Avenging Angel Reviews

April 15, 2011
I was disappointed that I got the sequel to Angel, but it was actually a fun action packed movie with quirky characters, and I enjoyed it. I don't know why the other reviews on here are so bad.
June 29, 2011
Full disclosure here: I have never seen the film Angel, to which this was a sequel, and I only rented it because of an interest in Betsy Russell.

That said, it's not a bad way to spend an hour and a half, even if it is populated with some silly characters that may drift more toward caricature than anything else. Long story short, the reformed prostitute Molly returns to the streets to find out who killed the cop who got her out of the game, accompanied by a cast of oddballs from her former life.

Fun stuff, give it a peep.
April 22, 2012
With "Angel" being the sleeper it was in 1984, New World Pictures quickly put this sequel into production employing the same director, writer and a majority of the same cast. One key actress is absent however with Donna Wilkes passing on the film leaving the title character to be played by the beautiful, yet completely different looking Betsy Russell. Does she have the assets to make this sequel the loveable campy hit the original was? Let's just say it's hit and miss... a majority being miss.

Angel, now graduating law school, has cleaned herself up and living the good life. When she gets news that the cop that got her off the streets is murdered, she sluts up again to beat the streets with the aid of her quirky friends to take down the criminal operation that killed him.

Director Robert Vincent O'Neill decides, unwisely in my opinion, to make this sequel even sillier and campier than the first film. He takes the sense of realism and drop kicks it to outer space as the humor and misfit characters are even more cartoonish than they were in the first film. These eccentric characters (Rory Calhoun, Susan Tyrrell and Steven M. Porter) instead of being loveable, tend to grad the nerves and grow tiresome very quickly. Bettsy Russell also seems uncomfortable in the role of "Angel" and never making the character her own or as empathetic as Donna Wilkes portrayal.

O'Neill also adds some 'new friends' into the mix, but these guys are hardly as memorable. First up is a pair of transvestites that the audience barely gets to know and the second is some guy called Johnny Glitter, an annoying shit bag that continuously throws glitter over everyone that is accompanied by a ridiculous wind chime sound effect on the soundtrack. I seriously wanted to reach through my television to strangle his douche bag!

I did enjoy the reprehensible villains who are uber violent in their goal to steal property and the return of the wonderful Hollywood Blvd. locations but I didn't dig O'Neill's overexaggerated approach to the film. The sillier, more cartoonish approach makes the B-level campy charm of the original absent and in its place is annoyance. I still enjoyed it for what it was but typical with sequels I didn't like near as much as the original film. "Avenging Angel" still made enough money to warrant to more sequels.
½ September 12, 2009
This one is alright but the first Angel is still the best. Too bad Donna Wilkes didn't come back for the second one.
½ November 2, 2006
These ANGEL movies never had the courage of their convictions. Oh sure, they promised you a teen whore hellbent on vigilante justice, but they cleaned it up so much ANGEL is the most squeaky clean whore in film history! All the ANGEL flicks suck, but they just get worse and worse. I couldnt even watch ALL of Part 3!
½ November 9, 2013
Angel failed to impress me, but being a fan of Betsy Russell I was still happy to see Avenging Angel.

Now that Molly Stewart's life is at peace at the beginning of the movie, it doesn't immediately begin as a sad and solidary tale, but instead gives a sense that there are other characters in her life and that she is a more important person now that
But the editing decides to fill most of the first 30 minutes with Vaudeville style slapstick music or excessively long repetitive beats which fills up all the sound and degrades the story to a childish level without ever trying to make it good. The soundtrack utterly sucks and doesn't have the kinetic 1980's energy from its predecessor. This proves to be the dowfall of Avenging Angel
And for a film about the character Angel she really doesn't make much of a screen presence and she essentially plays second-fiddle to most of the strange characters on the streets and such which sufficiently lacks entertainment and originality, just like the script and much of the actors.
And barely taking advantage of Betsy Russell, the film only dresses her in skintight clothing which show off her breasts to the audience beneath her shirt.

Avenging Angel didn't have a great predecessor, but it even fails to live up to that or give Betsy Russell a chance.
August 17, 2012
All I can is why dose it feel this movie was rushed anyways most of the cast comes back expect Donna Wilkes who played the original Molly/Angel .. they wouldn't pay her as much this time around so enter stage left Betsy Russell too take over the role as Molly/Angel. This time around it is more silly than anything but I must say it starts off great though great, 80's song and an undercover cop getting reddy for work before she dies straight away ....... Ok this time around sex 4 years on after Molly left, Molly this time and her friends have too stop the Hollywood Bolavard from being taken over by gangsters and they do pretty much in the end .... Her friend May the drag queen was killed in the first movie by the still Nameless killer and in this movie there is more drag queens fighting who also die i might add over all i didnt really take too the movie as Betsy Russell for me is just a crap actress and the script and story is pretty crap but in saying that it would of been watch able iv Donna Wilkes respired the role ..... Best Russle was chosen due too her being popular in the public.

My Personal Guilty Pleasure Rating: is 3/5
My Mainstream/Professional Rating: 2/5
October 16, 2010
Atrocious sequel tries to be funny, and in turn it just becomes painful to watch.