Beautiful - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beautiful Reviews

July 27, 2014
Quite an interesting, small Australian thriller. I remember seeing the poster in film-ink, and then never heard a thing about it again until it showed up on free to air TV recently.
Good cast and interesting premise. Asher Keddie is particularly effective in her small role.
A lot remains unanswered and the ending is odd, but interesting movie. Glad I finally had a chance to see it.
March 16, 2011
This one suprised me. A young beautiful girl gets an even younger boy to do her bidding, which has malice. She does this just for her own entertainment, and just because she can. The boy and the girl are both unknown actors whom do a good job facilitating the story. Some of the other actors are not as compelling, but all in all its worth a watch. While the story has been told before, it does manage to pull off an ending that you dont entirely see coming....even though a little confusing.
½ July 11, 2010
An intriguing, if somewhat incomplete, story of a shy young man who is manipulated by his attractive older neighbor into spying on the mysterious woman at #46. Their overactive imaginations are inflamed by the mysterious disappearance of three teenage girls from the neighborhood and the strange behavior of the reclusive woman in the house at the end of the street. Danny (Sebastian Gregory) has a crush on Suzy (Tahnya Tozzi) and is easily persuaded to do her dirty work. The fact that his mother is no longer in the picture has a bearing on the story, and Peta Wilson is marvelous as his stepmother. Her character exhibited just the right mix of tender and tough. The plot has some holes and stretches credibility, especially with an ending designed more to shock than to solve the mystery. It is entertaining, just don't ask too much from it.
DrStrangeblog
½ September 6, 2011
I should have listened to the underwhelming response here, but the intriguing trailer on Encore gave me hope that even if it wasn't any good, it'd be interesting to watch. And it is, for awhile, until the glacial pace drags you down with it.

This is essentially Australian Beauty with the voyeuristic photographer kid and his attractive neighbor parts thrust into the ugly-beneath-the-polished-facade world of Blue Velvet as they probe the mysteries behind the doors of the house at #46. The introverted photographer kid looks like Elijah Wood at his most bewildered and is very one-note, which grows frustrating as he is supposed to carry the movie. The pacing of many scenes is awful and drag on for no reason so I grew tired of this potentially interesting mystery, and then got completely shortchanged with a pathetic ending that is as hard to swallow as it is underwritten. Save your time and don't bother.
½ September 12, 2011
A very dark psychological drama more than it is a mystery -- although it is that too -- is a little known gem. The film is effectively written and directed. The acting is top notch. And it looks very good, with excellent cinematography. The musical score is unobtrusive (until the final credits roll) but furthers the dark mood of the film. While it plays with familiar tropes (like lonely teens, dysfunctional families, rumors, serial killers, neighborhood legends, etc.) the story is basically an original treatment of its subject matter. It tells enough for the intelligent viewer to understand but practices enough ellipsis to demand that you must think in order to follow what happens and why. The story's commentaries on small communities, conformity, and lack of communication are very effectively conveyed -- a bit of heavy handedness in this regard is offset with a delicious slyness of delivery. An excellent psychological thriller.
March 7, 2010
awesome little film if ya ask me. the ending is a bit wonky....but it really reminded me of an american beauty meets donnie darko meets the lovely bones kinda flick. the story isn't perfect but it's written fairly well and the photography is...well, simply beautiful. nice little aussie film that i am glad i stumbled across.
August 10, 2009
Without a doubt one of the best movies I've seen in years. I really don't understand the criticisms of the reviewer on here giving the movie 60 percent. Though it is difficult to review this one without giving too much away, I'll try. First, not all is as it seems, with the possible exception of Danny. We have the benefit of seeing things almost exclusively through his eyes, and though he may not always be correct, he does have a tendency to wear his heart on his sleeves. Other than that, everything is fair game. Are there really missing girls? Or is it all urban legend? The movie doesn't reveal the answer until the very end. But what we learn at the end is crucial, and it is the thread that ties the whole movie together. This is a movie about perception versus reality and how difficult it is to tell the difference. It is also (though to a much lesser extent and I would argue this is the movie's biggest downfall) a movie about redemption. Can a leopard change its spots? More importantly, will anyone allow the leopard to change or will it be forever branded dangerous and therefore kept carefully guarded inside a cage? Can we really escape our pasts, or worse yet, our own minds? This is definitely a movie about fear and what it does to us. But unlike the other reviewer, I find the fact that we are not allowed to see the fear except for very brief glimpses here and there very telling. It is there, and the fear itself creates the danger in many ways. Without giving too much away, I will say that at the end there is a woman looking out over the street where she lives. She says she 'knows' things. She will have to take it upon herself to look out for the neighborhood and safeguard everyone. But what does she know? The movie suggests she doesn't know much. How can she protect anyone? The movie suggests she can't. No one can know what is in the mind of another human being. We can only trust, or distrust. This movie drives that sentiment home with a bang! Oh, and you'd best beware of bored teenagers. Beware.
August 5, 2009
A twisted film about an unnamed killer that somehow kept me interested the entire duration. I felt like I wanted to know more about the characters and I think if they would have spent more time on that, the film would be a bit more believable. The film ends with many loose ends and room for the mind to wonder.
July 27, 2014
½ September 12, 2011
March 24, 2014
a lot of talented people work on movies that aren't that great. The 'making of' was better than the actual - sorry :-(
½ April 25, 2013
very very strange movie which didnt make any sense
July 1, 2012
Dean O'Flaherty's deliciously photographed and fascinating film about manipulation and paranoia, primarily seen through the eyes of an alienated youth, has a lot of layers to it, never allowing its audience to divert their attention from where it should be, with strong performances from Sebastian Gregory, Tahyna Tozzi, Aaron Jeffery and Socratis Otto pushing things forward. Not since 'Lantana' (2001) has an Australian suburban drama delivered such a magnificent punch!
½ January 29, 2012
Started off intriguing and atmospheric, but became a stupid melodramatic nonsensical mess by the end. Blah.
½ January 21, 2012
A nice little Aussie import, part thriller, part coming of age all suburbia with a bit of blue velvet. The pacing is a bit slow and some of the subplots seem unnecessary and lead nowhere but the ending is worth it and the main character though young pulls off his role perfectly.
½ April 26, 2011
Plusieurs gens m'ont vanté les mérites du film, alors que d'autres m'ont désapprouvé ceux-ci. C'est donc avec absolument aucune attente que j'ai décidé de visionner Beautiful pour m'en faire ma propre opinion. À mon premier visionnement, j'avais apprécié. Par contre, ce fut une toute autre opinion que j'ai eu de ce premier film australien de Dean O'Flaherty lors de mon deuxième visionnement. Beautiful comporte ses hauts et ses bas, mais n'est certainement pas de toute beauté!

