63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Cover Girl Reviews

Jennifer X

April 30, 2011
I love this movie! Especially Gene Kelly's graceful leap into fantasy with the mirrors number. Rita Hayworth proves a surprisingly apt match for the magnificent Kelly (my husband).
MissMorganLeee
MissMorganLeee

May 7, 2010
I really love Rita Hayworth. He is great! So is gene kelly (as always.)
Tom S

March 16, 2007
I think there's still a place for some of this in today's cinema. The musical numbers were too long, but that dancing on the street was a lot of fun. Think of what they could do with that Gene Kelly dancing with himself scene today.

Now I know what all the fuss was about in Shawshank. Rita Hayworth is a fox.
December 8, 2011
Really good musical. Good dancing and musical numbers, for me the highlight is the "I dreamed a dream" song. Rita Hayworth was has some good dance numbers, she's given more here to do than her two musicals made with Fred Astaire.
April 12, 2013
I am a Gene Kelly fan and he delivered in his "going crazy dance" with himself. That was a really good scene. Outside of that, I felt like the movie kept going on at times and felt like they could have cut 20 ~ 30 minutes out of the movie and not lost anything.
Turfseer
March 27, 2010
Poor Man's 'Singin' in the Rain'

*** This review may contain spoilers ***

Like 'Singin' in the Rain', 'Cover Girl' has a trio of two guys and a girl. In 'Cover Girl', Phil Silvers (Genius) is the comic relief. He corresponds to Donald O'Connor's funny man part in 'Singin in the Rain'. In Cover Girl, Gene Kelly's love interest is Rita Hayworth and in 'Rain', it's Debbie Reynolds. That's where the comparison ends.

Whereas "Singin' in the Rain' is a classic American movie musical, 'Cover Girl' is mediocrity incarnate. The story isn't very complicated. Rusty Parker (Rita Hayworth) is a dancer in Danny MacGuire's low-rent nightclub in Brooklyn. Rusty decides to enter a Cover Girl contest sponsored by a wealthy publisher, John Coudair, who made an unsuccessful play for Rusty's grandmother years ago. Coudair introduces Rusty to Broadway producer Noel Wheaton who makes her into a star. Danny feels slighted when Rusty starts showing up late for rehearsals at the nightclub and decides to close the club down and go on the road entertaining the troops along with his sidekick, Genius. At the last minute, with Rusty at the altar with Noel, she realizes the error of her ways and runs back to Danny. They live happily ever after.

Gene Kelly has the least developed part in the movie. All we find out about him is that he owns a nightclub and is madly in love with Rusty. Coudair and Wheaton act like besotted teenagers toward Rusty and Phil Silvers delivers some thoroughly goofy but unfunny shtick. The most interesting aspect of Rita Hayworth's performance is the scene in which she gets drunk. This foreshadows what happened to her in real life. Anyone who has read her biography will learn that she disliked Hollywood, pined away for a normal home life which she could never attain but eventually began drinking and ended up with full-blown Alzheimer's during the last years of her life.

Almost all of the songs in Cover Girl are old-fashioned and not very tuneful. Gene Kelly has only one really excellent dance number and that's the scene where he dances with his 'alter ego'. Earlier, the trio has another number which is a pale precursor of 'Make em Laugh' from 'Singin' in the Rain'.

The most annoying thing about 'Cover Girl' is the way in which Rita Hayworth is put up on a pedestal. A couple of decades later, Raquel Welch had the same problem. Both actresses later in their careers would always try and find scripts that showcased their acting abilities. They wanted to be known as 'actresses' and not 'pinup girls'. Unfortunately, 'Cover Girl' is an example of how Hollywood used to exploit women for financial gain.
jam233
September 3, 2009
An exceptional musical, made just prior to the hopelessly overdone musicals to come. Simple, subtle and with an amazingly good pairing of Rita Hayworth and Fred Astaire. Great score and musical numbers, excellent costumes and art direction. Fantastic support from Phil Silvers and especially Eve Arden.
artgirl29
July 3, 2008
A classic movie about a girl trying to make the big times and finding out that what she had was what she wanted.
April 4, 2008
the trio of Kelly-Hayworth-Silvers is almost as charming and electrifying as the Kelly-Reynolds-O'Connor trio to follow in later years. a terrific Hollywood musical with a great story and some absolutely outstanding dance numbers--Gene Kelly's dance with his reflection is a true artform. it's a real crime they don't make movies like this anymore.
May 23, 2007
Rita Hayworth and Gene...what a pair. She is just too beautiful. Loved the scene where Gene dances with his alter ego. Lots of work and preparation that must have taken.
June 1, 2007
Cheesy and predictable, but there are some great dance moments, like Gene Kelly's dance with himself. Rita Hayworth isn't my favorite actor, but she's definitely beautiful.
April 7, 2007
A mediocre plot with the cute chick flick factor that reminds me of some of today's movies. However with the wonderful acting of Rita Hayworth and Gene's amazing alter ego dance scene (a legendary performance), this movie has moved itself to one of my favorite movie musicals.
Four Star Film Fan
September 2, 2013
Rusty Parker (Rita Hayworth) is a chorus girl at Danny McGuire's place (Gene Kelly), however she has the chance of a lifetime to be the cover girl of a major magazine. She is going places with a rich suitor who wants to hire her and then propose marriage. Rusty neglects her old job and it leaves Danny dejected and angry. He knows that Rusty has a great future in front of her but he cannot stand to break up their team that includes their mutual friend Genius (Phil Silvers). At first Rusty does not understand her true feelings and rashly decides to get married. However, much like her grandmother before her, Rusty realizes in the nick of time how she feels.

This Technicolor film has one or two decent numbers and I was surprised how nimble Phil Silvers is on his toes. He dances well with Kelly and Hayworth. As always Eve Arden is as humorous as ever and Gene Kelly used his artistic control fairly well.
starlett2005
September 18, 2012
Cover Girl is a wonderful film. It is about Rusty Parker who wins a contest and becomes a celebrated cover girl; this endangers her romance with dancing mentor Danny. Rita Hayworth and Gene Kelly give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Charles Vidor did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the music and romance. Cover Girl is a must see.
July 6, 2011
A so-so plot doesn't diminish the athletic grace of Gene Kelly, the beauty and talent of Rita Hayworth, or the comedic skills of Eve Arden and Phil Silvers - in creating a fun and exuberant musical! Ignore the predictable plot and focus on the great songs and musical numbers!
Zeppo1
July 26, 2009
**1/2 (out of four)

Fair, amusing, and forgettable musical with the lovely Rita Hayworth as a dancer, hoping to make it big on Broadway. She joins a "Cover Girl" contest in hipes of making her dreams come true.
jazza923