The Incubus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Incubus Reviews

½ August 19, 2007
Ridiculously over directed, but not without some really nice moments. Cinematography was unusually rich and creative.

The story is total rubbish, and everyone outside of Cassavetes is as well.
August 29, 2015
Feminist's worst nightmare. A series of brutal murders and raped have occurred in a small town. A young man is convinced that he's somehow committing these horrendous acts but something supernatural seems to be behind these murders and the town's past might contain a clue to find out the truth.

It was quite an effective horror film if you ignore the bad acting. Hough was a great director who knew how to use gore well as well as using techniques from Argento to make this supernatural slasher spine chilling.
January 19, 2008
Cassavetes had to finance his own films somehow. Call him a sellout if you will, but if acting in this film gave him the money/power/time to make "Love Streams" in 1984, I've got absolutely no complaints. That said, "The Incubus" is an ineptly scripted, poorly handled pastiche of horror/thriller clichés with some hilariously shameless expository dialogue. At least they had Schlitz at the bar and a cop named Clem. Best line: "I brought you a Coca~Cola."
May 7, 2007
[font=Times][size=4][color=#000000]1982 USA Director: John Hough[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times][size=4][color=#000000]Score: 6[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times][size=4] Often confused for the Esperanto language version film starring William Shatner, this one was made about twenty years later. I think it is miss-titled personally since in the end we learn the culprit is actually what would be considered a ?Succubus.? Oh well, nothing we can do about that right? This wasn?t a bad supernatural horror flick for its time. It sets up some eerie atmosphere and never shows us the creature?s true form until the end. The actors give us a pretty average performance. The movie soundtrack is not so good. It?s pretty distracting in some places in fact. The special effects are pretty average and get the job done. If you can find it cheap, give it a look.[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times][size=4][color=#000000] [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times][size=4][color=#000000]Notes: GV-HL-FN-SV Suggested Age: 16+[/color][/size][/font]
January 16, 2016
One heck of an underrated horror movie. I like this film because it accurate over what an incubus is like. Pretty much n every. although I wish it would have died at the end but that's not enough to get me to dislike this movie. The poster is also awesome as well. If you're looing for a good and suspenseful horror film I'd definitely recommend this.
½ January 8, 2016
New town doctor ties local teen to murder and rape through an incubus and exposes the teen family's dark secret past. Decent film with good cast. Was surprised to see Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson with former band Samson in video footage at the theatre.
August 29, 2015

March 27, 2015
That's a lot of sperm John
½ March 20, 2015
Doctor investigates a series of bizarre slaying and rapes in a small Wisconsin town that ties to the supernatural. Builds anticipation to conclusion before reaching an unsatisfying finish. Presence of Harvey Atkin confirms this as a Canadian film with Cassavetes on board in another non-conformist role. Theatre interlude highlighted by video from Canadian band FM from their album City of Fear.
½ January 25, 2015
Everytime you trash a John Cassavetes film, just remember that he was forced to make shit like this in order to finance those films by him that you don't like.
February 11, 2012
Very creepy, an unsettling ambiance. To all of u moronic critics who compare all films, regardless of budget, on the same merits. Wake up!!
October 15, 2012
Why Demons always be raping white folks?
½ August 19, 2012
Other than a few instances of notable directing and scoring this was a rather pedestrian horror.
September 20, 2011
A bit mixed, but ultimately quite an interesting slasher curio. Quite violent, although the violence is more suggested than actually witnessed or when it is you only see it from the facial expression of the victim. Overall quite unsettling - rather like much of the acting.
August 18, 2011
I'm very surprised by the average low rating on this movie. The Incubus in an original horror film, with great (tasteful) effects and my only complaint is that I hadn't seen it sooner.
½ June 4, 2011
Some weird acting moments from Cassavetes in this film.
½ July 11, 2010
What on earth was Cassevetes thinking when he agreed to be in this? The rape in the museum is unintentionally funny but apart from that nothing much happens until the last half-hour. No great denoument, and the explanation in the final 10 minutes is an unsatisfying face-palm.
April 24, 2010