The Last Song - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Song Reviews

March 31, 2010
Ended up switching this off 40 minutes in. Miley just wasn't all that convincing here, (and I don't even hate her - true, I am not a fan of her music, but I was well prepared to give her a chance in a movie), and the other problem was the story is pretty bland and boring. I don't honestly think she had a lot to work with. I also really didn't like Liam Hemsworth. I know he is her real life boyfriend, but I don't think he has the star quality to be a romantic lead in a movie, and I think they made Miley look plain here too when actually she is quite a pretty girl usually.
I really don't tend to get into Nicholas Sparks's stories. I liked A Walk to Remember, but that seems to have been my limit with it.

Update 2014. Somehow I found myself sitting through this one again. Someone raved to me about how good it was, so I wondered if I missed something and caught it on tv. Actually with lowered expectations, it wasn't as painful as I remember, and yes, actually quite sad if you sit through till the end.
Still not saying I loved it, but original review was probably a bit harsh.
½ June 24, 2012
There are two reasons this movie is going to be loved by every teenage girl in the world.
1. They think the main guy in this is hot.
2. The movie plays out the romance that they post about on Facebook, but they'll never get to experience.
In The Last Song Miley Cyrus spends time with her brother and dad on her father's beach house after their parent's divorce. She finds love and that's the story. The biggest problem with the movie right away is that Cyrus just isn't likable. She treats everyone around her like crap and she does nothing but whine about having to spend time on a beach house. Trust me, she's not the only unlikable character. Her brother is a bad acting child actor whose dialogue consists of stuff Michelle Tanner from Full House would say, her dad is just some guy, and Cyrus's boyfriend (Liam Hemsworth) is just a generic "that guy" with no personality. The movie is also incredibly predictable. Every time there's a dialogue scene, I was able to guess what cheesy line would be spilled out, every time there was a romance scene, I could tell what move Hemsworth would pull on Cyrus. I didn't like the acting either. Cyrus spends most of the movie bitching and in the scenes where her character is suppose to be happy, she still looks like she's about to start pouting. Hemsworth was really wooden in his role and brought nothing to the character. Another really dumb thing about the movie is the turtle hatching scene. Some of the scenes have Cyrus caring over turtle eggs and half of the movie builds up to them hatching. There are two problems with that scenario:
1. Why would you build up something as simple as turtle hatching?
2. If you're going to build up to a scene, make it last more than 30 seconds.
I'm not kidding, the turtles hatching doesn't last long because it's replaced with another stupid story arc concerning the dad. By the end of the movie, I didn't even care what had happened. There wasn't any flow to the story, the characters were boring, the plot was cliche, the dialogue was hammy and the acting was pathetic. The only purpose this movie served was making money and trying to pass off as an unofficial sequel to The Notebook.
May 27, 2012
It is a funny way to create a movie. "Lets write a movie as a vehicle for Miley Cyrus to initiate her adult acting career". Nevertheless it is good fodder if you are a romantic -- what does it say in the summary? "...first loves and second chances".
June 23, 2011
I don't understand how people cannot find this film completeley and utterly heart wrenching. A beautifuly written love story by one of my favourite authors of all time. His films never fail to amaze me and this one was outstanding. Miley Cyrus and Liam Hensworth are adorable together and the story had me in tears. You don't expect it (if you haven't read the book) Nothing short of poignant and such a wonderful cast. A great film!
½ April 15, 2010
Mopey and maudlin. Miley Cyrus doesn't have what it takes carry a picture and while the film has a beautiful setting the story is trite. Greg Kinnear is good but not in the story enough to save it.
March 13, 2011
A cheesy and boring romance, but a lot of woman will leave satisfied, not dragged along men.
September 2, 2010
Well, being a girl I'm supposed to be all gooey over Nicholas Sparks' novels-in-to-movies.. but I'm not. This movie wasn't great. Miley is like thee worst actress ever and it was kind of sad. What's the deal with Nicholas killing everyone off?!
Total chick flick, if you enjoy that sort of thing, you'll enjoy this one.
March 31, 2010
Wonderful movie. It will make you laugh, cry & fall in love. Miley Cyrus did a wonderful job in this movie as did Greg Kinnear. Liam was just too cute as well :) Go see this movie. This is a good movie for everyone who believes in family and love :) With Nicholas Sparks, you can't go wrong :)
Nate Z.
½ November 4, 2010
Miley Cyrus is tragically miscast and way out of her depths in this mawkish drivel. I don't really understand the appeal of Billy Ray Cyrus' achy-breaky star progeny. The girl's all teeth. Her acting repertoire from her gigantically popular Disney TV series and movies has lead Cyrus to the motto that bigger is better. She plays every scene much louder and bigger than required, mistaking volume for drama. I don't think (right now at least) that she has the acting capabilities to carry a drama, let alone a drama weighed down by so much overly serious, heavy-handed material. But then heavy-handed is a Nicholas Sparks trademark, same with someone dying of a terminal disease by film's end (the streak continues). What's remarkable about The Last Song's ineptitude is that Sparks wrote the screenplay and the novel at the same time, tailoring it specifically for Cyrus. The part was written with her in mind, which makes the failure even larger. Cyrus cannot do teenage angst to save her life. If you wanted a moody, angst-driven, hip-to-be-square, believable young actress, then they should have hired Kat Dennings (Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist). Cyrus is a troubled teen who mopes all summer, forced to spend time with her divorced father (Greg Kinnear, fighting to find some dignity in the film) before, well, you can guess where we're headed. For melodrama, it all comes across as fairly dull and sterile (PG-13: wrestling in mud, PG: throwing mud). What's even worse is that the titular "last song" Cyrus performs to honor a fallen loved one is powerfully bland. And yet I have the sneaking suspicion this stab at expanding Cyrus into adult roles could have been much worse. As it is, The Last Song is a sudsy dud.

