63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

90% Outlander: Season 1

Fahrenheit 451 Reviews

Daniel P

February 11, 2008
I'm coming to love Truffaut, but even my second time through this film - the first time was Grade 10 English class, after the book was assigned - I found it really boring, nowhere near as intriguing as the novel. Full marks for the production design and the source material, but definitely not the director's best work... far from it.
Carlos M

March 30, 2012
Transposed to the screen by Truffaut and with an evoking score by Bernard Herrmann, Ray Bradbury's terrifying vision of a future is a brilliant allegory that remains intelligent and pertinent even today - when books may not be destroyed but are scorned by the people themselves.
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

January 21, 2011
What has always impressed me about Bradbury's classic is his commitment to post-Enlightenment ideals. This film and Bradbury's novel obviously condemn book-burning. And the film lingers on the burning pages with an almost-overwrought, almost-melodramatic pathos. But it also shows Mein Kampf about to be torched. What Bradbury says is that in accordance with post-Enlightenment philosophy, when people are allowed free access to ideas, invariably the good ideas rise to the top and the bad ones fall. It is only after we trust in the goodness of human perception that we can see the burning of Hilter's work as tragic as the burning of Twain.
What I've written so far is only about the source material because that's the only part of this film I liked. We never get to see Montag's journey; he goes from book-burner to reader in the matter of a quick night and a quicker conversation.
I normally don't care about set design, but this is a shallow, half-hearted attempt at creating a Stepford Wives future, and we needed a greater commitment to this idea if Truffaut wanted to feature the design so prominently.
Finally, I was remarkable unimpressed by Oskar Werner. His command of English was a stark contrast to all the characters around him, and he remained stolid, emotionless, and ineffective throughout most of the film's action.
Overall, read the book; don't see the film.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
This may seem a strange film if you haven't read the book, but if you have you know it's awesome. I really liked the movie.
Daniel H

December 16, 2007
A classic sci-fi film in the social-commentary vein of Soylent Green. Unlike the latter, though, Fahrenheit 451 as a film ages very badly. The world seems thin, as if it were only fleshed out enough to support the weight of its single message and metaphor... and whatever meat is put on its skeletal plot, seems to clumsy and dull to fit with a message that begs for darkly polished satire.

Regardless, the film contains some of the more iconic scenes of 1960's socially-minded sci-fi, and influential (if shallow and occasionally unfounded) messages, and is worth watching at least for this alone. Sadly, it is unmistakable as a poor adaptation whose high-points are not a result of good film-making or engaging acting, but instead it's excellent source material.
Cindy I

May 21, 2007
Lots of people seem to like this, and while I like the concept of it, I find it pretty dull.
Pierluigi P

June 10, 2007
Truffaut attemps to make a Hitchcock film. the results are good without being among his average films. Julie Christie is beautiful (as always) and gives a surprisingly good double role. Oskar Werner does a fine job as the self absorbed fireman. overall an interesting dystopian fantasy.
cosmo313
cosmo313

February 11, 2008
Enjoyable and underrated adaption of Bradbury's classic dystopian novel.
rayman0071
rayman0071

December 1, 2006
A stunning realistic view of a society gone completely mad from French director Francois Truffaut-whom by the way produced his first ever English language film and gives us a world goes astray in chilling Technicolor. Based on the novel by Ray Bradbury and starring Oskar Werner and Julie Christie.
Ken S

April 19, 2007
Great 60's Sci-Fi
Marcus W

August 30, 2008
The story is still poignant and timeless, but Truffaut was not the right director.
hawkledge
hawkledge

March 14, 2009
Provocative, wonderfully portentous, all of the images take on chilling deadness. Fascinating dual role played by Julie Christie. Truffaut's confident first stride into English filmmaking.
Dracula787
Dracula787

April 6, 2008
An adaptation of the famous Ray Bradbury novel directed by the great French New Wave director François Truffaut. This was Truffaut?s only English language film, which shows because he didn?t seem to have much control over vocal performances. The film seems to take place in the UK, but the star has a thick German accent for some unexplained reason. I was also really annoyed with Julie Christie?s character. That character was so stupid and annoying I couldn?t take it, to Christie?s credit that character is sort of supposed to be a dingbat, but it was still a pain to watch. Truffaut is a creative guy and he does a fairly good job creating a future dystopia on a budget, but some of the effects are laughably dated. Bradbury?s story remains fascinating and there were quite a few good scenes, but for the most part I don?t think this was a great adaptation.
August 12, 2014
I love the sets, though they look way less futuristic and just flat out 60s, I don't see why they didn't try a little harder. The point of the movie was lost on me too, I felt zero emotion throughout, and by the end I was mostly bored. Oh well.
August 27, 2012
A quaintly insightful yet stiff, emotionally muted and distractingly art directed adaptation of an imaginative fantasy.
September 4, 2010
An agreeable portrayal of the book. Some interesting twists with Christie playing two roles. I think I like her better with short hair. Additionally, the adaptions of making things futuristic was done subtly and not over played. The flat screen was a good example, the upside-down mono rail must have cost a fortune, and the sets/places as a whole were credible. It had a feeling of emptiness that was compounded by the Herrman soundtrack, this made for a more suspenseful movie that captured the desperation of the cause for knowledge and books.
March 25, 2012
Though it's been quite some time since I've read Fahrenheit 451, the film adaptation seems a shallow representation of a work that years ago seemed very profound. The extension of the lack of the written word, not just books but on newspapers and files, was the most glaring issue because somehow everyone still knew how to read despite not having legal reading materials within their lifetime. The passage of time was disjointed, with apparent weeks having to pass between scenes without any natural narrative flow. The overall feel of the film was almost comedic, due mainly to the awful circusy soundtrack. Oskar Werner is a decent lead, but for some reason he's constantly sweating like a nervous play-actor on stage. In honor of Bradbury's message, I'd say turn off the TV and read the book.
GabrielKnight
August 29, 2011
This movie just didn't work for me - it felt dated and rather dull, devoid of emotions. I'm not sure if it's due to poorly written dialogue or stiff acting, or perhaps the combination of the two. Cinematography is great but not enough to hold the movie together. This is certainly no Brazil or 1984.
JennabGreat
February 28, 2011
Odd, just like the book, but I liked the book and I did the movie as well. It'd be sweet if they remade this film; it'd be badass!
yogibear900081
October 28, 2010
this flick was phenomenal!!! the acting was great and julie christie has never looked so good in a double role and a miniskirt :P oskar did a fabulous job as Guy Montag...