—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Going the Distance Reviews

Cynthia S

September 5, 2010
Omg..hysterical movie!! A must see.
movieguru12
movieguru12

August 22, 2010
Such a cute romantic comedy :) Justin Long & Drew Barrymore were just amazing & Christina Applegate was great as Drew Barrymore's sister & Charlie Day & Jason Sudeikis were great as Justin Long's best friends. Just a great movie about love & how by going the distance your love will survive :) Just watch this adorable film :) You won't regret it! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

July 7, 2011
A young newspaper reporter and a music talent scout attempt to make a bi-coastal relationship work.
I think that it is difficult to render the pressures of a long-distance relationship without resorting to what Super Reviewer Alice Shen calls "go-to distance conflicts." As a former victim of a long distance relationship, I can attest to the fact that much of the conflict is internal and doesn't lend itself to film. But at the same time, I can't blame the film for trying.
Eventually what the film amounts to is a solid romantic comedy. The characters' relationship develops and degrades all in accordance with the formula that has been tried and true. There is an appropriate balance of pathos and comedy with some decent performances from Drew Barrymore and Justin Long. These people won't stay with you for very long, but it's nice knowing them for the film's ninety-seven minutes.
Overall, this is a fine film but nothing to write home about.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
The trailer made it out to be funnier than it was, but it was still 'alright' but not great! It was sort of predictable too.
erika250
erika250

July 28, 2010
Going the distance is about friends that met over the summer. Over the summer Erin's (Drew Barrymore) and Garrett (Justin Long) friendship grows so deep that when they tried to go their separated ways at the end the summer, they realize that they can not end the friendship. Then they decide to try long distance dating relationship. AT first it was so hard to be separated that they spend every minute they can together when they could be in the same town. Over time they had learn how to make a long distance relationship work. Then the couple was face with a hard thing that would decide their fate together. Will they stay together or go their separate way?
Pros
Good acting and plot.
The plot develops at a really good pace.
Drew Barrymore and Justin Long was a good pair for each other in this film.
This film was really funny.
The scene that I liked the most was when they put cake on each other.
Overall this is a really good film.
This film has a good twist ending to it that I did not see coming.
Con
The opening scene was weak.
If you like click flicks, room -com, tear jerker or films with twist ending. You should give this film a try.
Jennifer X

April 30, 2011
A really charming, down-in-the-dirt kind of rom com. Drew Barrymore and Justin Long have good, reliable chemistry.
thmtsang
thmtsang

September 26, 2010
A summer romance blossoms into a long distance relationship between opposite coasts. You can see real chemistry between Drew and Justin. Their friends and family don't think it will last.
deano
deano

July 15, 2009
Real-life couple Drew Barrymore and Justin Long head the cast of this appealing romantic-comedy, which has enough gross-out moments to keep lads happy, too.
Our couple bond over the Caterpillar arcade game and Top Gun love and there are no overwrought plot machinations to break them up/get them back together again.
Instead, for the most part, our couple have pokey living arrangements, struggle at admittedly good jobs (Barrymore in particular) and angst and agonise around the pangs of being apart. This is also a rare rom-com where the characters talk about and have sex.
Director Nanette Burstein, best known for fizzy documentary American Teen, adds lots of Sundance tics and traits, from animated titles to split-screens, The Cure, montages and iPhone messages popping up on screen. It is also the kind of film where the soundtrack has more alt-rock than a Triple J marathon.
Long and Barrymore have an easy chemistry and make for a winning pair. Long oozes charm in a rare lead and Barrymore does her vulnerable kook thong without ever being annoying. It is also a great showcase for one of cinema's unsung pleasures: Barrymore's dirty cackle. Long may it ring out.
Wildaly M

January 24, 2011
I felt the vibe going, but there was always something missing. Maybe a little more chemistry between the actors? Who knows. It's pretty watchable though.
Matt G

January 22, 2011
"You cut your own hair and you suck your own dick, you're like a swiss army knife."

I loved this movie! It was a great romantic comedy!

