Hustle

Hustle

67%

Hustle Reviews

Richard D March 19, 2013
This one really didn't work for me. The murder investigation side of the story was good, but it's continually derailed by the scenes between Reynolds and Deneuve that do little for the film and make the whole thing feel like a vanity project for Reynolds. I like slow ... but this one seemed to just stop.
T.S.M. T.S.M. December 31, 2010
Was Bob Aldrich the most misunderstood/under-appreciated filmmaker of his time? Maybe. I was expecting stock-standard 70s cop thriller nonsense from this, and the opening reel led me to think that I was spot on, but no, it turns out it's typically un-typical Aldrich fare. You've got non-committal and detached cops essentially making a monster out of Ben Johnson, a murder victim's father, due to their callous indifference. That's great.

Then, it turns out that the cops' way of repenting for what they've done (only subconsciously, mind you), is to create a massive fiction surrounding another murder. It's a mean jab at the other cop films of the time (and later on as well), and it's refreshing at that. Great ending, too.
Stephen C. Stephen C. ½ August 4, 2010
Bleak and Underated film with neo noir feel and great performances from the whole cast.
Aldrich is an extremly underated director,who managed to survive the collaspse of the studio system and turn out key genre works in the late 60s and 70s .
This is one of his toughest genre films and Reynolds puts in a real grade A performance.