Devil Doll Reviews

dietmountaindew
½ March 24, 2012
it was made in the thirties not sixties.
wrong flixster data.
flixsterman
February 4, 2009
"What Is the strange, terrifying evil secret of the dummy... and why is it locked in a cage every night? Is it flesh or wood? Man or monster? Alive or dead? The Devil Doll. It walks. It talks. It kills. Strange! Terrifying! Evil!" -tagline
bbcfloridabound
½ December 7, 2007
No doubt in my mind, that who ever wrote Chuckie, got his idea from this movie. Hugo was long before chuck was a wet spot in the writers eye. A Great B&W Britishuspense/horror film.
½ October 21, 2013
Lionel Barrymore in drag. Or at least earrings. He really looks like Granny, the owner of Tweety Bird. Maybe he was the inspiration. As a revenge tale this is somewhat incomprehensible. Why is it set in Paris, Noelle kept asking. I had no answer. The special effects are stunning for 1936. But, here is the thing, Lavond did not need little people to do any of what he did. Not really. But this one features one of the maddest mad scientist schemes in existence - shrinking all the humans in the world to eliminate starvation and over population. Kooky.
March 12, 2009
Pretty good acting with a bit of tension thrown in at the beginning and a trippy ending, made this interesting. It does go a bit slow, so it does take some of the fun out of it.
August 10, 2012
I've sent an e-mail to Flixster pointing out how this entire page seems to be a mash-up of both "The Devil-Doll" (1936) and "Devil Doll" (1964). I suggested that the page be wiped clean, and to post separate pages for each movie. That would indeed result in several reviews being 'lost," but it'd probably be better than having a single page polluted with incorrect reviews (including several from so-called "super reviewers" who apparently didn't even review the page itself - some referring to the '64 movie and some referring to the Lionel Barrymore film (which I feel has been adversely affected by this error, as the 32% rating might indicate).
March 11, 2012
A few creepy parts, but the story is boring and the characters aren't too great. The puppet is rather annoying but the ending had a nice twist. It's a pretty good MST3K episode too.
November 19, 2010
The 1936's Devil-Doll is a crazy mix of Frankenstein, The Littles, and Mrs. Doubtfire. Sounds strange enough right? This movie marks the steep decline in quality and in popularity of Tod Brownings work. He really picked up steam by directing classics like Dracula and Freaks, however he wasn't able to maintain that level of quality. Instead he retired from directing in 1939 and fell out of society; completely cutting himself off from everyone, including his family, until his death in 1962.

This movie is really intriguing with its use of the early "green screen" work and its other effects. That is really what drives the film. Other than that the movie sort of falls flat and ends very bizarrely.

Lionel Barrymore (Great uncle of Drew Barrymore) and Marcel are on the run after escaping from prison. Marcel is a great scientist and he drags Barrymore to his experiments once they escape. The experiments Marcel performs involve shrinking things down to 1/6th their original size. For the most part he carries out these feats of size reduction on his seemingly endless supply of dogs. The doctor has a heart attack and before he dies tells his vision of the world to Barrymore and his assistant (some lady with a limp). The Lady, determined to finish the doctor's work, decides that Barrymore must help her realize the late doctor's dream. So naturally Barrymore just becomes a doctor in about 5 minuets. He even comments "I couldn't help, I was a Banker". How does this guy just up and become a scientist?It bugs me! The movie goes on from there with Barrymore using the method used to shrink things to clear his name, and then lives out the rest of his years in peace. That is pretty much the entire movie.

There are some freaky parts like when he tortures his victims by paralyzing them with a tiny dagger dipped in paralyzing potion, or when Lionel Barrymore dresses up as an old woman to allude the police. His make-up is pretty uncanny. You wouldn't even know that you were looking at veteran actor of the stage and screen. The movie didn't have a lasting impression on me though and I am going to give it a mere 4 out of 10.

I am going to go be a surgeon now.

S!D
½ August 14, 2010
i believe it is the first killer doll film made by tod browning the guy who made dracula and freaks its not exactly a masterpiece but its pretty good 7\10