Intruder

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Intruder Reviews

Anthony L

October 11, 2013
Scott Spiegel is from the Raimi and Coen gang, obviously not as successful but in many ways he's just as talented behind the camera. Honestly, some of his compositions are amazing - I thought the same thing when I first saw Dusk till Dawn 2. The structure of Intruder is perfect, the story, gore, setting, everything, is just right for the genres. Somebody please give the man a bigger budget and let him do his thing! Classic horror films, this is a must!
Ken S

May 20, 2007
If you've seen damn near every slasher movie, Intruder is a pleasantly solid entry in the genre. GREAT gore and kills.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

January 4, 2012
Scott Spiegel's Intruder is one of the 1980's last great Slasher flick that came out at the end of the decade. While many Slasher franchises were recycling ideas, and many countless ripoffs were filmed, Intruder is one of the better of the bunch. Of all the slashers that in the last years of the 80's, Intruder has got to be the most original, the most grotesque and overall the best of the decades most popular genre of horror. Intruder was directed by Scott Spiegel who previously worked with Sam Raimi on Evil Dead 2. Like I previously stated, Intruder is a great slasher film, and is one of final slasher greats of the 80's. The film boasts some very impressive kills scenes with plenty of blood and gore to appeal to the most die hard Slasher film fan. The key aspect of the film is the special effects, I personally think that these are some of the best special effects I've seen in a slasher film in quite some time. Like I said, the kills are great and will definitely appeal Slasher fans. There's also a good mix of suspense and humor in the films plot, and Scott Spiegel has crafted a solid Slasher film. Intruder is a fine Slasher film that signaled the end of 1980's slashers. The film is great, and if you've seen the countless early 80's Slashers, and want something refreshing, then this is a great film to watch. This is a definite Slasher classic that is a must see for every horror fan, and with great gore effects, and awesome kills; it really makes Intruder a film that separates itself from most Slashers. This film is an awesome experience for horror fans.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

December 28, 2011
I was actually quite surprised by how well-made Intruder turned out to be when I finally got around to watching it. In the back of my mind, I pictured a grainy 16mm movie with hardly any real actors, lots of gore and great ethusiasm. That's actually a nearly perfect description for the film (minus the 16mm part), but the difference is that these people know what they're doing. There's some great visual gags and moments, as well as a very nice score that's put to effective us. The gore and special effects are wonderful, courtesy of the KNB guys (before KNB was established). In particular, the band saw scene, which is the strongest effect in the entire film. The acting isn't amazing or anything, but it works in the context of what it is. I think it's rather original to set a horror movie entirely in a grocery store for the length of the film. I can't say whether or not that's a first, but it works well. There are several things about the movie that don't make sense, as there are plot holes abound, but it's effective nonetheless. Definitely a great slasher movie.
Beefy
Beefy

December 20, 2011
Worth watching for completists and rabid fans of the Raimi brothers and Bruce Campbell, but ultimately it's nothing special.
WrenchLT
WrenchLT

February 28, 2011
A good fun slasher all set in a supermarket where the night staff end up getting butchered by a maniac. It's limited in what it has to offer but it serves up a good piece of entertainment for fans of the slash 'em up. The kills are gory and bloody and frequent after having to wait 35 minutes for the first one to occur. It's not one that takes itself too seriously either with the cheesy acting and goofy characters all providing the odd laugh along with some quirky camera angles. All in all a good late nights viewing.
Cory T

October 16, 2011
This may be the first example of a product-placement horror films where all the brand names are displayed front and center. As for the film itself, it's a pretty pedestrian slasher movie that is only notable for the ostentatiously gory dismemberment by KNB. The whodunit aspect is strictly 'Scooby Doo' cheesiness with the villain overacting to a cartoonish degree after he is unveiled. Writer-director Spiegel was a frequent collaborator with the Raimi brothers and they are present in the film as well. In fact, most of the convex, off-kilter cinematography is directly pilfered from Sam Raimi (ex. Inside-the-cart shot and through the murky glass of a whiskey bottle). What begins as suitably spooky quickly devolves into a homogenized stalking-killer flick with eye-gouging and skull compacting.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

