Middle of Nowhere - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Middle of Nowhere Reviews

July 6, 2010
Not bad, though thought it might have been a little better. I think the main problem was the casting (aside from Susan Sarandon, who is excellent, though an unlike able character). I didn't really like the two leads, although the younger sister was not bad - I would have liked a little more of her story.
The drugs angle felt a little tired, and done to death too, though, to be fair, this is from 2008, so it probably wasn't such a done theme as it is now.
LWOODS04
½ November 8, 2010
Cast: Susan Sarandon, Anton Yelchin, Eva Amurri, Justin Chatwin, Scott A. Martin, Jeanetta Arnette, Veronica Berry, Kenny Bordes, Willa Holland, Allen Boudreaux

Director: John Stockwell

Summary: Rebellious teenager Dorian (Anton Yelchin) and his serious new friend, Grace (Eva Amurri), go into business selling pot in this engaging indie drama. Dorian wants financial independence, and Grace needs funds for medical school after her mother (Susan Sarandon) screws up her finances. But when the business gets complicated, so do their lives, as both Grace and Dorian find themselves dealing with issues from the past.

My Thoughts: "Not your typical teenage angst film. This one focuses much more on two young adults, one looking to escape his family the other her dysfunctional mother. There's still a bit of sex and drugs, but it's not your main focus. The movie has great acting, music, and a good story to boot. Definitely worth taking a look at."
January 25, 2011
Anton Yelchin is really proving to be a wonderful actor. I have really liked every movie that he has chosen to be in. This one was no exception. This was a very enjoyable indie drama that turned out to be much better than I expected. It had a good mix of emotional, quirky, and serious drama...in short, my kind of movie. Really good.
½ November 30, 2009
Middle of Nowhere is an independent film and another example of a dark comedy that tries too hard to be funny. They had a weak storyline, but a very strong cast, and I felt it was a film that could have easily been a lot better. Dorian (Anton Yelchin) is a spoiled kid, who never had to work a day in his life. After yet another rebellious act against his parents, the seventeen year old is sent to live with his uncle for the summer. He starts working at the local water park, where he meets Grace (Eva Amurri), a girl who is his complete opposite. She is desperate to earn money for school and Dorian is looking to act out, so the two decide they can both achieve their goals by selling pot together. The story doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me, because the characters are nothing like they describe themselves to be. Dorian is rich and only there for a couple of months, he doesn't need the money, so why take the risk? Grace, she's always had to be the mature one, taking charge of her family, but we don't see her do that at all. The film is definitely a bit strange, while at the same time being somewhat slow and predictable, but what makes it worth seeing is Anton Yelchin. The Russian born, former child actor, has such charisma and really thrives in roles like this. If you saw Charlie Bartlett, then you know exactly what I am talking about. Yelchin is on another level, outgoing, energetic, quick witted, he's the kid in this film, but as it would turn out, he's also the smartest one of all. Yelchin's personality is larger than life and he will completely draw you in, sadly, other than his performance, this film wasn't much of anything. The story is predictable, the humor is dry, and the rest of the cast really wasn't anything special.
December 18, 2011
Eva Amurri is probably one of my favorite little known actresses. She just seems like a real person, and always plays her parts like she's actually living them.
In this movie, she plays Grace, who's main goal in life is to go to school and become a doctor. That is all put in to jeopardy because her mother, played by Susan Sarandon who is Amurri's mom in real life, recklessly went through all of her money. She meets Dorian, played by Anton Yelchin from Alpha Dog and Star Trek, who talks her into joining his "business" for extra money.
This movie is very sweet, real and has a ton of heart. It surprised me in how good it actually was. Definitely a must-see for anyone who agrees that one the biggest obstacles in life is the fact that you can pick your friends but you can't pick your family.
October 14, 2011
I expected this to be just another slacker/druggie flick, but that's not the point at all. Anton Yelchin and Eva Amurri both deliver such realistic, moving performances that it doesn't matter that the movie is a bit slow-moving. They're both so relatable, and the entire film flows really nicely. I was very impressed.
June 2, 2011
"Middle Of Nowhere is a pretty good movie, i liked it thanks to excellent performances. The biggest name in the movie is: Susan Sarandon who was great as usual but it's the young talented cast that standout here. Eva Amurri from Showtime's Californication gives a good performance, similar to Jesse Eisenberg' in Adventureland. Willa Holland as the younger sister of Amurri's character is good here, this is the second time i've seen here (I first saw her in Legion), she's a pretty decent actress. But the show to me goes to the quickly rising star Anton Yelchin, he's gives probably his best performance of his career even better than in Alpha Dog, he's quickly becoming one of the best young actors by picking awesome roles, it's a matter of time when he''ll get an Oscar nod (he's an awesome actor)."
August 12, 2010
This could have been a really boring movie about young kids trying to find answers to their hardships, but thanks to a good cast and solid acting, it's definitely worth a watch.

