The Eagle Has Landed Reviews

½ February 13, 2009
"The only time this plan makes any sense to me is when I'm drunk"

What a waste of time. Ok, so basically the film has an interesting plot. A bunch of nazis on a covert mission to kidnap Winston Churchill, which could have lead to a big victory for Hitler.

The film starts very slowly and is a real borefest thru its entire duration. In the middle of the film, the movie reaches its comedic heights when Larry Hagman's character, Colonel Pitts tries to take control of the events. What a character and what a bad performance by Hagman. But he's not the only actor who should've stayed out of the film. Robert Duvall and Donald Sutherland, whom I consider to be good actors, are probably ashamed of their performances in "The Eagle Has Landed".

Like in the quote of this review, I'd probably enjoyed this movie more if I had been drunk. Not a major disaster but totally overrated and a fine example of wasted talent.
½ March 15, 2007
This war movie gets started on a promising note, but it is sabotaged by a weak, contrived ending.
November 19, 2007
About as good as something i wished I'd seen for free.
January 9, 2007
An interesting "What if..." based plot about a german plot to assassinate Churchill is efficiently handled by an action stalwart. The cast is strong, and gives the german would be assassins a rather more understanding and human slant in an unusual and effective WWII thriller.
½ June 12, 2006
Another of those fine conspiracy movies from the 70s. A wonderful cast from Caine, to Duvall, to Sutherland, to Jenny Agutter, to Jean Marsh. As with The Day of the Jackal, you have to employ your willing suspension of disbelief when it comes to the goal of assassinating Winston Churchill, but the ride to the inevitable conclusion is a lot of fun.
February 11, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=olive]"The Eagle Has Landed" is a particularly, daft piece of lunacy. It starts out with a mention of a Nazi paratrooper rescue of Mussolini in 1943(which actually did happen). Since that worked so well and nobody was doing anything on Saturday night, Hitler decided to try and kidnap Churchill while he is visiting a coastal village. When the first character we meet is a one eyed German general played by Robert Duvall(Curt Jurgens was busy?), you get a feeling where this one is heading.(It is very strange seeing Duvall sharing scenes with Donald Sutherland, just six years after M*A*S*H.) Plus, it takes forever to get moving. And the ending has to be one of the most convoluted of recent memory. Michael Caine and Donald Pleasance are of course better than the material. Donald Sutherland seems to be having fun as an Irish rogue. But for the first time, Jenny Agutter is an unwelcome distraction.[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=olive][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#808000]Robert Duvall and Michael Caine would reunite 20+ years later for Secondhand Lions.[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#808000][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#808000]Duvall and Treat Williams would again be on opposite sides in The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper(1981).[/color][/font]
½ August 11, 2008
Based on a Jack Higgins book (which I loved), it is a good ensemble based World War II about the German plot to kidnap Winston Churchill. Neat that it is told from the German's point of view. Ending could be better bit overall if you like films like The Dirty Dozen or The Great Escape, then give this a go. A young Michael Caine is good but Donald Sutherland steals the show.
½ May 12, 2008
One of my favourite war films. Can watch this repeatedly and never get bored. So it's odd that it's not considered one of the 'greats' by a lot of people. Sturges made the more famous 'Great Escape' so he knows his stuff. The extended edition is the one to watch as it develops the relationships more (especially Devlin and Molly) and the cuts aren't so extreme. Docked half a mark for the obvious picture of the ship shot at the end. Otherwise a classic. Wish they'd make the sequel. Maybe they could remake this for TV and then do 'Flown'!
January 13, 2008
Very good.
½ July 5, 2007
Bought it, loved it, superb film.
½ January 29, 2012
One of the weaker entries in the WWII-caper subgenre. Michael Caine does give a great performance as the "noble Nazi," but Donald Sutherland is downright painful to watch. He's a pot o' gold away from being a stereotypical Irish caricature.
November 21, 2008
The last film directed by legendary action director John Sturges, but sadly not one of his best. The novel by Jack Higgins was fairly entertaining, but in a throw-away sort of way, and thus doesn't lead to a very memorable film. None of the actors, save possibly for Donald Pleasance as Himmler, were very convincing as Germans (perhaps with good reason, as they were all played by Brits, Canadians or Americans...), and a nit-wit American colonel played by Larry Hagman was TOTALLY out of place in what was supposed to be an action film with an element of suspense to it. If you're a fan of Higgins' novels, I guess you could find this moderately entertaining, but it's probably skippable otherwise.
February 15, 2007
I really enjoyed this war movie and it had some stand out performances.A very fascinating story of the Nazis plan to kidnap Churchill and how they almost pulled it off. Donald Pleasance really impressed me with his small cameo of Reichsfuhrer Himmler.
November 10, 2006
John Sturges helms this wonderful, thrilling WWII film seen from the other side. Great performances from Caine, Sutherland, Duvall and Jenny Agutter (man, that woman just gets sexier with age.) Check it out.
½ February 27, 2014
Reminiscent of British classics like 'Went the Day Well?', 'The Eagle Has Landed' is a good, old-fashioned suspenseful World War II film that leads us on a journey through the English countryside before giving way to a spectacularly thrilling standoff between the German and American soldiers against the backdrop of a small East Anglian village. Whilst the film's plot development is very slow paced and there is a lack of German accents from some of more prestigious actors (instead sticking to their native English accents), 'The Eagle Has Landed' is a well-executed, nostalgic British wartime movie featuring some stunning locations and an all-star cast.
August 13, 2009
I have enjoyed pretty much all the classic movies i have missed over the years but this movie was not quite in that league. Its way to slowpaced right from the start with lack of excitement which is important for a flick like this. It almost didn't felt like a war movie either and not until the last 30 min it became somewhat better. Its a brilliant cast like Michael Caine , Donald Sutherland , Robert Duvall and Donald Pleasence so its a bit shame the movie didn't deliver more quality / excitement. Its not a bad movie despite all this and it has some good moments overall but it can't compete with many other similar classic flicks im afraid.
January 1, 2014
Like the nazi plot, the movie, which begins as dull but not particularly awful falls apart at its preposterously contrived middle.
December 7, 2013
Executed with precision and flair
½ October 20, 2013
I was a little disappointed to find out this movie was only 50% true. Its a fun movie with a good story and lots of clever dialogue. I am a sucker for movies like this, i wish they still make these big WW2 movies. Its only weakness is a in typical Hollywood fashion they had to throw in a crappy love story now one cares about.
½ December 19, 2012
A powerful beginning, great build-up, an interesting side-story to keep us interested and great finishing action sequences make for a World War II movie that is well worth seeing, even if it wraps up rather anti-climactically.