• PG, 1 hr. 47 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Four Seasons Reviews

Matthew L

October 28, 2009
There is something comforting about this movie, no matter how old it is. The cast just gels here and the acting is not half bad. Alan Alda directed this gem and stars with Carol Burnett and Rita Moreno about 4 couples that do everything together. The big piece of this movie is that it shows the trials and tribulations of marriage and how difficult it can be to have friends. The storyline is not the strong part of the movie, it is the acting. I was surprised to see the performances by two of the biggest comedians in the business. Bess Armstrong puts on a good performance as well!
texascowan
November 13, 2011
LOVE Alan Alda and how he can make this movie yet it never grows old... the discussions and deep thoughts in this movie as well as the comic relief is wonderful! A True classic
March 29, 2010
This is an oldie but it's great and still stands the test of time today. A very realistic portrayal of marriage, friendship,aging and the seasons of your life both bitter and sweet
June 6, 2007
A great movie that looks at what happens to relationships (of any kind) when middle age starts creeping up on you. And I just LOVE Carol Burnett!!!
May 14, 2006
Ya gotta love Alan Alda. Some parts of the film are very funny, and there is decently good conflict. But, the resolution is very poor. I understand that there is no real answer to the problems that the characters were face with in the film, there is no clear and obvious answer, but however when writing about complexities of people and dynamics of relationships there, needs to be some closure, which Alda just doesn't present. While it's obvious to see what he was trying to do, it ultimately didn't work as well as he would of hoped it would of.
November 15, 2013
"are we having fun yet". that quote is this films lasting legacy and while its good i am not sure why it stuck. This movie feels a lot like a woddy allen movie with adifferentsense of humor. Its also probably meant for someone a little older then me.
November 2, 2013
I grew up watching this movie and still enjoy it. A simple, feel good film. Period.
July 30, 2013
I watched The Four Seasons as an avid movie buff kid, and decided to watch it again only recently, as I remembered enjoying it. The first fifteen minutes are overstuffed with middle age couples laughing hysterically and Alan Alda chewing with his mouth open, which is annoying as hell, as if the characters are forced upon the viewer as lovable, but it actually continues as a engaging story about a year in the life of three couples, one of which is going through a divorce, one is a bit older and features a hypochondriac, while Alda and Burnett play the moral authority of the group. Sandy starts as the weirdo of the group, and when she's replaced by Len with a much younger Bess, the rest of the group have to accept the new girl, which isn't easy. That's the whole premise. It's a slice of life, with real people going through real issues, and they're portrayed by real actors. That's how this movie's aged: the characters look their age, without Botox or porcelain veneers (despite the movie's most recent cover design), they don't look perfect, they just look real. And that's why this was easy to watch. Although, it would be best to watch it while working on something, or on a weekend morning or afternoon, otherwise you might stop it after the first twenty minutes or so. It's in the same category as The Big Chill. Hollywood doesn't make movies like this anymore, whatever is similar is labeled as 'indie' and doesn't get decent theatrical distribution.
July 2, 2012
Charming and delightful as several couples who vacation together realize that everything changes. The cast is outstanding!
June 24, 2012
Love the script and cast. Pleasant film to watch any time.
May 27, 2012
I found this film very interesting. I like Ren...she is my fav. I watch this film with my friends all the time its the best. Love Alex Horsley.
March 1, 2011
A fairly decent movie. I love Carol Burnett but she couldn't really show her comedic talents in this one, due to Alan Alda writing her limited dialogue. I gave it 3 stars because i feel like the ending could've been better & although it was made in 1981, a sex scene between two of the characters would've been hilarious. I don't want to spoil it, but there were points when the movie was slow & could've picked up faster if some scenes were put in that weren't included.
February 26, 2011
an oldie but a goodie, one of my favorites!!
Ben F.
November 1, 2010
We all know that sinking feeling that comes as a friendship disintegrates. You're laughing and talking and then suddenly, you find yourselves irritatingly each other, in ways both merely irksome and genuinely hurtful. It's a feeling as inevitable as the changing of seasons.

How fitting then that "The Four Seasons" devotes itself entirely to that feeling. Alan Alda (who also occupies the director's chair) plays Jack, the center of a gang of friends who traditionally spend vacations together. But through spring, summer, fall, and winter, things change. Someone gets divorced; someone else grows increasingly angsty; and a younger member of the group is made to feel unwelcome, solely because of her newness to the posse. In the end, tensions rise so high that Jack unleashes a burst of destructive violence, leading to a chaotic conclusion that is at once cathartic and dementedly joyous.

By all means, this is a bitter pill to swallow. But as director, Mr. Alda helps it go down easily by inviting us to actually like these venomous characters. We moan over their mistakes, even as we know that put in the same position, our actions would be similar. Whether its flirting trecherously (and hopelessly) or shoot a friend down when they've opened up to us, we've all made some of the mistakes here. And what an interesting manner they are presented in--setting each act in a specific season grants the film a clear dramatic arc, yet a wonderfully intimate atmosphere.

There is only one thing I regret--the ending. I have no problem with happily ever after, but the clash between the characters is so verbally murderous that seeing them singing in a jolly fashion seems like a dishonest coda. But perhaps that is the point--troubles are always lurking beneath the surface, and are rarely admitted to.
Del Taco
May 9, 2010
Alan Alda's best directorial effort. A breezingly light examination of the relationship of three couples, told through four vacations they take together over the spring, summer, fall, and winter. During those trips, the couples examine their lives, careers and marriages. But Alda smartly doesn't go heavy handed with this. It's a comedy, and he engages us with their comic misadventures during each of these trips. The most successfully presented and funniest is Summer. A yacht excursion in the Bahamas, where sea sickness, nude swimming, and the introduction of new spouse, the stunningly hot Bess Armstong in a white bikini, provide most of the laughs. Film loses momentum towards the end during the Winter sequence, but the overall good will and charm makes you forgive this lull.
Bill M.
April 3, 2009
Alan Alda at his directorial and acting best
horbinski
March 28, 2005
:) Such a great movie ~ happy, sad, hysterical, and so much fun! Makes you want to know them so you can join them on vacation. Great soundtrack also.
funkmaster5
March 9, 2004
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]A really good thought provoking movie if you haven't seen it. Four couples who have been such good friends over the years that they take vacations together until... one couple gets a divorce. This movie delves into the intricate relationships these people have with each other as well as how they relate as couples. Now they must deal with this event that has turned their relationships upside down. Sort-of your typical middle aged guy dumps his wife of 20 years and goes after the younger woman. How does that new person "fit" into the group and does the group allow her to "fit" in?? How do they deal with the resentment they feel that their friend has changed the group they all loved and introduced someone new that they immediatly want to dislike and remain loyal to the original woman? Very interesting dynamics and some very funny comedy from some great actors. One of Carol Burnetts dramatic roles and she handles it very well. Alan Alda is the perfect funny, nervous, neurotic analyzer. My only gripe is there is too little of Sandy Dennis - one of my favorites. A totally enjoyable movie and the soundtrack is terrific especially if you like classical (Vivaldi) like I do. In the end this movie just makes you feel good. [/size][/font]