Gloria

Gloria Reviews

JonathanHutchings
JonathanHutchings

February 18, 2013
I like "non-studio film Cassavetes" much better.
Pierluigi P

July 30, 2007
An ass-kicking Gena Rowlands is the major force behind this riveting, one of a kind gangster film from the unique vision of American new wave's craftsman John Cassavetes. direct precursor of Leon: The professional.
jjnxn
jjnxn

March 29, 2007
a real sense of the grittiness of new york and gena rowlands is outstanding as usual
iLeo
iLeo

July 10, 2008
Although the re-make is not that bad, I prefer this version of "Gloria" with Gena Rowlands.
July 16, 2014
Holy shit, what a movie. Gena Rowlands is a goddamn queen- amazing layered and flawed female lead, say no more. Thrilling and surprisingly touching, all in the backdrop of New York City in 1980. I can't ask for more.
December 9, 2011
Weird movie. Felt it could have been better. The kid annoyed the hell out of me. The logic of the characters is baffling. It feels like a then contemporary (1980) film, but with it's heart set in the 30s or 40s (the kids actually say "dames"). I guess it was trying to go for a noir feel; the dialogue seems way too stilted/stylized. I admire the strong, matter-of-fact action heroine that they were going for; ultimately I feel the movie fails more than it succeeds.
January 19, 2008
This should really be an embarrassment for Cassavetes and Rowlands. It's the worst performance I've seen from her and the worst script I've seen from him. Goes nowhere and it takes its time. The direction is uncharacteristically ordinary and unashamedly manipulative. It seems they sold out to Hollywood, but fortunately they were able to follow up with the much more fulfilling "Love Streams".
rideswithastorm
June 3, 2007
This strange look at the life of a mob lady, is the best ever and I dare say, the ONLY one of its kind. The acting is impeccable (Gena Rowlands is BRILLIANT and totally deadly, as Gloria), the action and story are absorbing. HIGHLY entertaining and a VERY riveting film, with many intimately epiphanal moments.
April 18, 2007
I saw this in a theater as a kid in Chicago. I can still remember the opening scenes. I'm surprised to see it listed as PG. I guess it's PG like parts of the Godfather are PG. Good film by Cassevetes.
blkvoyeurazzman1
April 17, 2007
Gloria was a BAD Lady, worth the watch especially to Sharon Stone's lame version. The little boy is funny too.
TheFeldster
February 5, 2014
A very gripping entry into the filmography of director John Cassavetes, "Gloria" put a blueprint for the kick-ass heroins that Hollywood is starting to become more acquainted with in the modern age.

Portrayed by Gena Rowlands, Gloria is a former mistress of a mobster who is forced to protect a precocious 6 year old child (honestly, the character is one of the most grating I've watched, even for his age) after his family were brutally murdered by the mob in New York.

Cassavetes' style means the emotional journey taken by Gloria and the child, as they go from full-blown contempt to a loving and caring relationship, but in the odd scenes containing the mobsters, Rowlands holds her own as a strong woman who wasn't afraid of firing a few rounds - something that was, and still is to an extent, notably absent in Hollywood.

Overall, this is a great old film and well worth a watch, although it takes a strong will to get past the annoying child that drives the plot.
September 19, 2013
Gena nails it. An excellent thriller, with caveats: The young lad doesn't as much act as merely recite lines. And the slo-mo scenne at the end is embarrassing. Other than that...
June 6, 2013
I love it. I have watched it multiple times because of the wonderful interaction between Gena Rowlands and Juan Adames. Gena really elevated the sophistication of this movie with her powerhouse acting.
March 23, 2013
A tag too commercial and not Cassavetes' strongest script, but Gena Rowlands is magnificent in the title role.
March 23, 2013
I actually like the movie. I remember seeing when I was a kid and I just watched it again tonight on TMC. I don't get why the little boy got such bad reviews. I thought he was adorable and he did a good job. He was a kid and I think some of the reviews were harsh. I don't think he was "dead weight" in this movie. He made the movie to me. Although I think Gena Rowlands was very good I think he did pretty well along side her. That's my opinion.
March 23, 2013
Holy cats what a good movie, although kind of a depressing story. Gena Rollins as knockout works in this one.
March 18, 2013
This is dam great film. And I want to see it again
December 16, 2012
Luce Besson's "LĂ (C)on: The Professional" was inspired by this film! Gena Rowlands is awesome as Gloria, John Adames acts unbelievably good. Another great film from maestro John Cassavetes!