Yelchin and Surandon are great as usual, and the supporting cast delivers well. Adventureland, this is not, but leaving the comedy out and powerdriving the drama, it succeeds at slower than necessary pace.
½ July 19, 2010
An aptly named teenage dramedy starring Anton Yelchin (Star Trek, Alpha Dog) and Eva Amurri (The Banger Sisters, Saved!). While the story has compelling characters you do begin to care about, when it is all over you are left nowhere other than amidst a wide range of feelings and/or thoughs (so you are in the middle). The movie is paced well and the story is plausible; but that might perhaps be its biggest obstacle to overcome. There is nothing that takes this above or beyond. I did particularly begin to enjoy the relationship between this odd-pairing of friends -- him a slacker rebel and her a serious-minded college aspirant. Their final scene together shows great promise for the young Amurri, who is Susan Sarandon's real life daughter (I think this pairing of the two is their second as being cast as mother/daughter). The movie's poster is as misleading as can be since NOBODY wears a swimsuit like that anytime in this movie ... I don't understand the images at all. The poster and the film's apparant lack of marketing has kept this as an "unkown" movie. I think both of these stars will probably still have careers 20 years down the road so this may one day be a "remember when" kind of a film. The film is watchable ... but I don't think it is something that will really stay with you. Ask me about it in a week or two and you'll probably have to remind me what movie this is.
July 6, 2010
December 26, 2010
These characters were amazing. The ending was rather bittersweet and yet perfect for this story.
January 7, 2014
Great cast with a sad plot, but heartwarming ending.
½ November 30, 2009
July 30, 2013
This romantic comedy may be entertaining but it blends so well with the other American so called indie flicks of its time that it seems forgettable and severely lacking in originality.
December 15, 2012
I liked it more than I thought, especially thanks to Anton Yelchin's performance, he steals the show in the movie.
August 14, 2012
Beautiful Eva Amurri is Grace, a very prim young woman who works at a waterpark and lives with her mom and sister in a large mansion. She meets a young man, also from a wealthy background, who gets into trouble and has been exiled to his uncle's home. He invites her to be his partner as he makes a living off of selling drugs to other people and surprisingly, due to a great need of money for paying off debts and paying for school, she agrees to his scheme.

Throughout the film we see the two go through their lives, their decisions, their mistakes learning and trying to do their best, dealing with the family and family secrets that they have. Grace meets a guy and soon her glorious beauty is revealed slowly, unfurled, on a brief date that they go out on.

We see her relationship with her younger sister and her rather flighty mom change gradually. Her sister latches onto the guy whom Grace is partnered with and the sister almost ends up in trouble when she accompanies him out to a party. 8/10
June 16, 2012
Adolescentes lidiando con dramas familiares. Yelchin tiene algo que lo hace adorable.
September 20, 2011
An interesting character study film...though I felt the most likeable and believable person in this film is Anton Yelchin. He did an unbelievably good job in this movie, and even if you just see this film for his performance, it makes it worth watching. Not a perfect film, but one made so much better with Yelchin's shine.
January 9, 2012
I liked it.
It didn't follow the usual script of either teenage comeupance or sticking it to the man. It was a nice thoughtful film.
Maybe it was my complete boredom that gave it the extra zist but I really liked. Nice background scenery in the driving sections, slow meandering pace and funny insights. No background narrative ala Goodefellas and ripped off everywhere else.
The ending was probably a little bittersweet/ ridiculous. In saying that, maybe everyone is not meant to be together and maybe it's not ridiculous.
I really wanted him to give his birth mam a huge, so it worked on me, in that I felt for the character of Dorian, and thought some of precocious Taylor's comments, " are you selling drugs?", "let's got to Atlantic city", were brilliant.
Maybe it failed a bit with the central character of Grace, it's difficult to care too much about her, especially with respect to her cliched romance with Ben, zzzz. and the fact that she is like a mono dimensional movie character but it's a surprise to see an average rating of 57%. Dorian describes how she is brilliant, etc. but it's hard to see how she's all that, sullen, pouty and totally ignoring and stringing along Dorian. I guess she probably worked as a character too as the annoyance still lingers on.
Why not at the very least insist she will pay Dorian back the money, (character)? It's a pity. Why doesn't she say anything apart from money. Why not say something like, "if you don't understand without the explanation, you won't understand with the explanation!".
It reminds me a bit of Igby goes down. That won a shed load of awards, etc. but this has seemingly garnered little or no attention.
I only watched it because it was a ,1 rental on itunes plus I thought it would be a girly flick for my wife but having watched it, I actually really liked it.