Nate's Grade: C
½ March 30, 2010
WOW! I never predicted that this movie would be turn into an interesting movie like this... Nicholas Sparks surely can be considered as one of the greatest novelist of all time, he really wrote a great story on this... The story started slowly but not boring, we got introduced by the character and their story with their secret, piece for piece, and I thought that brilliant... Miley Cyrus and Greg Kinnear shows a great chemistry here, and for Miley with Liam, at least their chemistry was pretty good as a couple here... I love how Nicholas Sparks let the story grow, and a big thumbs up for Nicholas Sparks and Jeff Van Wie as the scriptwriter as they can teamed up together to wrote a great adaptation story... And another thumbs up for Greg Kinnear, Bobby Coleman, and Miley Cyrus as we can expect her as a future A-class actress if she can level up her acting and not trapped in another usual comedy or usual romantic movie... Overall, I really love the movie, just love it...!!!
½ November 16, 2009
Wonderful emotionally teen drama story based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks - I don't care whoever thinks this movie sucks. That story reminded me of the relationship between a father and teen child before losing someone at the end from 2001's Life as a House.
I'm not going to blame Miley Cyrus' ability to act on the low point of the film. She did a nice job transitioning from Hannah Montana to a darker, not as tween-based character.
April 22, 2010
Cast: Miley Cyrus, Greg Kinnear, Liam Hemsworth, Kelly Preston, Bobby Coleman, Hallock Beals, Nick Lashaway, Carly Chaikin, Kate Vernon, Melissa Ordway, Nick Searcy

Director: Julie Anne Robinson

Summary: Miley Cyrus has top billing as 17-year-old Ronnie Miller, a rebellious former piano prodigy who doesn't hide her hostility after being sent off to spend the summer in Georgia with her estranged father (Greg Kinnear). Rebuffing her dad's attempts to reconnect, the aloof Ronnie begins to thaw when she meets beach volleyball Will Blakelee (Liam Hemsworth).

My Thoughts: "OK, so I didn't know very much about the film and I haven't read any of Sparks books, so I watched this knowing little to nothing. But my niece is an avid fan of Cyrus, and knowing that a couple of the movies that have been made based on Sparks books have turned out great, I would give this one a go as well. I am not saying its a bad movie, but its not great either. It falls in between those lines. I have only seen Miley act in one other film and that was the Hannah one (like I said, niece is an avid fan). I assumed that was just how that character was in that film, so it was a fresh look at her in playing this role. She was just OK for me. I think she did better with the father and daughter scenes, but some of her acting seemed off. Like she wasn't connecting with her character. But there is this little boy named Bobby Coleman that plays Jonah, and he steals every scene he is in. He's totally believable in his character. He definitely had me in tears. The movie is of course sad (just like all Sparks books to films). I thought Liam Hemsworth did really good in this as well. Greg Kinnear was great as the father. It's an emotional roller coaster but its worth the rental. Definitely not as bad as some have made it out to be. I think this movie will speak more to the younger crowed.. I remember when I use to be part of that Anyways, worth the rental."
September 4, 2010
Kind of cheezy at times, but I enjoyed it. Greg Kinnear is really good, as usual.
½ August 21, 2010
The Last Song is a movie that is supposed to break your achy breaky heart. Yes, I went there. Do you want to know why? It's because this movie sucks as much as that song. This is another melodramatic mess from the Nicholas Sparks cash cow that have permeated news stands and book stores throughout the world. Now I've never read the books, but if they're as bad as the films then America has gone wrong somewhere along the line.

