Splinter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Splinter Reviews

May 13, 2012
Intimate little horror film that happens mainly at a out-of-the-way gas station. A foursome is stranded ... and the station open, yet unattended. For its size surprisingly effective with plenty of tension.
TheDudeLebowski65
October 16, 2010
Splinter is one awesome horror film. Original, inventive, scary and fun, Splinter captures the essence of what used to make Horror such a great genre of film. Director Toby Wilkins has created quite possibly a future classic of Horror. Some people say that this film lacks a back story, however maybe this will be explored in a sequel? Who knows? It's true that the story leaves a few questions unanswered, but usually the questions are answered with a sequel. Toby Wilkins's Splinter is one blood soaked good time. For an Indie Horror film, the acting and story are overall excellent. Also worth mentioning is the incredible effects used in the film. The filmmakers did not use any CGI effects, these were all old school style effects, almost in the style of Rob Bottin, Tom Savini and other great Special effects artists. I thought it was a great touch to the film, and it was very impressive to see on screen. If Toby Wilkins keeps this up, he can become one of the few talented directors who can actually reinvent Horror, and maybe bring it back to it's former glory. Splinter is so good that you can forgive Toby Wilkins for making The Grudge 3. Though not a groundbreaking film in the genre, Splinter does something that is much needed in the genre, and thats making the Horror genre fun again for the Horror fans. Despite it's flaws, you can overlook them because Splinter is a well crafted film with a good enough cast and terrific special effects. The formula for this type of film has been done before, sure; but we can ignore it because Splinter definitely delivers on everything it promises. A fine horror film, Splinter is definitely a step above all those generic Hollywood remakes that don't bring us anything new, except for bad teen actors trying to make it big. Consider this film as an alternative to remakes, you'll have a bloody, gory good time.
FiLmCrAzY
May 21, 2010
An alright horror with decen acting for this type of genre which is nice to see!
Although an alright movie its not scary at all but it does keep you interested enough to watch it till the end however not to sure you'd watch this movie again though!!
I like how its explained and it doesnt look fake at all either which is surprising!!
deano
February 28, 2010
It looks like a zombie movie meets Leviation as this horror film is genuinely frightening. The characters are well drawn for this softa stuff and the siege offers suspense, but director Toby Wilkins never makes our heroes particularly resourceful, and nearly undermines the entire enterprise with his insufferably frenzied direction of attacks.
bbcfloridabound
December 16, 2009
This is about the best modern day Terror film I have seen in a very long time. This one not only made me jump a few times but also had to turn my head. Come out of the vault of those I never heard of via the big screen, so coming across this one was via that of Flixster's friends recommendations. (Thanks All). Starts out with an infected animal gobbling up a gas station attended, our little pet fluffy has somehow been infected with the splinter, and while traveling down the road 2 unsuspecting couples (1 couple being held at gun point) run over fluffy and so our infection of our 4 main stars begin. The special effects are great especially the infected thing that?s holding our cast captive in the gas station, The bending and breaking of body parts compares to no other film out there. Don?t know what everyone else is watching and reviewing. Most don't give this film the respect it deserves. I'm giving it 5 Stars.
ScoopOnline
December 12, 2009
This is a Remake of a Movie I can remember the title.
November 9, 2008
Seth Belzer: [after watching the parasite tear a police officer apart] It ah... it took half of her.

A very generic horror tale that follows a good amount of formula and some cheesy cliches, but its made well enough for a low budget horror creeper flick.

Trapped in an isolated gas station by a hungry and never before seen splinter parasite that transforms its still living victims into deadly hosts. A young couple and an escaped convict must find a way to work together to survive. How did these characters all wind up in this situation? A young couple was on there way to a camping trip, saw a hitchhiker, and of course became hostages of a gun toting man and his druggie girlfriend. They hit something in the middle of the road while driving, turns out to be something deadlier than they could have imagined. The car soon overheats, leading them to the abandoned gas station, where they become trapped.

I know its a low budget film, but the editing style bugged me. It was clearly handled to not reveal too much of the creature effects that would be lacking otherwise, and at times that works, but, especially in the opening sequence, it just set me on a path for what to expect to see in this movie.

The actors are actually good enough, even if their characters are pretty stale, although the ideas and choices that are made do justice to common logic and not stupid ideas. And I can never get enough out of the idea that someone is of course qualified to identify some new creature scientifically. Certainly if the film didn't have so much of a serious tone, I could be more forgiving.

Now, I found this film decent enough. The gore factor and creativity of the creature in question does work. However, I just really hope this doesn't lead to me seeing annoying direct-to-DVD sequals being churned out.

Dennis Farell: Jesus lady, help can't even help us.
Beefy
½ May 6, 2009
Solid if unoriginal low budget horror gem that deserves props for going so far on so little budget. A fun beastie that allows for many amusing homages to other films.
½ November 8, 2008
Okay, it was kind of silly, but for a b-grade horror I didn't mind it.
gor41
½ April 26, 2009
Poor man's 'The Thing'. Boring and predictable.
April 14, 2009
A nice little horror film that knows its genre and more importantly, its limits. Splinter shoves the action into a very confined and isolated place. Gives us just a few characters, and then lets the monster loose. The splintery monster is very original in look and movement. Imagine your bones just start to bend and snap. It's pretty grim stuff. The director cleverly uses shaky cam to up the frantic action and disguise any glaring make-up or effects. The film also has some good characters and very good acting. The pair of couples seem to really have some chemistry and the bonds between people grow. It's a short film and doesn't have any, sit down to get the know the character moments, all this is done through and amidst the action and horror. Certainly worth a watch.
thefog1331
February 21, 2009
A cliche yet fun gory monster movie with likeable characters and a few chills.
Note to the director: Shaky camerawork does not create tension. Only confusion.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ November 8, 2008
"It will get under your skin."