Grade: B+
boxman
boxman

January 17, 2011
At turns randy and sweet, this romantic comedy is surprisingly honest about the trials of long-distance relationships. Justin Long and Drew Barrymore fall for one another before their respective careers place them on opposite coasts. They explore all the real frustrations of having your beloved only reachable via phone for months on end. Going the Distance presents two likeable leads with an affable chemistry, and the real kicker is that they genuinely love each other. Nobody is a man-child or a shrew. The real villain is the distance. While the film doesn't know if it wants to be a Judd Apatow-style raunchy comedy or a saccharine romantic comedy, there is a strong rooting interest in our couple. The supporting characters aren't too wacky, the situations feel more authentic than contrived, and our couple makes seriously difficult decisions in the end that are downright adult. Going the Distance is a true surprise of a film. It's got enough laugh-out-loud lines and situations to recommend as a comedy and enough emotional involvement to recommend as a relationship drama. It's a little unnecessarily vulgar at times, like a fascinated kid who has just discovered the power of dirty words. While it may not go the full distance, this cheeky rom-com will nicely get you to a pleasant place.

Nate's Grade: B-
neverteaseaweasel
neverteaseaweasel

April 13, 2010
I recall Warner Bros. spokespeoples - is there a better term then that? - saying that this film had potential to reach and interest people of both sexes, that it wasn't going to be a typical rom-com. You know, I'd have to agree with that. The main difference, though, is that this film is much raunchier. I'm not sure that it is better though. It still felt pretty generic. One thing I did really like was the visual style and editing. Whoever worked with the production design has my praise. Everything is just a bit nicer and a bit trendier than what you would see anywhere else. This feels like our world, but just a bit nicer; it's the kind of nicer world where people get meet by chance in a bar, hook up, and release they're completely mad about the other. Maybe not the most realistic, but it's not a bad thought. Besides, adding some sex for the guys, I think was also aimed at a younger audience as well. I mean, c'mon, raise your hand if you actually listened to The Boxer Rebellion before this? Or even heard of them?
Conner R

January 13, 2011
I really enjoyed this, mainly because it had no problems being a romantic comedy. It didn't try to break the rules or be outrageously original, but it offered all the charm that the genre can hold. Pretty much all the characters and performances are well done, feeling more like people than the standard movie star effect. I gotta say that the Top Gun glorification was one of my favorite parts. If you're looking for something fun and extremely likable, this is a great movie.
Lewis C

October 3, 2010
I had a good feeling about Going the Distance from the first time I saw the trailer. I'm not the kind of guy who usually is quick to rush out and see a romantic comedy, but Going the Distance just seemed like it had something more to offer than that genre usually tosses out. And I have to say that my positive expectations were mostly fulfilled.

One of the best things about the movie is that it's a relationship comedy/drama that's genuninely funny, and it avoids the usual contrived problems that romcoms throw between the two leads, in favor of realistic situations that anyone who has been in a long distance relationship can relate to. Parts of the movie are outright hilarious. It's unapologetically raunchy, but it's just the kind of thing that young(-ish), single men and women who frequent bars would say to each other and their friends. The movie gets a bit more serious and less lighthearted as it goes on, but it never completely forgoes the funny dialogue and jokes that really helped get me into it from the very beginning.

Justin Long and Drew Barrymore also were a big reason why Going the Distance leaves a lot of similar movies in the dust. They have a strong rapport that I guess came from their off-screen relationship, and I couldn't help but want them to survive as a couple through their difficulties.

So yeah, I liked this. I found it refreshing and relatable, which isn't something I often say about this genre. Going the Distance was seemingly made for the many young adults (including me) who have been in these kinds of situations before. Check it out, if it sounds interesting.
Fernando Rafael Q

September 1, 2010
Enjoyable (and just a little bit raunchy) romantic comedy. The best thing about Going the Distance is its charming, charismatic cast. The lead couple's (Justin Long and Drew Barrymore) chemistry is evident, but the colorful supporting characters, played by Jason Sudeikis, Charlie Day and Christina Applegate, steal the show. The whole unemployment subplot further demonstrates the fact that this film is nicely grounded in reality. Very appropriate for our times.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

March 2, 2010
Cast: Drew Barrymore, Justin Long, Charlie Day, Jason Sudeikis, Christina Applegate, Ron Livingston, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Jim Gaffigan, Kelli Garner, June Diane Raphael, Rob Riggle, Sarah Burns, Natalie Morales, Matt Servitto, Leighton Meester, Kristen Schaal

Director: Nanette Burstein

Summary: New couple Erin (Drew Barrymore) and Garrett (Justin Long) don't want their summer fling to end, but Erin must move across the country to finish school. As the bicoastal lovers try to keep their relationship going, they experience the tricky challenges of living long-distance.

