King Solomon's Mines Reviews

½ May 4, 2007
It's no Scaramouche, but it will do if you're in need of a Stewart Granger fix.
½ December 10, 2008
Enjoyable adventure film with alot of on location filming that looks great.I've seen the Richard Chamberlain version from the '80's, which was hokey and just a cheap version of Raiders Of The Lost Ark. I was expecting this film to be a bit of the same, but I was shocked that it is just a safari story. It has more emphasis on exploration,interaction with wild animals and tribes than adventure and booby traps. The Mines are shown in the last 15 minutes and there is hardly any attention given to their discovery, which does make for a odd ending. Granger is charming, tough, and really carries the movie that made him a star.
½ July 28, 2014
Allan Quatermain takes us on an adventurous expedition through Africa. At times the story could use more excitement, but the cinematography was impressive. I enjoyed the spectacular footage of the African land and wildlife. (First and only viewing - 8/18/2014)
March 23, 2006
I was really expecting to hate this movie, but it was surprisingly funny, full of action, and I loved it! The African dance scene is great.
½ March 26, 2014
I saw this movie today on TCM. It was really peculiar because Frankie Avalon was in it and that could not possibly be. I looked in the credits for the character named Brian and there was none. Then immediately following this movie was 'Drums of Africa'with Frankie Avalon. They had taken scenes from the 1950 version and incorporated it into 'Drums'. I understand this but why is Avalon in the 1950's version? HELP BTW. Deborah Kerr was stunning.
August 16, 2013
In the times in which nature and drama used to be appealing, romantic adventures like this were made. It is an authentic production matchless to any other adventure film beacause of its romantic adventurous aspects and its faultless array. Each scene is so well narrated and the romance perfectly treated, sometimes this powerful human drama goes from a Hollywood production to an amazing documentary. 100% perfect!
February 16, 2013
An amazing film, and I'm 12. I'm so proud to be related to Compton Bennett.
June 25, 2012
Monday, June 25, 2012

(1950) King Solomon's Mines
ADVENTURE

Most realistic portrayl of Allan Quatermain whose been turned into an mythical "Indiana Jones" type of figure in the 1980's starring Richard Chamberline ever since the success of "Raiders Of The Lost Ark". Anyways, actor Stewart Granger as Quartermain an Englishman whose lived in Africa most of his life, a hired guide through the jungles of Africa aiding Elizabeth Curtis played by the ravishing Deborah Kerr in search of her archeologist husband who was pronounced missing. The chemistry and the arising sexual tension between Kerr and Granger are the main highlights here, with interesting tidbits about African natives as well including it's culture is just as entertaining as "The Naked Prey" and "Trader Horn" to name a few.

WARNING: Don't expect this film to be another Indiana Jones type of film, first by considering the time it was made and second by it's synopsis.

3 out of 4
½ November 10, 2012
The wife (Deborah Kerr) of an explorer travels to Africa in search of her missing husband. When she arrives, she is met by a guide (Stewart Granger), also an ambitious explorer and they follow the trail they believe the husband took during his trek. Unfortunately, it is an intense and unsettling ride for the two individuals, who eventual develop a romance between one another. Has nice production values and great scenery, especially the animals, but it was not a great film for me by any means. It lacked power in terms of both drama and chemistry and the film, by today's standards, does not stick in the memory box for me. It is an okay saga of exploration.
½ January 27, 2008
KING SOLOMON'S MINES (1950)
April 11, 2010
I used to watch this movie a lot as a kid.
½ October 11, 2008
On paper, this could have been a great film. But it's not.

At the turn of the nineteenth century, wealthy Irish woman Beth Curtis (Deborak Kerr) hires rugged African hunter and guide Allan Quatermain (Stewart Granger) to help her go into unexplored regions to find her husband, who disappeared years ago while searching for King Solomon's Mines, a legendary diamond mine hidden deep in the African continent. Quatermain resists at first, thinking the young lady is looking more for proof that her husband is dead to collect her inheritance than for him, but she bribes him with enough money to care for Quatermain's young son, who currently lives in a boarding school in England. Quatermain takes the case and would normally be off on a wild adventure, except that Bennett and Marton direct this movie like a travelogue with a story thrown in rather than a rollicking adventure. So wasted is this potential that decades later, the next remake of this film is a B competitor to [u]Raiders of the Lost Ark[/u] (Steven Spielberg, 1981), as Quatermain is one of the inspiration for Lucas and Spielberg's own Indiana Jones. But this particular version is slow, plodding, and ultimately frustrating.

Again, the irony is that if you took the story outline for this movie, all of the pieces are there - there are animal attacks, fights with natives, buried treasure, uneasy romance, bickering between a male and female character, and exotic locales. Honestly, if a modern director took this script, and didn't even change the dialogue, it would probably still work. The difference, however, is that they would put in music cues and spice up the action, and that level is what makes this movie most interesting: one truly gets an appreciation for modern action filmmaking by comparing it to what could have been with this movie, were it made today (or admittedly, if Hitchock or Howard Hawks had directed it even back then). Instead, what you get is a lot of great visual depiction of Africa, some insight into native customs, a few bad to mediocre action scenes, and an ultimate feeling of boredom and dissatisfaction. I have a lot of appreciation for what the filmmakers were able to obtain with this film in terms of the cooperation of the tribes of Africa and great nature photography. But a fiction film is a fiction film, and as an audience pleaser, this one is not.
May 9, 2007
This colorful outdoor story is great entertainment and has excellent work by stars Stewart Granger and Deborah Kerr. A safari is organized to find woman's missing husband, and the search takes the party to distant province where a diamond mine is believed to be located. The safari braves several dangers from wild animals and savage tribesmen and happens upon Watusi prince whose power and royal palace in the tribe have been usurped by an evil king. Granger's Mr. Quartermain and Kerr's Mrs. Curtis spend a great deal of time quarreling but their antagonism turns to romance. The film captures the beautiful vistas of several African countries and has many scenes of exotic animals in their natural habitats. This picture doesn't have musical score but does have instead the drums and chants of the African tribesmen that provide an excellent accompaniment to this wonderful adventure.