Daniel est un adolescent de quatorze ans que l'on pourrait qualifier de curieux et voyeur. Dans la petite ville de Sunshine Hills, Dany vit avec son père et sa belle-mère. Pendant ses nombreux temps libres, il s'amuse à photographier un peu n'importe quoi, mais surtout sa voisine Suzy. Au court du temps, le jeune homme tentera de retrouver sa mère biologique qu'il n'a jamais connue. D'un autre côté, il se joindra à Suzy afin de découvrir le secret caché derrière les étranges disparitions des jeunes femmes du quartier. Et qui sait, peut-être que la femme de la maison 46 en sait plus qu'on ne le pense à ce sujet...

Une voix qui énumère les disparitions d'adolescentes, un petit effet ralenti et le tout accompagné d'une musique bien simple, mais mystérieuse: telle est l'idée principale de l'introduction et c'est réussit! Déjà le film commence efficacement en nous introduisant dans un univers intriguant. Je n'ai rien à dire pour cette partie! Par contre, le premier défaut du film se démontre dès la fin de cette intro. Effectivement, celle-ci coupe beaucoup trop brusquement pour rien, rappelant les débuts de télé-séries commençant par ''dans l'épisode précédant''! Ce n'est pas bien grave, mais avec un fade out, ce commencement aurait été bien plus accrocheur.

