Hawaii Reviews

jjnxn
½ November 18, 2010
Turgid, overlong epic has beautiful location scenery and a story with possibilities- organized religion's arrogant assumption that what it believes is right even if it destroys a civilization is right. While it conveys that in many ways something is ultimely missing from the overall film that keeps it from being involving keeping the viewer at a distance. Von Sydow is a fine actor but his Reverend Hale is such a pompous, small minded autocrat that spending over 2 1/2 hours with him is a trial. Julie Andrews is wasted although she does have one good scene near the end.
½ July 16, 2008
Interesting to see the effects of over zealous Christians.
March 27, 2009
I like Julie Andrews, but I did NOT like this movie. It's too long and von Sydow actually scared me with his religious fanaticism.
April 25, 2007
Perfect in every respect. I would had a hard time not falling for Richard Harris myself. Andrews, Harris, and Von Sydow are awesome in this spirtually insightful movie that captivated the beauty of the Hawaiian people and well meaning but misguided evangelism tactics.
½ April 21, 2015
The film feels dated and is laboring to get through.
January 16, 2009
A bit corny and too craftily calculated for recommendation, but epic nonetheless.
February 2, 2013
A sad but engaging movie, with some compelling and sympathetic characters, who face a great deal of tragedy. The final tragedy for Max Von Sydow's character, is the way the Reverend Hale is treated by his "church," when he finally becomes a Christian.
February 14, 2012
Superb acting tackle the quiet brutality of the Westernized world and it's destructive influence.
March 1, 2011
I have seen numerous movies in my entire lifetime and whether they are good or bad, the movies that I have watched always include some entertaining value. But with 1966's "Hawaii" I get a movie that really bored me out of my skull. Based off the novel of the same name by James A. Michener, starring Julie Andrews, Richard Harris, and Max Von Sydow, and directed by George Roy Hill, this movie is one that I cannot stand. Rest assured, it's a bad or terrible film per se, but it is a movie that is severely flawed. This movie is a boring snooze-fest that I personally think should be remade.

The plot of the movie centers on a band of Christian mercenaries to go to the islands of Hawaii and convert the natives living there to listen to the word of God. Lead by the Rev. Abner Hale (Sydow) and new wife Jerusha, they arrive at the islands during the 1800s to get rid of the native's old religious beliefs so that they will accept Jesus Christ as their Savior. What I mean by this is that the native Hawaiians habits include having all of the women swim out to new ships topless, and they practice incest, which Rev. Hale describes as immoral. The native Hawaiians do believe in the word of God unless Rev. Hale will curse their sins toward Hell.

"Hawaii" is a long and tedious adult drama. If someone is watching this movie for the first time all the way through, they will get the idea of foreigners coming to a native world and trying to change their lifestyles. We have seen this before in modern movies like "Pocahontas" and more recently "District 9". The acting in the movie is tolerable, but it would have been better had the cast been replaced with other actors. But what really puts me off throughout the rest of the film is the pacing. At nearly three hours long, the movie moves like a tortoise race. It gets almost nowhere. If this movie has a chance of being remade for today's audience, then I would probably appreciate it better. But as it stands, "Hawaii" is a boring that I cannot tolerate watching.

There is, however, one item on the agenda that I did enjoy the movie for. And that's the location of Hawaii itself. The scenery is amazing to look at and the cinematography captures the island's presence quite well. But that's the only good thing that I can say for this film.

Overall, "Hawaii" is a jumbled mess of a movie that could have been easily improved. If a remake does happen, then I might like it better. But as it stands, this film bores me with only a few entertaining moments.
½ September 3, 2004
[color=black]The new fall season has, well, fallen and one of the first shows to fall flat lands DOA on NBC, the excrable Hawaii.[/color]
[color=#000000][/color]
[color=#000000]As tired and derivative a cop show as anything ever, Hawaii manages to be lame rip-off of bad TV from the 80s. There's no cool forensic work, no good cops just doing their job, no ripped from the headlines plots. There are, however, rogue male cops taking down drug lords while their captain yells for their badges and busty women stand by helplessly. There are both gender and ethnic stereotypes - Despite being set in Hawaii, none of the main cops are actually natives. They're all white except for the guy from E.R.[/color]
[color=#000000][/color]
[color=#000000]And the writing is atrocious. One of the cops says, "The bad guy is held up in an abandoned warehouse." Not "holed up," "held up." That's just stupid.[/color]
[color=#000000][/color]
[color=#000000]Skip Hawaii. Save your strength for lamenting the decline and fall of West Wing.[/color]