100 Rifles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

100 Rifles Reviews

January 26, 2012
Very light-hearted western. Jim Brown is not much of an actor, and Lamas overplays his role severely. The rest of the players are adequate. The story has been done numerous times and holds no surprises. Decent gunfights. Welch is scorching hot in this one. Worth a view on a very slow night.
½ July 8, 2011
Rachel Welch, Burt Reynolds, & Fernando Lamas, that right there is the reason to watch this moderately amusing Western.
April 29, 2007
This is an average to good western. I saw the first part of this movie when it came out in a little theater in Kiowa Oklahoma. We were visiting my grandmother that summer and my eleven year old sister and cousin wanted to go to the Friday night movie with the rest of the kids in Kiowa. My parents didn't want two little girls going to the movie by themselves so as the older brother they made me go with them. When we got to the theater it was like a real life scene from the Last Picture Show. My Dad asked the old man who owned the theater what the rating of the movie was and he said he didn't know. He had pushed the rating on the movie poster behind the frame so it couldn't be seen. It turned out it was rated R. However, everyone there was under 17 and the old man didn't want to lose his customers. My sister and my cousin sat up front and I sat by myself in the center of the theater. As the movie started I was starting to enjoy the movie. Raquel Welch was hot. And then they got to the hotel scene with Burt Reynolds with a naked girl. There was just enough nudity to get the R rating. After the scene was over my sister and cousin came sliding down my row and said, "Are you ready to leave?" So I had to get up and walk them back to my grandmother's house. Years later when I was in college I saw the whole movie on TV. Amazingly the nude scene was gone. I finally got to see the uncut version on DVD. I noticed the DVD was rated PG. Turns out that was the only nude scene in the whole movie. The movie is set just before the Mexican Revolution when the Mexican government tried to exterminate the Yaqui Indians. When the Revolution started the Yaqui Indians joined Pancho Villa's army. Fernando Lamas plays the evil Mexican general. The movie has a German Lieutenant character as one of the bad guys. There were German spies in Mexico during the Mexican Revolution but there is no evidence that uniformed German officers participated in the Revolution. It is a fact that the United States went to war with Germany in 1917 more because Germany tried to get Mexico to declare war on the United States than the sinking of American ships by German submarines. President Wilson had sent General Pershing into Mexico to chase Pancho Villa after he attacked Columbus New Mexico in an attempt to steal weapons. Germany sent a telegram to the Mexican government offering to aid them in a war with the United States and to help them reclaim the territory lost in the Mexican War and the Texas Revolution. The writer of this movie was alluding to the American advisors in the early days of the Vietnam War by including a German Advisor to the Mexican army. Although they wanted people to think they were making a statement about the war in Vietnam, the plot of the movie is just a chase through the desert with the Mexican army chasing the rebelling Indians with the 100 rifles Burt Reynolds character "Yaqui Joe" had purchased for them with the money he got from a bank robbery in the United States. James Brown plays an American policeman trying to arrest Burt Reynolds. Raquel Welch is the love interest for Jim Brown and has a lot of sexy scenes. There are a lot of good battle scenes but no really good lines.
August 26, 2009
Moderately entertaining. Memorable to me because it was the first movie I watched on my big screen!
February 25, 2009
Disappointing is the word I would use to describe my reaction to this film. Perhaps it was because I'd been wanting to see it for some time and had high expectations.

The direction of this film was quite terrible. The pacing was way too slow and in many scenes I felt the camera wasn't on the actor's face when it should have been in order to capture emotional moments. Moreover, the action sequences were really dull.

The only bright spot was Raquel Welch. She was lovely, as usual, but even in the infamous interracial love scene with Jim Brown there were moments when the camera went in and out of focus -- and I'm sure it wasn't for "artistic" reasons.

Even the otherwise charismatic Burt Reynolds was really under utilized here, which is indicative of the film overall.
½ January 27, 2008
Interracial Sex? First H.Wood movie to exploit it w/Gorgeous Raquel "Tejada" Welch & Big Jim "Dirty Dozen" Brown doing the deed as star-crossed lovers during the hellish times of the Mexican Revolution era, this movie has it all: Outstanding Music by genius Gerry Goldsmith so awesome it was nicked and used in another above-average western ("The Last Hard Men" w/Coburn, Heston, Rivero). Hans "Eric Braeden" Gudast and Fernando "Father of Lorenzo" Lamas turn in excellent villainous performances here, but the real heroes other than Goldsmith are the 2nd Unit, cinematographers and editors, who take max use of the beautiful panoramic vistas handed them and director Gries always shows interesting camera angles to tell the story. Tons of well-staged action ensues which shows the cruelty of the Mexican Revolutionary era without the Peckinpahish' realism. You will love the scenes regarding the Priestly dilemma with death. One of the few films of its genre that deals with the now exterminated Mexican Yaqui Indians, which are integral to the plotline. This historically accurate fiction yarn is pleasing on so many levels, yet deals with a heavy subject "lightly"...Enough good points to merit watching, and after all, it's got Rocky Welch in her prime (Hell, she still is lookin' pretty damn good these days, she ages quite well and stays in shape, probably on HGH...Just kidding!(Not! /;-)...Rugged all the way, between Burt Reynolds clowning and Brown's serious ex-10th Cavalry Pony-Soldier/Lawman persona, plus the incomparable face & awesome physique of warrior princess Rocky to drool over, you can't miss here: a definite testosterone man's type of flick, (unless you are offended by Interracial sex scenes, and this is very tame and sanitized, after all it was the first one shown in a big Hollywood production)...100 Rifles stands proudly in the "Badass MoFo" genre of hard ridin' western films, with memorable scenes, lines, visuals, and violent action. Grab a big tub of the 30 weight & salted popcorn and enjoy the ride!...
½ March 10, 2007
This film caused quite the commotion because of the inter-racial scenes between Raquel Welch & Jim Brown.
January 5, 2014
Great Spaghetti styled western from the late sixities.
½ July 14, 2013
I saw this movie when I was 18, and it was lousy then. Can't imagine it has gotten any better with time. Don't waste yours.
November 17, 2012
Good ole fashioned late 60's western
March 16, 2010
This is a somewhat underrated action film set during the Mexican Revolution with James Brown as a deputy who crosses the border to bring back Burt Reynolds for the stolen 100 rifles. Eventually Brown and Reynolds get involved in the Revolution through Raquel Welch . Brown and Reynolds play well off each other as they go up against Fernando Lamas and his Federal army. Director Tom Gries put together some great action sequences. That combined with Jerry Goldsmith's score makes for a film that really delivers. Hans Gudegast (Eric Braeden) brilliantly underplays his part as a German military advisor to Lamas. This film helped launch Burt Reynolds into stardom.
½ May 23, 2007
Rather ordinary film, Jim Brown is oddly cast. Raquel Welch does okay, Burt reynolds is easily the best in the cast. Not much effort on period detail. Uneven pacing. Some exciting scenes as well as some slow ones. Just average.