Loft Reviews

½ January 24, 2015
In its insistence on being smart and surprising - which this efficient thriller is for the most part - it also comes off as a bit contrived and over the top like a Melrose Place-like soap-opera, directed and edited as a telefilm and whose dialogue sounds at times pretty expository.
mvieaddict
February 4, 2011
I am not familiar with Belgium cinema and these actors were all unknown for me but even so the movie LOFT, proved to be a very engaging and complicated tale about five married men, best friends, sharing a loft apartment as a playground for their affairs, and a meeting point for their mistresses. Eventually one of them became an object of a crime scene, so the story opened about these five friends, united in their common benefits, which turned later into an exciting who did it puzzle game. They started to fight each other, all with their own excuse and where they don;t trust each other anymore. Through mystery building flash-backs, the movie lead to several clever twists and turns. I won't be giving away anything more about this movie, cause this would ruin the experience, but in some ways you would be amazed by the ending.
July 13, 2012
Loft (Erik van Looy, 2008)

Erik van Looy, a prolific short and TV director, has made just four feature films over the past decade. And if you live in America, the chances that you saw the first two (one of which, for the record, stars Mickey Rourke) are pretty slim. But his third, The Memory of a Killer, should have made van Looy a household name. It is the kind of movie that you walk out of, if you lock in with the director's rhythm, having become a lifelong fan of everyone involved. It was made during the unfortunately-brief period when it seemed like every really good up-and-coming European director was making fantastic neo-noir crime thrillers-Fresnadillo's Intacto, The Memory of a Killer, Babulani's 13 Tzameti, Audiard's The Beat that My Heart Skipped, easily a dozen more. They're all brilliant. (I've said more than once that while I can never quite get my head around what's so great about the French New Wave, I understand the feeling those critics rave about when I watch those early-21st-century Eurocrime movies, which are just as much a movement.) And thus I awaited van Looy's next effort with bated breath. Even more so when I discovered that it contained a role for Jean Decleir, the killer from that previously-mentioned van Looy film. (If that's your main reason for seeing it, his role is little more than a cameo.) And when I finally got round to being able to see it-Hollywood is in the process of remaking it, which makes it difficult to find in America-it was quite a letdown. It's a stylish little mystery/thriller, don't get me wrong, but the style is really all there is to it. It's quite conventional, and more importantly, predictable if you've seen enough movies in the genre to consider yourself a fan.

Plot: five friends hatch a plot to keep a swank loft as a place where they can take their dalliances. Chris (Koen de Bouw, also returning from The Memory of a Killer), the ringleader, only makes five keys for the place, and each of them has one. So when the body of a young woman turns up in the loft, there are obviously only five suspects, and the five friends realize they don't know one another nearly as well as they previously thought. The more they dig into the mystery, the more dirty laundry appears...

Loft, IMDB's trivia section tells us, is the most well-attended Belgian film in history in its native country, with over 1.1 million paid admissions (the previous record-holder, Koko Flanel, came in at 1.09 million. As a side note, it, too, contains Jean Decleir). And if you look at it as what would happen if Agatha Christie, say, had penned a Schwarzenegger flick, where less stuff blows up but there's the same element of turn-of-your-brain-and-have-a-good-time, that makes perfect sense. It's a stock plot with stock characters, a few expected twists thrown in by the expected characters. It's safe. It's the same kind of predictability you get when you walk into a Schwarzie flick; you know beyond any reasonable doubt even before the movie begins that Ahhnold will still be alive at the end, probably grinning and giving the camera a thumbs-up. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and if you're looking for something safe that doesn't require a great deal of thought, I can't recommend this highly enough. But if you're looking for a worthy follow-up to The Memory of a Killer, you'll have to wait for it until van Looy is finished trying (and, like most other European directors who find themselves in Hollywood's clutches, probably failing) to make a decent movie within the Hollywood machine. ***
½ March 12, 2015
A masterpiece of Hitchcockian proportions, Loft is a close-quarters, foreign thriller that kept me guessing right until the end and the mystery unfolds masterfully. The all-Belgian cast is excellent at casting doubt amongst the men, and I totally bought their chemistry as both friends and possible foes. The story is very simple, but absolutely perfect for the director's vision and the constant use of flashbacks to deliver the necessary information was flawless. I was blown away by this film and wouldn't have known a thing about it had it not been for the "allegedly" terrible American remake; what a shame that could've been. The ending went one twist too far in my opinion and lessened the impact of an already stellar conclusion, but that is the only fault I can find in this remarkable film and it's further proof that the best stories don't always come out of Hollywood!
February 14, 2015
Tightly plotted, suspenseful and well acted, Loft is an intelligent, well crafted thriller that keeps you guessing until the very end.
½ May 18, 2012
Best flemisch movie ever, box office hit in Belgium and in 2012 a American remake with James Marsden, Karl Urban, ...
March 25, 2014
It looked pretty straight-forward - how can anything go wrong if we all keep our secret so nobody finds out and nobody gets hurt. Boys-own group-think, or so we are led to believe. You do need to pay attention. It reminded me of some of the dark Scandinavian mysteries. Well worth a watch.
½ November 30, 2013
Loft is a great mystery thriller from Belgium. It has all the elements and makes good use of them.
½ September 20, 2013
Overated movie. But it's still an interesting concept. The photography is also very good and a score that keeps the tension until the end.
½ August 8, 2013
Intriguing and captivating. This film will have your attention during all its length because of the great direction of Erik Van Looy and the powerful performances of the five men who lead the story. Loft is a little bit predictable because of the behavior of some characters but it's a powerful thriller and drama that should be watched by any movie fan.
½ April 16, 2013
Great Belgian movie made by an amazing director. There's going to be an American release soon so watch out America, "Loft" is going to rule the world!
September 29, 2012
Sexist classist misogynistic crap. opening credits plagarize the Bourne series and body or whatever falling onto car is from Infernal Affairs. Blah- why not five women.
September 25, 2012
A bit on the dark side of things but does not lack originality.
August 14, 2012
Engaging and well executed, a film with these much twists satisfies.
August 31, 2011
This is a pretty cleverly plotted an excellent Whodunit murder-mystery-thriller from Belgium. Gave it a watch as I lately read that an American remake is on the way from the same director (Erik Van Looy) of this original. Highly recommended.
July 16, 2011
Geslaagde belgische thriller met een goed plot en intens spel. Er is ook een nederlandse remake, maar kijk eerst het Origineel.
½ May 31, 2011
Oke,ik heb net de Nederlandse gezien,maar die staat hier nog niet bij.(Jahaa,de Belgische schijnt beter te zijn.) Ik vond'm erg boeiend en vermakelijk. Aan het einde helaas wat over de top,maar voor de rest kijkt ie erg lekker weg.
½ April 28, 2011
Loft~'第次 1/2,蠻 1/2 1/2 就~? (R)"人..., 1/2? 1/2~?實>''~- ! 寫 3/4 1/2 5>...??頭 3/4...實,~破綻?~''太注? ~ 3/4 3/4 (R)~" 1/2人就~??-? !
April 22, 2011
This was a very stylish and nasty depiction of men, at their predatory worst in Belgium. It was just a little too contrived...but made you watch til the end...to see who done it.
September 24, 2010
Inteligente. Pena que se perde tentando fazer mais uma reviravolta no final, perdendo assim o real impacto.