• G, 1 hr. 13 min.
  • Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

Brian's Song Reviews

flixsterman flixsterman
½ January 15, 2009
If you thought this was a bit sappy in 1970 you should watch it again. The thing practically oozes with overt sentimentality. Still, it's an indelible childhood memory for men of my generation and an almost iconic piece of '70s Americana. ...and yes, it still makes me cry (dammit).
sainttom93 sainttom93
October 23, 2007
This is one of the best films I've ever seen -- I lived in Aurora, Illinois when Brian died! I loved him as a Bear, and I was terribly saddened by his death -- I remember all that Gayle Sayers did for him, but I didn't know this much -- A Wonderful film --
Joseph E
August 28, 2009
Oh, How Melo-Drama was enjoyable in the 70's! Now a days, You can't even last a minute with a movie like that. In Brian's song Case, I lasted the whole film, enjoying moderate parts of it. Also, no matter How much, i love football, i do not shed tears, only Old Yeller, can get that close.
Erin C
½ October 28, 2010
Very short...It had its good moments, but I thought it was overly cheesy for the most part and a little dramatic at random points throughout the movie. It was probably good for its time though.
Robert R ½ May 10, 2013
"Brian's Song" is a film that's slightly long in the tooth and a bit short on the runtime, but it doesn't change the fact there's a wholeheartedly powerful story at its center and an beautiful dose of chemistry between its leads.
kenscheck kenscheck ½ April 21, 2012
James Caan and Billy Dee Williams do a pretty good job as Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo in this sad tale based on the real life events. Sad story told on the verge of melodrama...but it is a fairly effective melodrama, which has been one movie men will weep at for years (all it takes is football, huh?). I'm not a football fan, but I do think this is a solid made for TV movie.
PeteyPablo10 PeteyPablo10 ½ March 24, 2012
Excellent movie that shows true friendship despite race or differences. Even though this movie was really short, it got to all the points and showed true emotions. The story of Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers was well portrayed in this film and the ending was really sad. A short and sweet film which didn't try and add in anything irrelevant or unnecessary. One of my favorites from the 1970's and great for any football fan who knows the nature of competition for a spot and what good friendships that can become of from teammates.
inhonoredglory inhonoredglory December 30, 2011
My father loved this movie as a youngster. I was glad we got a chance to see it and experience what it was all about. It is a truly touching story, especially considering that it is a true one and that the real Chicago Browns staff played themselves in order to give tribute to Brian Piccolo. The love between these two friends, Brian and Gale Sayers, is quiet and steady, their devotion to one another pushing though injury and illness. This is a timeless, heart-warming story of friendship and a beautiful tribute to a loving man.
Brian S November 24, 2009
a great cast and a well-told story of one of the great tragedies in American sports. unfortunately, the film oozes "70s TV movie" from the opening note of the score. while certainly emotionally driven, it tries WAY too hard to be sentimental and heartwarming, and ends up being more cheesy than touching. I would have liked it to have been longer too--tell the story in more detail. But then again, I wasn't working for ABC in 1971...oh well. I liked this movie, but it didn't really strike any particular chords with me.
jscottcorley jscottcorley ½ September 5, 2009
A tremendous performance by Caan. Oscar worthy if not a TV movie. Too many 70's-style snap zooms throughout.
David K ½ October 21, 2007
This is a real guy's movie...one in which it is "okay" to be seen shedding one tear. After all, it's about football!
Mohit A ½ November 21, 2007
The racial integration woven into the plot may have been more powerful during the Nixon administration. The movie also seemed to have abrupt transitions. Otherwise, it tells a great story.
chris200098 chris200098 August 23, 2007
A story about two football players for the Chicago Bears one White player by the name of Brian Piccolo The other a black player by the name of Gale Sayers, yes this movie will make a grown man cry and yes i did cry.
mbartos760 mbartos760 ½ June 8, 2007
I fell in love with James Caan and Billy Dee Williams in this one. You got football and a love story. Great couples movie.
phatgrrl84 phatgrrl84 April 20, 2007
I'm a Bears fan, what can I say? Don't bother with the remake, it sucks! Caan and Williams are awesome!
slickrickwhitfield slickrickwhitfield April 1, 2007
You think this movie is about football, but it's really not, it's all about an unlikely friendship. Definitely worth a look even if you're not a football fan.
tyner2be tyner2be March 24, 2007
This movie is for individuals that value their relationships with their friends!! The strength between the two actors was very touching!! I cry every time I see this movie!!
greendaygirlrock greendaygirlrock November 14, 2006
This movie was so freaking sad....I watched it my psychology class and was incredbly embarassed when I started crying...