April Showers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

April Showers Reviews

½ December 20, 2010
This movie had some good moments, but it was very sporadic in its attempt to mesh. Plus, there were a few scenes where I just could not make out what they were saying due to poor sound quality. ELEPHANT, tho a lower budget movie, was much better. I do respect the main characters true life struggle in dealing with the Columbine tragedy, however. I only wish they would have found a better way to portray it.
April 26, 2009
A compelling, indie drama with an interesting non-linear style of storytelling about a shooting at an average American high school. One fact of note here is that the writer and director of this film, Andrew Robinson, is himself a Columbine graduate and a survivor of the tragic 1999 shooting. Robinson's unique perspective lends a deeply personal and jarringly real quality to the film. This film is also no doubt a landmark in Robinson's own journey to cope in some way with the unfathomably traumatic event that happened to him ten years prior.

The story focuses on the survivors of the shooting rather than on the shooter himself. After all, these were the people Robinson likely knew and understood best. The non-linear format allows us to escape the confines of the horrific event going on at the school that day and get to know the characters and their struggles. We get a glimpse at the unimaginable aftermath that these survivors, like Robinson, must now live and deal with. Much of the film centers around one survivor in particular, a boy named Sean. Sean is left to cope with the horror he witnesses that day as well as the loss of close friends.

Something I personally connected with is the idea that you always think there will be more time. Sean's time with his friend April was cut short, and he was left with unfinished business that will never be truly resolved.

I found this movie to be bold, emotional, captivating, awakening, and provokative. It's one I'd recommend, and one I won't soon forget.
July 6, 2013
"April Showers" is a chilling recreation of the Columbine High School shooting. Andrew Robinson, a senior at Columbine during the shootings, writes and directs this film to create a once-in-a-lifetime perspective of these events from the inside. I appreciate that the names and some of the details were changed out of respect for those who were killed during this tragedy. DISCLAIMER: This film is really difficult to watch, particularly if you are a teacher, student, or parent with a child in school (so basically everybody). They are tasteful in not directly showing people being killed, but the panic is enough to send chills down your spine. The film reenacts the shooting several times from the perspectives of students in different areas of the school. Following the tragedy, each student copes with their experience in a different way. The main emotion the the students struggle with is guilt, questioning why their life was spared, feeling responsible for the death of another, or never telling someone that they loved them. Every scene is important, from the shootings to the tearful funeral. The most chilling part of the film occurs at the very end as the names of every innocent person killed in a school shooting scrolls by on the screen, from the University of Texas in 1966 to Dillard High School in 2008. This film is dedicated in loving memory to all of those who we lost, and to those who survived. I think that tears are inevitable at the end of "April Showers. This film isn't designed for entertainment; it is a tribute to those who lost their lives and a necessary empathetic device to help us avoid another tragedy like this happening again.
½ January 22, 2013
Disgusting, disturbing film. Whoever thought a Columbine survivor should make a movie about a school shooting seriously didn't think it through too well. Never mind the actual school shooting, the aftermath is perhaps the most warped part. Produced by Pure Motive and EMO Films, they are up front and center about the film from their names alone. Overly long, it is 104 minutes, not 94 unlike what Flixster says. I'll even overlook the confusing casting of Tom Arnold (who I'm sure is proud of his role, it is among his best work - but no one can separate him from him which sullies his performance), but I cannot forgive the three parallel stories of three men. The main character is a total nutjob, the false hero is waaaaaaay too overdone, and the scapegoat is worse than both of them. Notice how the police and media are depicted as overly aggressive, scheming, evil, etc. Don't let Robinson make a movie like this. Let him make a different movie - that's fine. But too much doesn't ring true in this film. It just feels like a diary entry - which coincidentally is how the movie ends. Horrifically in poor taste from start to finish. It's not gross, it's not overly exploitive, it's just wrong.
½ July 28, 2012
Brilliant. Simply Brilliant. The acting was great and the plot line was captivating (as it was written by a Columbine survivor.) This is a must-see
½ July 23, 2011
This movie will have an effect on anyone that watches it, but especially on those that were in high school during some of these more prominent school shootings. This had to have been a difficult movie to make. Overall this is a great story, but there are times when things are hard to follow through one boy's flashbacks and another boy's mental breakdown.
½ September 5, 2010
This movie is directly about Columbine, it's a wonderful movie and it raises some great points. Worth the 90 minutes to watch it.
June 12, 2010
A decently made file about one of the worst events our generation contributed to American history. Oh, and my Father-in-law is in it.
½ October 26, 2009
July 9, 2009
One of the best movies I've seen. "April Showers" is one of the most important movies of the decade.
June 26, 2009
An inspiring piece, where reality comes to life as we look back at Columbine and the other events that transpire around us. Well done.
November 21, 2013
I'm not sure how 'true' this is, and the whole bible bashing part was a bit much - I mean saying that if young people grew up believing in a God/Religion they wouldn't have done what they did, are you serious? Religion is the cause of wars and deaths for centuries. and still is. There wasn't much to do with the killers (well nothing about them at all). This movie was your lunch time movie you would watch on your days off work or if you are sick in bed. Not sure how true this story is, or how true these characters are. Like many other true stories, things are left out, things are added in and dramatised and romanticised. So the true story, turns into a small percentage of the truth. I thought the film ELEPHANT was the best film made about the Columbine High School massacre.
½ August 29, 2013
While It Has It Obvious Flaws And Somewhat Mediocre Acting For What It Was It Was A Good Film From Someone Who Survived That Horror In Columbine This Wouldn't Of Been An Easy Film To Make But Andrew Robinson Did A Good Job And Is Well Worth The Watch
July 6, 2013
April 29, 2013
A very underrated film
May 27, 2013
Best movie I have seen in years! I cried the whole way threw. Very realistic. Very moving.
½ January 22, 2013
September 12, 2012
this is a very sad movie
½ July 28, 2012