Pour continuer, un des points forts de Beautiful est dans sa bande-originale. En faite, oui et non: je m'explique! Cette soundtrack merveilleusement composée par Kym Green et Bryce Jacobs nous crée une bonne atmosphère qui s'allie bien avec le genre du film. D'un autre côté, les mélodies sont trop sur-utilisées. De plus, nous assistons à trop de scènes dépourvues de dialogues et de son au profit de cette musique. Bien sûr, Dean O'Flaherty voulait que Beautiful soit incroyable par le visuel et l'audition. Par contre, à force d'entendre toujours les deux-trois mêmes tounes plus ou moins inutilement à chaque changement de scène, ça devient ennuyant. La bande-originale a beau être merveilleuse, mais trop c'est comme pas assez! Cependant, Beautiful comporte aussi ses points positifs qui ne sont pas à nier! Comme l'a affirmé le réalisateur dans le Behind the scene, il souhaitait un visuel bien alléchant. C'est ce qu'il a obtenu d'ailleurs! Beautiful est, visuellement parlant, plus que magnifique (quand je repense à Tahyna Tozzi étendue sur une chaise, sous la pluie! Sans parler des gros plans sur les fleurs humides du jardin). Les plans utilisés pendant ces scènes sont beaux et originaux! Le seul point négatif avec cet esthétisme, c'est qu'il a moins rapport pendant les moments de tension et cette beauté devient alors une mauvaise idée.

Dans un autre ordre d'idée, l'histoire reste quelque peu intrigante et je me suis surpris à me faire mes hypothèses. Ce n'est ni du Sherlock Holmes ni un des meilleurs scénarios écrits, on s'entend. Par contre, celui-ci possède de bons punch révélateurs pendant toute la durée du film. Ce qui est dommage, c'est que ceux-ci auraient pu nous mettre sur le cul, mais ils sont tellement mal annoncés, qu'ils passent un peu dans le beurre et on fini par s'en foutre. De plus, ces punch sont si distancés qu'on a le temps en masse d'en anticiper un autre avant qu'il arrive! Bref, c'est bien beau les grands dévoilements dramatiques, mais seulement lorsqu'ils sont mieux exploités. Ce n'est malheureusement pas le cas ici. J'en profite pour parler de la finale. Le twist ending, tant qu'à lui, est surprenant. J'ai particulièrement aimé le style sombre qu'empreinte le film à ce moment-là! Puisque effectivement, la finale de Beautiful se distingue complètement du reste du long-métrage. Au départ, le film avait un certain je-ne-sais-quoi qui m'attirais. Puis, après l'avoir perdu en cours de visionnement, O'Flaherty nous arrive avec ces dernières minutes pour bien conclure son premier film.

Que dire du casting maintenant? En faite, Beautiful possède un casting majoritairement peu connu. Je suis amplement satisfait de la performance de Aaron Jeffery et Peta Wilson. Deborra-Lee Furness et Asher Keddie étaient bien également. Par contre, je suis déçu par l'acting des deux acteurs principaux (c'est-à-dire Sebastien Gregory et Tahyna Tozzi). Ils ne sont pas mauvais pour autant, mais j'aurai préféré davantage. Peut-être aurais-je mieux embarqué dans l'univers s'ils auraient livré une performance supérieure? Quoi qu'il en soit, je n'ai rien à reprocher aux autres.

Je tiens à précisé que le visionnement du Behind the scene m'a beaucoup aidé à comprendre où voulait s'en aller Dean O'Flaherty avec son long-métrage. J'apprécie davantage Beautiful maintenant que j'ai entendu le raisonnement du réalisateur. Malheureusement, ça ne suffit pas, puisque l'on ne comprend pas nécessairement sa vision des choses simplement avec le visionnement du film!

En conclusion, Beautiful est un film bien ordinaire. Sans trop d'originalité, il nous offre tout de même un excellent visuel et une bonne trame sonore qui aurait quand même pu s'avérer moins omniprésente. C'est le genre de film que l'on appréciera non pas pour son contenu au premier plan, mais dont on trouvera certaines bonnes qualités au-delà du scénario moyen.
DrStrangeblog
½ September 6, 2011

½ June 29, 2011
Beautiful é um filme muito diferente de tudo o que já vi até agora, dando continuidade a duas histórias diferentes que deveriam estar de alguma maneira interligadas mas acabam por nunca se cruzar, dando a sensação de que ambas são inúteis. O filme nunca se decide se se quer ficar pelo drama emocional ou por um thriller lento mas produtivo, acabando por falhar nos dois parâmetros. Uma boa premissa que consegue ser razoável por breves instantes mas que rapidamente se torna num potencial totalmente desperdiçado e numa autêntica perda de tempo!
June 26, 2011
Very strange. But interesting enough.
May 3, 2011
Was hoping for something that I didn't get. Story is weak but it's well shot.