—— The Identical Sep 05

Middle of Nowhere Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

November 8, 2010
Cast: Susan Sarandon, Anton Yelchin, Eva Amurri, Justin Chatwin, Scott A. Martin, Jeanetta Arnette, Veronica Berry, Kenny Bordes, Willa Holland, Allen Boudreaux

Director: John Stockwell

Summary: Rebellious teenager Dorian (Anton Yelchin) and his serious new friend, Grace (Eva Amurri), go into business selling pot in this engaging indie drama. Dorian wants financial independence, and Grace needs funds for medical school after her mother (Susan Sarandon) screws up her finances. But when the business gets complicated, so do their lives, as both Grace and Dorian find themselves dealing with issues from the past.

My Thoughts: "Not your typical teenage angst film. This one focuses much more on two young adults, one looking to escape his family the other her dysfunctional mother. There's still a bit of sex and drugs, but it's not your main focus. The movie has great acting, music, and a good story to boot. Definitely worth taking a look at."
Cynthia S

January 25, 2011
Anton Yelchin is really proving to be a wonderful actor. I have really liked every movie that he has chosen to be in. This one was no exception. This was a very enjoyable indie drama that turned out to be much better than I expected. It had a good mix of emotional, quirky, and serious drama...in short, my kind of movie. Really good.
Todd S

November 30, 2009
Middle of Nowhere is an independent film and another example of a dark comedy that tries too hard to be funny. They had a weak storyline, but a very strong cast, and I felt it was a film that could have easily been a lot better. Dorian (Anton Yelchin) is a spoiled kid, who never had to work a day in his life. After yet another rebellious act against his parents, the seventeen year old is sent to live with his uncle for the summer. He starts working at the local water park, where he meets Grace (Eva Amurri), a girl who is his complete opposite. She is desperate to earn money for school and Dorian is looking to act out, so the two decide they can both achieve their goals by selling pot together. The story doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me, because the characters are nothing like they describe themselves to be. Dorian is rich and only there for a couple of months, he doesn't need the money, so why take the risk? Grace, she's always had to be the mature one, taking charge of her family, but we don't see her do that at all. The film is definitely a bit strange, while at the same time being somewhat slow and predictable, but what makes it worth seeing is Anton Yelchin. The Russian born, former child actor, has such charisma and really thrives in roles like this. If you saw Charlie Bartlett, then you know exactly what I am talking about. Yelchin is on another level, outgoing, energetic, quick witted, he's the kid in this film, but as it would turn out, he's also the smartest one of all. Yelchin's personality is larger than life and he will completely draw you in, sadly, other than his performance, this film wasn't much of anything. The story is predictable, the humor is dry, and the rest of the cast really wasn't anything special.
June 2, 2011
"Middle Of Nowhere is a pretty good movie, i liked it thanks to excellent performances. The biggest name in the movie is: Susan Sarandon who was great as usual but it's the young talented cast that standout here. Eva Amurri from Showtime's Californication gives a good performance, similar to Jesse Eisenberg' in Adventureland. Willa Holland as the younger sister of Amurri's character is good here, this is the second time i've seen here (I first saw her in Legion), she's a pretty decent actress. But the show to me goes to the quickly rising star Anton Yelchin, he's gives probably his best performance of his career even better than in Alpha Dog, he's quickly becoming one of the best young actors by picking awesome roles, it's a matter of time when he''ll get an Oscar nod (he's an awesome actor)."
July 30, 2013
This romantic comedy may be entertaining but it blends so well with the other American so called indie flicks of its time that it seems forgettable and severely lacking in originality.
December 15, 2012
I liked it more than I thought, especially thanks to Anton Yelchin's performance, he steals the show in the movie.
September 20, 2011
An interesting character study film...though I felt the most likeable and believable person in this film is Anton Yelchin. He did an unbelievably good job in this movie, and even if you just see this film for his performance, it makes it worth watching. Not a perfect film, but one made so much better with Yelchin's shine.
January 9, 2012
I liked it.
It didn't follow the usual script of either teenage comeupance or sticking it to the man. It was a nice thoughtful film.
Maybe it was my complete boredom that gave it the extra zist but I really liked. Nice background scenery in the driving sections, slow meandering pace and funny insights. No background narrative ala Goodefellas and ripped off everywhere else.
The ending was probably a little bittersweet/ ridiculous. In saying that, maybe everyone is not meant to be together and maybe it's not ridiculous.
I really wanted him to give his birth mam a huge, so it worked on me, in that I felt for the character of Dorian, and thought some of precocious Taylor's comments, " are you selling drugs?", "let's got to Atlantic city", were brilliant.
Maybe it failed a bit with the central character of Grace, it's difficult to care too much about her, especially with respect to her cliched romance with Ben, zzzz. and the fact that she is like a mono dimensional movie character but it's a surprise to see an average rating of 57%. Dorian describes how she is brilliant, etc. but it's hard to see how she's all that, sullen, pouty and totally ignoring and stringing along Dorian. I guess she probably worked as a character too as the annoyance still lingers on.
Why not at the very least insist she will pay Dorian back the money, (character)? It's a pity. Why doesn't she say anything apart from money. Why not say something like, "if you don't understand without the explanation, you won't understand with the explanation!".
It reminds me a bit of Igby goes down. That won a shed load of awards, etc. but this has seemingly garnered little or no attention.
I only watched it because it was a ,1 rental on itunes plus I thought it would be a girly flick for my wife but having watched it, I actually really liked it.
June 13, 2011
random movie i decided to check out because it was on netflix, it was actually pretty enjoyable. the ending with the girls didn't leave me happy though.
March 3, 2011
That was a damn good movie. One of the better "hip teen" flicks I've ever seen.
February 19, 2011
This movie effortlessly blended lighthearted comedy with the underbelly of family relations. Eva Amurri is a wonderful actress and her chemistry with Anton Yelchin is refreshing. I recommend this to everyone.
noodlez
January 26, 2011
solid cast and acting throughout. nice story with sub-plots.
January 4, 2011
awesome movie ...loved it. After American Beauty ...this is d movie i loved d most when it comes typical drama american movie. Dont go by the poster ...its just wonderful movie with full of touchin moments.
AJAX
August 12, 2010
This could have been a really boring movie about young kids trying to find answers to their hardships, but thanks to a good cast and solid acting, it's definitely worth a watch.

Yelchin and Surandon are great as usual, and the supporting cast delivers well. Adventureland, this is not, but leaving the comedy out and powerdriving the drama, it succeeds at slower than necessary pace.