On their way into the wilderness for a romantic weekend alone, a young couple is carjacked by a desperate escaped criminal and his devious girlfriend. Later, as the mismatched couples head ever deeper into the woods, they unknowingly become targeted by a parasitic creature that absorbs the corpses of its human victims. The situation goes from bad to worse when the four travelers seek shelter at an abandoned gas station, and the insatiable creature begins taking them over one by one. With no means of telling who's been infected and who can still be trusted, the prospect of anyone escaping with their lives grows increasingly dim with each passing minute.

Review
The premise has been done many times before, but this film does it right. Apparently "Splinter" is an independent film, but it doesn't deserve to be lumped in the same category as the hundreds of "low budget" horror movies out there that are hardly more than a few friends with a camcorder and some ketchup packets. The production value here looks as good as many Hollywood movies, and the "monster" is done particularly well. The three main actors are great, and the characters are likable.

This movie isn't going to change the genre or make anyone's Top 10 list, but it's definitely one of the more entertaining horror films I've seen in the last couple of years. It's a fun way to spend 80 minutes. My rating is a bit over-inflated simply because there have been so many terrible horror movies put out recently that it was refreshing to genuinely enjoy one from start to finish.
December 1, 2008
What a great little horror movie this was.A simple set up, and yes we seen it all before but this is good stuff on show here.Acting is good sfx are on top form and i don't thing there were any CGI involed the mutant monster was hidious and the running time was short at 80 mins making it very lean and mean.Anyone who likes monster movies check it out.I was surprise how good this was.
November 12, 2008
"It's ok. We're cutting your arm off." with an xacto knife to be precise. The story is a bit of a dull one: crime couple kidnaps camping couple and all four end up stranded at a gas station, fighting with an unknown lifeform that contaminates and possesses its hosts.

The budget is low, but thankfully that doesn't mean the team resorts to bad CGI. All of the "creature" work is pretty damn cool, and the best scene of the splinter creature, taking over an arm, is made effective by the actor. The only attribute of the creature that isn't captured well is its speed; the splinter is meant to be blazing fast but we only know this because the characters remark on its speed.

The camping couple is annoying, asking for death through the final reel. In contrast, the criminal guy becomes likable especially after he survives an arm severance. The final plan to escape is damn absurd and marks this movie as true B. The creature effects compensate though, which is why this gets 3 instead of 2 and a half.
themoviewaffler.com
June 22, 2009
"Splinter" is a fun little movie that plays like a low-budget "The Thing" in a gas station. There's a creature lurking in the woods that infects anyone it comes into contact with and splinters sprout out of their bodies, turning them into blood-hungry killers. The characters hole themselves up in a gas station as the infection spreads. Again we have characters who you don't want to strangle, one is a med student who uses his knowledge to figure out ways to combat the situation, a nice change from the usual morons. This is the kind of movie that could kick off a nice little franchise so watch this space.
May 30, 2011
An Instant Classic. Never Has There Been An antagonist So Creative Yet Disturbing, and Also One Of The Bloodiest\Goriest FIlms I've Ever Seen.
Ryan M
½ May 23, 2011
7.4/10

Take a premise in which people are trapped in a gas-station, add a little fun twist to it, and you've got my attention and my support. The last good gas-station horror flick I saw was "The Mist", which I thoroughly enjoyed. Now comes "Splinter", which is much lesser known, but alas, equally as entertaining.

The trick to making a good gas-station horror film is to not make the gas-station the "wrong one". There are horror films that deal with "wrong gas-stations", and this is not one of them. "The Mist" is not a "wrong gas-station movie" because for one, it does not take place in a gas-station, and two, it does make it clear that people were screwed whether they hid out in a house, a grocery store, or a gas-station alike.

"Splinter" is clever when it all comes down to the final result. I liked it; it's a well-made creature feature that feels like some sort of 80's homage; made better through the fact that this may not be the intentional aim. It's about as funny as it is scary; which makes for a nice blend considering the amount of mediocre to down-right crap that comes out of the horror genre these days. "Splinter" is a nice, fast-paced, and imaginative ride.

Two couples come across each-other in a twist of what I would call fate. One is an innocent, typical couple; one contains a criminal. They drive, together, to the nearest gas-station they can find. The same one that we saw in an opening prologue that involved a guy getting killed by an infected mammal; presumably a porcupine. The first thing that the characters notice is a corpse, which slowly- very slowly- starts to move its way toward them in a zombie-like trance and fashion.

They lock themselves inside the gas-station; reluctant to go outside in fear of being infected by this virus that has spread to the body outside. There it lies, for almost too long, alongside the girl-friend of the criminal. He is compelled to go out there and try to comfort his love, but little does he know, she is indeed laden with infectious zombie-quills and a certain thirst for blood.

I liked this movie because it doesn't take itself as seriously as it could have. If it had gone in that direction, I probably would have hated it, or at least forgotten it, but the film is impressively handled. For what it is, the film is directed with skill and well-acted; suffering only from a lack of explanation for one big- very big- question; how the hell did the porcupine get infected?

That question may never get answered. But it doesn't need to be. "Splinter" is not a masterpiece for its genre, but merely a fun time at the movies. That's all I needed from it. That's all I WANTED from it. And that's what I got; a whole lot of fun. For an independently made flick, the production design is good without being overly slick, and it comes to show that a lower budget may indeed accumulate to more creativity. This is a good thing. In fact, this is a wonderful thing; and real horror filmmakers all started out in this position. Director Toby Wilkins, who also wrote the film and created its monstrous virus, has a future ahead of him, but the road ahead is dimly lit, so I can't say it's a predetermined "good one". But I'll hope for the best.