March 10, 2011
This film came out in 1989, and though most drive-in's were closed by then the ending scene is excellent for the drive in screen. Another late eighties slasher film, that had the titles final checkout, and night crew, besides Intruder. A crazy old boyfriend shows up at a store, the cashier , beautiful Elizabeth Cox ( Who had such a short career) broke up with over a year ago, he has been in prison for past year. He is thrown out of the store, and after closing people start dying. But is the boyfriend the killer. Didn't take me long to figure this one out. As good as any slasher film from that time period. But is full of mistakes, like music cuts and spliced in changing scenes. Beyond Infinity Productions didn't spend much on this one, but still its an enjoyable slasher film fest weekend film. 3 1/2 stars
Cassandra M

April 6, 2008
Right at the end of the 80's, a horror decade ruled by violent slashers, comes one of the coolest independent productions ever unleashed upon us, gorehounds: Scott Spiegel's "Intruder". It looks like the most basic and primitive slasher ever made (the story can be summarized in one phrase, namely, a group of supermarket employees are all brutally murdered by an unidentified maniac) but if you observe "Intruder" more closely, you'll find plenty of peculiar aspects that proves that this film definitely outshines the majority of late 80's horror films. First and foremost, the names involved in the production. Sam Raimi (by then very famous already for his "Evil Dead" films) and Lawrence Bender helped realizing "Intruder" and, even though the budget possibilities were still very limited, their presence is an added value. Secondly, there's the truly ingenious camera-work! The film takes entirely place in a familiar setting ? a local supermarket like every town has one ? but all the different and innovating camera angles add an unexpected amount creativity and playfulness. But the obvious element to love is, of course, the very high level of nasty and unhinged gore. One by one, all the cast members are killed in the most repulsive ways imaginable, using typical supermarket-attributes like meat hooks and garbage chutes. The murders are graphically shown, so this film isn't for the faint-hearted, but there's also a large amount of pitch-black humour to enjoy, as well as shockingly unhappy ending! "Intruder" is a must-see for all you sick puppies out there, just make sure you purchase an uncut version!!
thefog1331
thefog1331

July 12, 2007
Not much on plot but who cares? The film has great cinematography as well as some nasty gore effects.
Francisco  G.
Francisco G.

November 16, 2013
A very bloody and gory slasher with amazing dry jokes and super fun mood right until the end, plagued by severe logic actions and over the top acting.
Sylvester K

July 19, 2011
One of the best slasher films that defined the 80s
John2223
John2223

August 7, 2007
Gory, fun, and entertaining low budget slasher with come stylish direction and cool death scenes.
A must see for slasher/horror fans.
Christopher B

February 17, 2007
Gory fun. One of my favourite slasher flicks with some great P.O.V. shots before that was all Spiegel did. Great kills, fun story and funny characters, bloody KNB effects, with the Raimis and Campbell popping up to add to it's awesomeness. Don't be scared off by the Full Moon release, this film has nothing to do with Charles Band, but has everything to do with kicking ass.
January 5, 2014
This 80's slasher movie is quite inventive. Some of the old-school physical gore effects were great and some just did not stand up.
October 10, 2013
Both Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi appear in this low budget slasher flick. It takes place after closing at a supermarket while the crew is stocking and cleaning up. Some cool camera angles ala Evil Dead (well, Ted Raimi, Scott Spiegel and Danny Hicks were also part of this one).
January 24, 2012
This film is one of those notorious films that I've always heard about in association with the Evil Dead films, and having finally checked it out I can say I was amused by the gore, as well as how much you can see the style that was passed around between Raimi and hos cronies, as the camera hits so many POV shots that it becomes slightly distracting, which I found a bit off-putting to be perfectly honest.

I am happy to have seen this one finally, as it has a certain earnestness of the time that I can appreciate, which made the camera work slightly less distracting, so it's a fun little watch.

Worth a look, give it a rental.
letshaveadisco
November 30, 2010
Fun, low-budget 80's slasher flick from Scott Spiegal. Not much of a plot, but the gore effects/cinematography are top notch. Sam Raimi, Ted Raimi, and Bruce Campbell also have small cameo roles.
April 29, 2010
Great. Makes me want to pick up a camera and make movies again. Lots of fun with angles and simple filmmaking techniques. Almost reminds me of a sort of precursor to the Final Destination movies.
annubis44
October 21, 2009
One of the most fun and gory slasher films of the 80's comes right at the end of the decade thanks to director Scott Spiegel and Producer Lawrence Bender. On display here are the talents of a fledgling KNB in the form of amazing gore effects. The fact that Danny Hicks from Evil Dead 2, Sam Raimi and Ted Raimi are in the flick (along with cameo from Bruce Campbell) certainly helps the humor element. One of my favorite B flicks of all time.