My Thoughts: "It was a funny comedy. A lot of it was pretty raunchy as previous people have said, but nothing too bad. Justin Long is pretty funny in this, Drew just has a big potty mouth. But most of what she says is funny to me considering I talk that way sometimes and she reminds me of some of my friends. The movie had some pretty funny off beat characters that were enjoyable to watch. The film is also relatable for those of us (me being one of those) who have had a long distance relationship. It's not the easiest relationship to have, and this film gives a good example of that. It's a fun flick that will surely make you smile and laugh."
Spencer S

August 3, 2010
A frank and funny take on the real life hurdles of the long distance relationship. Barrymore and Long, I'm supposing in a mirrored performance of their lovey dovey selves, took on comedic performances that were true and full of zeal which made the movie believable and funny. Sidekicks Applegate and Sudeikis put in some great side kick performances, and who didn't love the references to Centipede and Dark Side of the Moon? Just, a nice love story.
Nicki M

September 15, 2010
I liked this, as is predictable as I like Drew Barrymore, and I pretty much enjoy all her movies, but I have to admit it has it's faults.
The first thing with it is that Drew plays very different to the normal cuties she plays in a romantic comedy. Here we have her smoking pot, getting drunk, swearing like a sailor and jumping into bed with a guy on their first date. Also, she looks a little harder in this. I am not sure if it is just that she is older or if the lighting is harsh or a bad hair colour, but definitely the sweet girl she normally plays is not really in sight here. Christina Applegate, who I also love, also looks a little harder than normal, so I really am convinced it was how it was filmed.
There is a lot of swearing here and a lot of crude stuff just in it for shock value. I am by no means a prude, but it seemed to me that this movie did not really need as much of this stuff in it, when all it basically is is a sweet story about a couple falling in love and overcoming the obstacle of living too far apart.
Justin Long is good - I guess it is a no brainer that he and Drew would have good chemistry since they are a real life couple. Some of the friends were really over the top and gross.
Re-reading this, I feel like I rated too high at 4 stars, and maybe 3 1/2 would be more accurate, but I don't know, it's still a Drew Barrymore film and I know full well I will be watching it again, so it can't have been that bad.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

July 28, 2010
Basically, it's an ordinary movie with an ordinary story... But this movie become a little something because no other people take the 'long distance relationship' problem as their main problem in a movie... And after what I saw for almost 100 minutes, it's just ordinary, too ordinary I think... The story was okay, as I know it would be really difficult to turn a story based on long distance relationship problem into a really interesting story... But I must gave my thumbs up for Justin Long for his 'brave' performance in a couple scenes..
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

September 4, 2010
"A comedy about meeting each other halfway."

A romantic comedy centered on a guy and a gal who try to keep their love alive as they shuttle back and forth between New York and San Francisco to see one another.

REVIEW
Drew Barrymore plays a less kooky character than usual and is all the more likable and believable for it. I just don't quite buy Justin Long as the leading man but his sidekicks help, particularly Charlie Day who plays a role not that far removed from his part in the sitcom It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, awkward and funny. Between him and Christina Applegate who play Drew's sister they absolutely made the film for me.

A few downsides, Justin Long's story didn't go where the movie signposted it might, Ron Livingston played a small cameo as his boss and it seemed we'd get to see more of what Justin did - the bands he didn't like vs the ones he wanted to champion but that plot line just tailed off. At one point he's asked to look after a band definitely not in his taste range, and you get the feeling more was shot of this but edited out. Because of that whilst we saw him being funny and charming I just didn't get his motivation in not moving to San Francisco. I found the ending really weak, when you leave a rom-com you want to have a little punch the air moment when the leads overcome their obstacles and get together. What we got was a slightly drippy lacklustre finish.

Definitely no punch the air moment and I want that, no matter how sappy or cheesy it might be. Overall I laughed quite a few times, a few really big chuckles and even a couple of belly laughs so for that reason I'd give it a 7.