Jack and the Beanstalk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jack and the Beanstalk Reviews

February 7, 2011
Weird, but not in a good way. I guess I'm just not a fan of Abbott and Costello humor.
July 23, 2008
Bits of brilliant comedy, combined with moments of supremely bad special effects and embarrassingly unfunny jokes.
½ June 5, 2013
A clever and funny spoof of the Wizard of Oz. Takes the same transition from black and white to color. True it isn't perfect, still you got to admire the duo's choice in making this film. A&C are as always the best, funny gags, interesting plot points, and a great cast makes it all worth while.
April 14, 2013
The tale of Jack and the Beanstalk told through the comedic genius of Bud Abbott and Lou Costello. Costello gets a babysitting job and while telling the fable to his charge, falls asleep and dreams that he is Jack. The movie is pretty faithful to the fable. Abbott plays a shady butcher who buys the family cow from Jack for a few magic beans. Costello/Jack plants them and the next day he climbs the beanstalk to retrieve the golden goose from the Giant. Along the way he encounters the Prince and Princess who were imprisoned by the Giant and the cast engages in a number of musical comedy numbers. There are also the typical Abbott and Costello slapstick routines.

People who are familiar with the other Abbott and Costello movies and their television show will find this movie familiar. While it is not their best work -- this does not come close to some of their Abbott and Costello Meet movies -- unless you are not a fan of slapstick comedy, you will not be disappointed.
½ December 28, 2009
based on the fairy tales which in another starring bud abbott and lou costello in public domain movie with "jack and the beanstalk" version (one with costello became named jack of his role) and there both black and white / color it like movie "the wizard of oz" (1939). there also funniest performance by bud abbott and lou costello with buddy baer as the giant from the beanstalk scene. i like one of rest of the whole movie except i like one with sword fight and chasing with the giant scene and one thing that my least favorite with make-up cow that very disgusting one. "africa screams" (1949) is so much better funny movie with bud abbott and lou costello than this one.
October 25, 2010
Jack And The Beanstalk is one of many versions of this classic fairy tale. It may not be Abbot and Costello's best film, but its still an entertaining movie. There are some good parts and some funny parts and some good songs in this movie as well. Overall, this is a funny, entertaining, and musical film for all lovers of comedy.
October 3, 2009
Probably my least favorite of their feature films. There are some good parts. There are some funny parts but these two guys are wasted on this film. I had to give it 60% because it was Abbott and Costello but it is not something I watch often even though I own a copy of it.
November 16, 2008
This is an ok movie with Abbott and Costello...the fun of it is I liked it as a kid and it was nice watching the story unfold.
June 17, 2008
Enjoy the musical portions of the film as Lou Costello does a touch of singing and dancing. The comedy of Abbott and Costello never gets old and this movie will have everyone laughing.
March 21, 2008
5.5/10. Not one of Abbott and Costello's best, but it is still entertaining. This one is aimed more at kids than most of their movies. Nice color cinematography. Forgettable songs.
October 10, 2015
It's incredibly stupid. But for some reason, I'm giving it a fresh rating.
½ June 5, 2013
April 14, 2013

½ February 20, 2013
Jack and the Beanstalk a rare treat--Vintage Abbott and Costello!!
½ December 28, 2012
one of 2 comedies this kid's pic for WB.
April 19, 2012
It may not be the best of the Abbott and Costello movies, or out of movies in general, but it's pretty much my favorite film. I like the main theme that goes though the movie, "Have courage. Fear nothing when you're in the right!"
March 23, 2012
An absolutely hilarious and kid friendly version of the timeless tale.
February 5, 2012
An absolutely hilarious and kid friendly version of the timeless tale.
½ December 28, 2009