27% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

A Christmas Story Reviews

Matthew Samuel M

December 23, 2013
Well-crafted and intelligent, A Christmas Story is a delightful classic with iconic scenes and a Middle America charm.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
Little Ralphie really wants a Red Ryder B. B. Gun for Christmas, and not even the objections of authority figures will dampen his quest to get it.

Good Lord, I love this movie. It seems like a funny, charming, and quirky little film, and it is, but it's also rather dark, twisted, and mean spirited. Somehow it all manages to work out though, and it somehow finds a balance.

The absurdity of the situations,and Jean Shepherd's excellent writing and narration are some definite highlights. His way of describing stuff and telling a good story is unmatched. The child actors are good, which is surprising since most are usually annoying and ridiculous. The adults are also pretty good, especially Darren McGavin, who just hams it up without overdoing it.

This is a strange Christmas film, but it's hard not to like. I think we've all had that one gift we always wanted, and hoped like Hell we'd get it. Along the way, this film also has some good lessons about life, childhood, growing up, and the ridiculousness both of life in general, and the holiday season.

I never get tired of watching this, and hope I never do.
Anthony L

January 3, 2012
I don't get the warm and fuzzy feeling of nostalgia watching this film as until this Christmas just passed, I'd never seen it. That is due to the fact that it never really took off in the UK as it did in the US, so was never on the telly. I wouldn't expect an American to want to watch or appreciate a Tommy Cooper Christmas special or a Morecambe & Wise repeat so please don't be offended by my star rating, it's just not my childhood.
Alice S

December 30, 2011
I tuned in halfway during TBS's A Christmas Story marathon. Everything was five-star gold. Watching it three more times kinda wore on me.
Everett J

December 25, 2011
Not many movies do I make sure to watch at least once a year, let alone watch it more than once a day. But, every year I look forward to watching this numerous times on Christmas Day. "Christmas Story" is the perfect Christmas movie. It captures what it's like to be a child with one toy in mind for Christmas. How that one toy consumes them and becomes their obsession. It also shows very dysfunctional people in a very functional loving family. Try to think of another movie with as many memorable and iconic scenes as this one? Leg lamp, tongue on pole, fudge, Santa putting his boot in Ralphie's face, among many more. This is a movie to be past down generations and shared with everyone. I can't wait for Grant to be old enough to laugh at this with me, like I have with my parents. Thanks to TBS for doing a marathon every year with. If you don't watch it at least once on Christmas, then I gotta ask: Why the hell not? Without this movie on Christmas, you might shoot your eye out.
blkbomb
blkbomb

January 18, 2011
Narrator: Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?

"Peace. Harmony. Comfort and Joy... Maybe Next Year."

Sure, I like A Christmas Story, but I still think it is extremely overrated. The fact that it is played for 24 straight hours, every single Christmas is pretty annoying. Yet I still watch it every single year. The film is not bad, just overrated. I find the narration rather annoying. I find the kid playing Ralphie rather annoying, but the movie as a whole is pretty funny. The kid with his tongue stuck to the pole yelling "Come back, don't leave me, come back," the mall Santa kicking Ralphie down the slide, the Chinese singers(Rarararaara) and Randy. The movie is humorous and obviously a classic.

An adult Ralphie tells the story of the Christmas where all he wanted was a BB gun. His mother didn't want him to have it because he would end up shooting his eye out. The whole film is a him telling the story through an annoying narration. I would like the movie so much more if the narration was non existent.

Still, A Christmas Story is one of those Christmas classics you have to see. I can't imagine how anyone hasn't seen it yet because it never stops playing each and every Christmas. If you haven't though, give it a look next Christmas and decide for yourself if it is the amazing film everyone thinks it is. I know I don't.
KJ P

October 3, 2010
Now here's a story where a simple premise goes a long way. "A Christmas Story" follows a young boy (Ralphie) as he is wanting only one present for christmas, a Red Rider BB Gun that everyone tells him he will shoot his eye out with. The mood of the film does not feel quite like the "christmas" atmosphere at times, but the heart, the christmas spirit, and the love that the family shares, is all present. It helms scenes that have been celebrates and spoofed throughout the years, like the tongue stuck to the pole gag, and there is not one moment in this christmas class that doesn't shout "masterpiece!" I absolutely loved every frame of this film, and without a doubt, it is one of the best holiday films of all time!
Matt G

September 12, 2011
You know a film's entertaining when you watch it on Christmas every year on a 24 hour loop.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 28, 2011
One of the greatest christmas film ever
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 18, 2007
classic, a must watch
AJ V

September 6, 2010
This film is now a modern Christmas classic, the story is both realistic and very funny. If you haven't seen it, check it out this next Christmas season.
michael e.
michael e.

December 19, 2010
I dont understand it at all, why so many people think this movie is and i quote "The best Christmas movie of all time!"
It is fairly decent but it is not that good ive seen it on countless christmas film lists and its always at number 1 half the time im not saying that the movie was bad i thought it was pretty good but its nowhere near that good and like national lampoons christmas vacation i think its way too overrated
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

December 12, 2010
Movie 23 is one I Wish I hadn't watched or rented. Basically an adult remembering his childhood and his mission to get a red rider BB gun. You will fall a sleep on this one, you must have better things to do like dropping a box of nails and picking them up. 1/2 star
Jay H

December 11, 2010
The film is really not as funny as it's often made out to be. Its moments of true comedy are few and far between, creating a bit of a snoozer in terms of its entertainment value. Billingsley, as the protagonist Ralph, is quite good, almost singlehandedly saving this film from the pits of disaster.
Spencer S

July 13, 2010
One of the perfect Christmas, and coming of age, movies out there.
Conner R

March 17, 2010
Maybe it's because this was shoveled out countless times when i was younger, absolutely detest watching this movie. The narration is so unbelievably campy and made overly important that nothing else manages to outweigh it. The child acting is also really bad and incredibly cheesy, to the point where you just want to strangle the characters. About the only thing good I have to say about it is Darren McGavin, who is completely flawless as the ultimate 40s father.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
Saw this once in a class. I'm not as in love as everyone is with it however.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 21, 2008
Hilarious X-mas movie!!! Remember Little Orphan Annie's Message: Be sure to drink your ovaltine! :)
Luke B

December 24, 2009
It's a good film, but I'll never understand the following it has. 24 hour marathons at Christmas? Really? It's a wonderful nostalgic look at childhood, but in terms of comedy it just isn't laugh out loud funny. The observations are amusing, but that's about it. Still, there's much to seek out in this cult classic, including some very impressive performances from a young cast. Over-hyped but still a must see.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 21, 2009
It's not officially Christmas at the Tippy house until:

* Randy eats his meatloaf
* Flick sees some grizzly bears near Pulaski's candy store
* The Bumpus hounds score some turkey
* Someone puts their tongue on the flagpole
* Scut Farkus gets what's coming to him

and finally...

Ralphie acquires his official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.