The Eagle Has Landed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Eagle Has Landed Reviews

½ February 13, 2009
"The only time this plan makes any sense to me is when I'm drunk"

What a waste of time. Ok, so basically the film has an interesting plot. A bunch of nazis on a covert mission to kidnap Winston Churchill, which could have lead to a big victory for Hitler.

The film starts very slowly and is a real borefest thru its entire duration. In the middle of the film, the movie reaches its comedic heights when Larry Hagman's character, Colonel Pitts tries to take control of the events. What a character and what a bad performance by Hagman. But he's not the only actor who should've stayed out of the film. Robert Duvall and Donald Sutherland, whom I consider to be good actors, are probably ashamed of their performances in "The Eagle Has Landed".

Like in the quote of this review, I'd probably enjoyed this movie more if I had been drunk. Not a major disaster but totally overrated and a fine example of wasted talent.
deano
½ March 15, 2007
This war movie gets started on a promising note, but it is sabotaged by a weak, contrived ending.
puffchunk
November 19, 2007
About as good as something i wished I'd seen for free.
garyX
January 9, 2007
An interesting "What if..." based plot about a german plot to assassinate Churchill is efficiently handled by an action stalwart. The cast is strong, and gives the german would be assassins a rather more understanding and human slant in an unusual and effective WWII thriller.
½ June 12, 2006
Another of those fine conspiracy movies from the 70s. A wonderful cast from Caine, to Duvall, to Sutherland, to Jenny Agutter, to Jean Marsh. As with The Day of the Jackal, you have to employ your willing suspension of disbelief when it comes to the goal of assassinating Winston Churchill, but the ride to the inevitable conclusion is a lot of fun.
Harlequin68
February 11, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=olive]"The Eagle Has Landed" is a particularly, daft piece of lunacy. It starts out with a mention of a Nazi paratrooper rescue of Mussolini in 1943(which actually did happen). Since that worked so well and nobody was doing anything on Saturday night, Hitler decided to try and kidnap Churchill while he is visiting a coastal village. When the first character we meet is a one eyed German general played by Robert Duvall(Curt Jurgens was busy?), you get a feeling where this one is heading.(It is very strange seeing Duvall sharing scenes with Donald Sutherland, just six years after M*A*S*H.) Plus, it takes forever to get moving. And the ending has to be one of the most convoluted of recent memory. Michael Caine and Donald Pleasance are of course better than the material. Donald Sutherland seems to be having fun as an Irish rogue. But for the first time, Jenny Agutter is an unwelcome distraction.[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=olive][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#808000]Robert Duvall and Michael Caine would reunite 20+ years later for Secondhand Lions.[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#808000][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#808000]Duvall and Treat Williams would again be on opposite sides in The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper(1981).[/color][/font]
nickymo89
½ August 11, 2008
Based on a Jack Higgins book (which I loved), it is a good ensemble based World War II about the German plot to kidnap Winston Churchill. Neat that it is told from the German's point of view. Ending could be better bit overall if you like films like The Dirty Dozen or The Great Escape, then give this a go. A young Michael Caine is good but Donald Sutherland steals the show.
½ May 12, 2008
One of my favourite war films. Can watch this repeatedly and never get bored. So it's odd that it's not considered one of the 'greats' by a lot of people. Sturges made the more famous 'Great Escape' so he knows his stuff. The extended edition is the one to watch as it develops the relationships more (especially Devlin and Molly) and the cuts aren't so extreme. Docked half a mark for the obvious picture of the ship shot at the end. Otherwise a classic. Wish they'd make the sequel. Maybe they could remake this for TV and then do 'Flown'!
iLeo
January 13, 2008
Very good.
DrLappos
½ July 5, 2007
Bought it, loved it, superb film.
½ October 20, 2013
I was a little disappointed to find out this movie was only 50% true. Its a fun movie with a good story and lots of clever dialogue. I am a sucker for movies like this, i wish they still make these big WW2 movies. Its only weakness is a in typical Hollywood fashion they had to throw in a crappy love story now one cares about.
June 14, 2012
An interesting idea with fair execution and a great cast. Sadly I can't help but notice post-war Carbines with 30 round mags and not be taken out of the movie at this point, but most of the combat stuff seemed pretty amateurish anyways. Okay movie.
½ January 29, 2012
One of the weaker entries in the WWII-caper subgenre. Michael Caine does give a great performance as the "noble Nazi," but Donald Sutherland is downright painful to watch. He's a pot o' gold away from being a stereotypical Irish caricature.
July 8, 2011
The only time this plan makes any sense to me is when I'm drinking

A group of reluctant German militia led by a British double agent and an Irish loyalist are sent into Ireland to capture Winston Churchill. The Germans have intercepted some intelligence that stated Churchill would be passing through a small town with minimal security and would be positioned for the taking. Can the militia and the Irishman pass as locals in the village long enough to capture Churchill when he passes through?

"The results of a pretty girl at a party rarely results in climax, but a man would be a fool not to take a suggestion as far as it'll go."

John Sturges, director of China, McQ, Joe Kidd, The Great Escape, The Magnificent Seven, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Escape from Fort Bravo, and Keeper of the Bees, delivers The Eagle Has Landed. The storyline for this picture is okay but nothing special for the genre and the movie is a bit slow paced overall. The acting was better than average and the cast includes Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland, Robert Duvalle, Treat Williams, Jenny Agutter, Donald Pleasence, and Jean Marsh.

"Today I leave, boy. From now on, when you see me, you leave."

I was excited to see this film based on its marvelous cast; however, this picture is methodical and a bit boring. I thought it would be more like Kelly's Heroes in terms of action and as a quality picture; unfortunately, this was nowhere near as interesting. Overall, this is only worth watching due to the excellent acting. The plot and premise never materialize as you may hope.

"Get his body off the wheel."

Grade: C+
½ September 13, 2009
Interesting but very stale and very slow. This movie could have been half as long. Most of the characters are kooky too, Hogan's Heroes had more believable characters. The main german bad guy played by Michael Caine has an english accent throughout. Plenty of better movies out there.
½ September 19, 2007
How can a movie about Nazis trying to kidnap Winston Churchill, directed by the man who made The Great Escape, be so weak and downright dull at times? Well, first, you take an extremely talented cast of British actors and make them do extremely weak German accents. Then take Donald Sutherland and make him do an even worse Irish accent and be the "comic relief." This movie should have been so much better considering the talent involved, but it just never added up to anything more than a decent piece of entertainment.
November 21, 2008
The last film directed by legendary action director John Sturges, but sadly not one of his best. The novel by Jack Higgins was fairly entertaining, but in a throw-away sort of way, and thus doesn't lead to a very memorable film. None of the actors, save possibly for Donald Pleasance as Himmler, were very convincing as Germans (perhaps with good reason, as they were all played by Brits, Canadians or Americans...), and a nit-wit American colonel played by Larry Hagman was TOTALLY out of place in what was supposed to be an action film with an element of suspense to it. If you're a fan of Higgins' novels, I guess you could find this moderately entertaining, but it's probably skippable otherwise.
½ October 25, 2007
A must see. My favorite War Movie of all time. Very creative and well acted. Multifronts. You see how each character is effected by one plot. Caines best role ever in a film. Robert Duvall is great.Hagman is funny. The theme behind this block buster is the kidnapping of Winston Churchill to end the war with a settled peace. It all goes wrong by saving a child from drowning. I only give it 4 1/2 stars because I dont give 5 stars.
October 18, 2007
Good story, great cast and an intriguing plot, but way overlong with too many slow stretches. Top notch quality in the production.