The film revolves around Ronnie (Miley Cyrus) who is a rebellious teenager. She is sent to spend the summer with her father (Greg Kinnear) in Georgia. You know what's going to happen, she meets a guy that is not in her class, yet they still fall in love. Aaaaaaawww. But, alas, this is a Nicholas Sparks story- someone is going to die.

That's your basic plot in a nutshell. Very simple, seen before, will be seen again as long as Nicholas Sparks can still create sentences. There is one essential problem with The Last Song. One thing turns this movie from a mediocre-average romantic comedy to complete garbage. That problem is Miley Cyrus. You see, she can't act. Not at all. It's not there. Not even close. Whoever told her she could go from her pop bubble gum bullshit to drama like this is an idiot. This is the worst single performance I have seen in years. Years! I would call her acting skills on par with anyone in the original I Spit On Your Grave. That crap may work on the Disney Channel, but in real movies it's called shit. Pure shit.

Like I said, take away the Cyrus performance and you have a mediocre movie to begin with. She sends this to oblivion. There's probably a dozen young actresses out there that should have gotten this role, but they don't sell lunch boxes and movie tickets as well. Let's hope Miley's fifteen minutes ends before she soils a movie screen again.
½ August 1, 2010
WOW! I expected a lot less from this film. Miley Cyrus actually makes a good performance and Greg Kinnear plays his heart out. It's obviously been done before and the events are getting very old, but nowadays, is any romantic family drama really that good? I was hesitating on watching this film, thinking I was going to hate it, but I just can't say that about this film. No, it is by far an average film at best, but that's what I loved so much about it, it didn't have to try hard to get your attention. The story was extremely basic, but it was strong enough to keep me focussed. I chose to like this film personally, and I don't care what anyone else thinks.
March 1, 2010
This movie is good but could have been alot better, this was my first Miley Cyrus movie for me and what can I say,it let me wanting more. The movie is not exactly what it seems in the trailer but you'll realize that when you see it. It's a good family movie which everyone can enjoy.

Seventeen-year-old Veronica 'Ronnie' Miller's life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Tybee Island, Georgia. Three years later, she remains angry and alienated from her parents, especially her father ...until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she spent the summer on Tybee Island with him. Ronnie's father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church. The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story about love in its myriad forms - first love, the love between parents and children - that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that deeply felt relationships can break our hearts ...and heal them.
February 19, 2010
Unlike a lot of other people, I liked Miley Cyrus in this movie. Her role was very different than what viewers are used to-Hannah Montana. I think that the time in which the teens fell in love was too fast, therefore unrealistic, but other than that, I thought the movie was great. Had me crying so much!
½ April 11, 2010
God help me i saw this movie. and i feel really horrible, not because it paralyzed every cell in my brain, but because i paid like 6 bucks for this shit to see with some girl trying to get laid. well after watching her laugh at about every line in the movie, i realized something about people.

see, this movie is obviously not funny. but why are some people confused? Its right there in front of you, plain as day and not funny. so what happened? i think there is a chain reaction somehow. If one girl likes something, no matter what it is, and it turns into 4 then 8 then 16 girls, then whats to stop it from growing uncontrollably? There must be a certain part in the female's brain that makes you like something as soon as other girls like it without allowing proper thoughts to take place.

So how far can this disease go? If i didnt shower for a year and told a girl " its ok, i dated Kristen Stewart", i would soon enough be liked by not just this one girl, but millions. All unaware of why they like men who smell like old pizza, but they know they like it. It happened. Just as puberty and that one-time lesbian experience happened before it. Sounds far-fetched, but they said the same thing about the moon landing, right?
February 9, 2010
What I appreciated about this film was the relationship between Miley Cyrus' character, Ronnie and her father, played by Greg Kinnear. I have never read the book, so I had no idea where the movie was headed, but I have to say, I had tears coming down. The story between daughter and father was written well; I didn't even really let Miley's acting bother as much.
December 2, 2011