The Blob (1988)
Average Rating: 5.8/10
Reviews Counted: 17
Fresh: 10 | Rotten: 7
No consensus yet.
Release Date: Aug 5, 1988 Wide
Average Rating: 2.9/5
User Ratings: 21,720
After the phenomenal box-office and critical success of David Cronenberg's 1986 remake of The Fly, a series of big-budget remakes of '50s horror favorites rode in on its coattails in the late 1980s -- though none managed to rise above mere camp clones of their elders, albeit garnished with modern makeup effects in an attempt to draw modern teen horror-junkies. One remake that managed to live up to its cheesy inspiration was Chuck Russell's version of The Blob, in which the title goo crashes to
Aug 5, 1988 Wide
Sep 11, 2001
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Watch It Now
Sheriff Herb Geller
Art La Fleur
Ricky Paull Goldin
Dep. Bill Briggs
Phil Hobbs Projectionis...
Soldier at Command Post
Vicki De Soto
M. James Arnett
Soldier with Cracked Fa...
Old Woman in Tent
1st White Suit/ Scienti...
Woman in Doctor's Offic...
Young Woman in Town Hal...
2nd White Suite
Richard Anthony Crenna
Soldier Outside Town Ha...
An old story retold with a fresh voice, eager to make improvements where they're needed and unwilling to tamper with scenes that don't.
just a great sweet movie
Surprisingly worthy remake.
A fun, cheesy remake from writer Frank Darabont, who gets the tone just right.
While not nearly on par with the original, the remake's a fast-paced and happily gore-soaked little treat.
Audience Reviews for The Blob
- Dr. Meddows: I want that organism alive!
- Meg Penny: You don't believe either, do you?
- Scott Jeskey: (talking to Vikki as she's in the car sleeping?) Hot as a dog out there tonight. That's a, That's a nice blouse. Nice material. It must be hot, though. I'll just undo one of these for you. That's better, huh? Oh, no? Oh, well. I'll just, undo another one then. Okay. (The Blob pours out of Vikki's body) OH GOD, VICKI!!
- Vicki De Soto: What are all those lights down there? Isn't that the hospital?
- Scott Jeskey: It's probably a promotional gimmick. They're giving away free tonsillectomies.
- Meg Penny: (she screams, as the Blob is eating her boyfriend Paul) PAAAAAAUUUUL!
- Moss Woolsey: (as snowflakes fall to the ground from the blob's demise) Hey man I told you we'd have snow. Gotta have a little faith. I hope I'm covered for this sort of thing. (Indicating to the blob's shattered frozen remains)
There are no discussion threads for The Blob yet.
Latest News on The Blob
June 5, 2007:New Comic Book Flick Alert: Mandrake the Magician!
I'm not much for magicians, but apparently this Criss Angel guy is pretty famous, right? He's got a...
October 19, 2006:Frank Darabont and Stephen King (Finally) Get Mist-y
It's a project that's been on Frank Darabont's back burner for what seems like ten years, but not...
January 12, 2006:Russell's "Piranha" Remake Heading to Dimension
Writer/director Chuck Russell has been fiddling around with his "Piranha" remake for a few...