrLappos
DrLappos

June 14, 2010
Actually a really well made movie. Okay when anyone sees a Clive Barker film they immediately think Hellraiser. This does make it difficult for all his other films but this is a great movie in its own right. I only had one real issue with it and that was that they didnt explore Florescu's character more. Im sure the book did go into more detail but its difficult to transfer all the information but they did a good job.
Anthony V

October 8, 2008
An intriguing start, and some great scary moments in the middle of the film, but then it just fizzles. If they had come up with a better ending, this would have been one of the better Clive Barker adaptations.
roseypie
roseypie

August 19, 2009
Worst horror film I saw this year.

Actually, the worst film I saw this year.
bamadeb77
bamadeb77

May 10, 2009
Unbelievable Characters with unbelievable actions without any point. The plot jumps from one "topic" to another and everything is getting so confused that you just don't get the goal of this movie. Was it about ghosts, childhood trauma, erotic fantasies or about voyeurs? All these Topics put together in one movie make all the good, dramatic aspects look just laughable. The climax was simply ridiculous too, so to sum it all up - it was a mess of a movie with some good attempts, shocking effects and some nice visuals, but complete absence of credibility. Not worth watching it.
May 13, 2012
November 2, 2010
I was pleasantly surprised by this one, as it adapts the short story rather well, at least as I recall it from reading it 20 years ago.

A medium who is accustomed to faking his communications with the dead finds himself getting very real interactions that turn him into a literal Book Of Blood, which also allows me to hoot and point at the screen when they say the name of the film in the film.

Worth a look for Barker fans.
June 6, 2010
Someone was definitely smoking crack when they wrote this one...Freaky, yet I just had to watch it. Yes, this one is a for sure "B" made for SyFy alright..."
dvdwld
January 10, 2010
A very slow moving movie. The ending makes the movie but is too little too late. It's an original premise but poorly executed. Hopefully the next movie in this series will be better executed.
November 22, 2009
Reminded me of the fantastic Perfect Creature in quite a few ways, and I mean that in the ebst sort of way. This one has some weak moments though, and loses it's focus from time to time, but overall, very impressive with a great cast and a perfect ending.
November 20, 2009
Nothing really special about this one. Just a little sex and gore. I wish Clive Barker would direct his one stories for the big screen.
missbarbieinpink
November 15, 2009
Book of blood

Clive barker is awesome. I am frightened by everything he makes. The opening is gorey from the start. It shows a man eating at a dinner dripping blood into his eggs. Another man takes him with him and ties him down. He mentions him being the book of blood. A girl is killed by some paranormal force that rips the skin off her face. Two investigator inspect the house after she dies. A professor is figuring out her pupil can see the future and visions. He claims he doesn't like the attention people give him when he predicts the future. His professor asks him to explore the house of the girls death and he agrees to it. Some very strange writing is burnt into the walls and disturbing sleepless nights. The dialog was a little slow in parts and the ending is a little far fetched. The beat thing about this movie is th gore and blood. Plot could
Be better and could have casted a hotter actress for the sex scence!
Horror666
September 29, 2009
Ive waited so long for this to come out on dvd since the rumor first arose. I can honestly say i wasnt disappointed, granted a movie can never beat a movie, but this comes awfully
jam233
September 13, 2009
I am trying to thing of the best word to describe this movie...I know, Stupid. It lacks style, substance and an interesting story. Okay, it does have some clever effects and reasonably good budget, but otherwise a stinker.