Brian's Song - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brian's Song Reviews

flixsterman
½ January 15, 2009
If you thought this was a bit sappy in 1970 you should watch it again. The thing practically oozes with overt sentimentality. Still, it's an indelible childhood memory for men of my generation and an almost iconic piece of '70s Americana. ...and yes, it still makes me cry (dammit).
sainttom93
October 23, 2007
This is one of the best films I've ever seen -- I lived in Aurora, Illinois when Brian died! I loved him as a Bear, and I was terribly saddened by his death -- I remember all that Gayle Sayers did for him, but I didn't know this much -- A Wonderful film --
August 28, 2009
Oh, How Melo-Drama was enjoyable in the 70's! Now a days, You can't even last a minute with a movie like that. In Brian's song Case, I lasted the whole film, enjoying moderate parts of it. Also, no matter How much, i love football, i do not shed tears, only Old Yeller, can get that close.
½ October 28, 2010
Very short...It had its good moments, but I thought it was overly cheesy for the most part and a little dramatic at random points throughout the movie. It was probably good for its time though.
½ December 10, 2015
You're scheduling the game before he can get ready.

Brian Piccolo and Gayle Sayers were new teammates on the Chicago Bears during Sayers' rookie season. They were opposites in every way from skin color to personalities, and they became best friends. One day after becoming very successful; teammates discover Brian is diagnosed with cancer and Gayle will do his best to be Brian's friend till the end.

"How's your mother?"

Buzz Kulick, director of Miles from Nowhere, The Hunter, Her Secret Life, Women of Valor, Vanished, Cage without a Key, Warning Shot, and Riot, delivers Brian's Song. The storyline for this picture is very well told. I loved how they incorporated real NFL films into the movie. The cast delivers awesome performances and includes James Caan, Billy Dee Williams, Jack Warden, Bernie Casey, Shelley Fabares, and David Huddelston.

"They have to operate again."

I added this to my Netflix online wish list a long time ago and finally got around to seeing this...I am very glad I did. This is a very epic tale of friendship. I loved the performances by Caan and Billy Dee Williams and felt this was one of the best sports movies I have ever seen. I strongly recommend this.

"I'm pregnant."

Grade: A-
½ June 7, 2015
An American Classic about the two stars of the ever so famous Chicago Bears. This film highlights the relationship of Brian and Gale as they grow a great friendship despite their small hate at first. It's a great film that will bring many to tears. A-
June 5, 2015
Good film. Great character portrayals by James Caan and Billy Dee Williams. The chemistry and camaraderie between the two is what makes this film so great. Brian's Song is worth seeing, even if you're not a fan of football.
½ January 24, 2015
So I love me some Billy Dee. I'm a big fan of Billy Dee Williams as the coolest man in the galaxy, Lando Calrissian from the "Star Wars" films. I also love his blaxploitation forays like "The Take" ("Meet the brother with a badge...on the take!"). A friend told me if I loved Billy Dee, I had to see "Brian's Song." So I watched it. Afterward, I felt like New Jersey Governor Chris Christie served only a single Ritz cracker for dinner: Wholly unsatisfied. Billy Dee plays some football player named Gale (who the hell names their baby boy Gale?!). And he wants this spot on the team, but so does this white guy Brian (Jimmy Caan!). And then they decide to be roommates when the team is on the road. And I'm thinking, Oooooh, this is starting to get good! But then Billy Dee gets injured, and Caan gets cancer. Jesus, I haven't felt this depressed since I learned Adam Sandler got $20 million to star in "You Don't Mess With The Zohan." I think if "Brian's Song" took out the cancer subplot and instead had the football team win the Super Bowl at the end, this would have been a much more satisfying movie. One sidenote: As a Chicagoan, I must ask. How can you make a movie about the Chicago Bears and not include William "The Refrigerator" Perry?! Get Ving Rhames to put on 200 pounds and bam, movie gold.
June 21, 2013
This really good television drama channels emotions especially the second half is emotionally hard while the whole film is kind-hearted with optimism. (A-)

(Full review coming soon)
February 18, 2014
Hearing about how this film is over sentimental and a short, I decided to give "Brian's Song" a try anyway. I thoroughly enjoyed "Brian's Song." Although a little cheesy at points, I really enjoyed the performances.
July 10, 2013
Brian's Song is really a true man movie. Taking many things the man loves and mixing them into one film that's truly great. Bernie Mac once said this was one of the only movies a man could cry to. It really shows the impact of friendship, diversity, athleticism, setback, and hilarity can do to two people who at the time seem so different from eachother. A classic that should be on every football loving, joke telling, hardy man's list. Simply 5 stars.
September 6, 2013
Watched this again recently for umpteenth time. I forget how wonderful this is and brings you to tears each time. V
½ May 10, 2013
"Brian's Song" is a film that's slightly long in the tooth and a bit short on the runtime, but it doesn't change the fact there's a wholeheartedly powerful story at its center and an beautiful dose of chemistry between its leads.
December 15, 2012
I'm not into sports, but the relationship of the two players, and the acting of Caan and Williams was exceptional
½ April 21, 2012
James Caan and Billy Dee Williams do a pretty good job as Gale Sayers and Brian Piccolo in this sad tale based on the real life events. Sad story told on the verge of melodrama...but it is a fairly effective melodrama, which has been one movie men will weep at for years (all it takes is football, huh?). I'm not a football fan, but I do think this is a solid made for TV movie.
April 18, 2012
It's sentimental sap wrapped up nicely in a football setting - the acting is okay for a television movie, but best of all, it runs at about 74 minutes. Thats a quality a lot of tearjerkers don't have.

74 minutes for Brian Piccolo seems about right.
½ March 24, 2012
Excellent movie that shows true friendship despite race or differences. Even though this movie was really short, it got to all the points and showed true emotions. The story of Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers was well portrayed in this film and the ending was really sad. A short and sweet film which didn't try and add in anything irrelevant or unnecessary. One of my favorites from the 1970's and great for any football fan who knows the nature of competition for a spot and what good friendships that can become of from teammates.
December 30, 2011
My father loved this movie as a youngster. I was glad we got a chance to see it and experience what it was all about. It is a truly touching story, especially considering that it is a true one and that the real Chicago Browns staff played themselves in order to give tribute to Brian Piccolo. The love between these two friends, Brian and Gale Sayers, is quiet and steady, their devotion to one another pushing though injury and illness. This is a timeless, heart-warming story of friendship and a beautiful tribute to a loving man.
July 25, 2010
A great movie based upon the True Story of friendship between Brian Piccalo and Gale Sayers. The director knew when he made this film that it would capture the heart of the audience, and it did. Recommended for those football fans out there, that know their history about the Bears. Def one to watch and own.
April 23, 2010
A sad movie (True Story) basd on the friendship of Brian Picollo and the new teamate, Gale Sayers, an african american who has to deal with racism. It is possibly the best TV movie ever made. It one 4 or 5 grammies.