Let's Dance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Let's Dance Reviews

jjnxn
½ August 6, 2007
Silly bit of nonsense put over by the talented team of Fred Astaire and Betty Hutton. Their styles aren't seamlessly matched as was the case with Astaire and Ginger Rogers but they are still a breezy pair. The film is also helped by having a strong supporting cast with pros Lucile Watson, Ruth Warrick and Roland Young adding nice touches throughout.
May 11, 2013
I Love Fred Astaire.....hes the best dancer
½ April 23, 2013
Fred Astaire had one of the most charismatic screen presences in history, and lights up every frame he's in. Betty Hutton...not so much. She's not bad, in fact she's often pretty funny, but this much mugging while singing should be made illegal outside of elderly Italian Bassos. You never know what you're going to get with Hutton, genuine comedy and a beautiful, brassy voice, or an obnoxious overactor. The films weakest sequences are those that focus on the...well, the plot. The kid at the center of the plot (Gregory Moffett) is incredibly cloying, and whenever Hutton has to play doting mother rather than daffy heroine, she goes as earnest and as one-note as a Victorian melodrama. This leads to long, interminable arguments over the kid, which leads to long, aggravating "misunderstanding" plot line-about halfway through the film. If this were a straight film, it would be awful...but luckily for all involved, it's a musical.

Thank the powers that be that every 15 minutes or so, Fred Astaire does a dance step. The songs, by Frank Loesser, may be mostly forgettable, but the choreography is always stellar. Even a random number with Astaire and Hutton dressed as cowboys, which is completely out of nowhere even by movie musical standards, is redeemed by some terrific footwork. The opening song, Hutton's lighting-fast patter "I can't stop talking about him" was one of my favorite things long before I saw the film. Hutton's mugging only makes the character number more fun, and then Astaire joins in for a rousing dance finale that gets the film started on a high note. Despite my feelings for the film in general, I don't think I'll ever forget Astaire's jaw-dropping "Piano Dance." Other dancers may dance on top of a piano; Fred Astaire dances IN it.
So, is it a good film? No. It's uneven, poorly paced, often stupid and goes completely off the rails in the last 30 minutes. But anytime Astaire so much as turns an ankle the right way, I'm smiling like a fool. Sometimes, when a bad movie stars Fred Astaire, it's not a bad movie.
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
jjnxn
½ August 6, 2007
½ February 16, 2011
Dull musical with a couple of good dance sequences but no chemistry at all between Hutton and Astaire. This was an obvious filler for both who were between making much better films that year and the year following. Choreography by Hermes Pan is very variable...best sequence is where Astaire dances with a grand piano.
September 22, 2008
Not bad. Hutton has her usual exuberance (which can be overbearing) and is kept in check by Astaire's classiness.
½ August 23, 2008
Betty Hutton was a very energetic and funny actress. I really enjoy her movies and this was one of the best .Fred Astaire is also one of my favorites.
January 22, 2008
I Love Fred Astaire.....hes the best dancer
½ June 7, 2007
A great Astaire movie with some great dancing as usual. This time he dances 'wih' and on a piano!!!
Although it was a good movie, I was a little annoyed by what seemed to be overacting by Betty Hutton.
½ September 8, 2007
Gotta love Fred Astaire
August 19, 2007
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
½ January 17, 2007
I love dancing, and he was awesome in this...makes me want to dance!