Lock Up Reviews

June 18, 2010
If you ever wondered what Shawshank Redemption wouldâ??ve been like in the 80s, this is exactly it. Sylvester Stallone always delivers the action and heart, always making his movies watchable and admirable. This isnâ??t overly intelligent or complex, but it wasnâ??t meant to. Itâ??s a simple story of a man wrongfully convicted and constantly tested, you just canâ??t avoid feeling compassion for him. Itâ??s extremely goofy at times and almost ridiculous, but any Sly fan will find themselves happy.
November 23, 2009
Sylvester Stallone gives one of the greatest performances of his career, showing he is not an action hero but an actor and what a hell of an unforgettable performance. Donald Sutherland is brilliant, giving an intense and great peroformance. A powerful and excellent film. It's moving, thrilling, stunning and truly exhilerating. A riveting prison drama that is truly remarkable and outstanding.
½ November 13, 2009
A great slice of egocentric 80's action. Things I like: Jon Amos in mirrored glasses, Frank McRae being a lovable hardass, blink-and-you-miss-it Danny Trejo scene. Things I dont like: The rest. Dumb but fun.
½ August 18, 2009
Have to say right off that I can't believe the low rating for this one here because it delivers everything that a Stallone fan would want, if one is loading this into the player then surely they know what to expect !.

Frank Leone only has a few weeks to go before being released from prison, he is no hard core offender, he is a loving man and is ready for a new life with his gorgeous girlfriend Melissa. During the night he is whisked away to a maximum security prison on the orders of a sadistic warden out for revenge because Leone was the only man to have ever escaped from his prison, and thus put a blemish on his record.

We then follow Leone as he is pushed to the limits by crazy warden Drumgoole and all the sadistic guards under his command. He also enlists the help of resident inmate beefcake Chink Weber, and they all in turn try to break Leone at all costs to see that he never leaves prison again. There certainly is nothing here that hasn't been done before in the prison film genre, and only an idiot would expect anything other than the ending we get, but this is a Stallone movie and it's full of guts, testo macho action, and it should be noted that Sly here puts some depth to the character of Leone, he garners our sympathy quite quickly, and considering the bloke is built like the proverbial brick outhouse, it's quite an achievement.

The supporting players are a mixed bunch, this is Tom Sizemore's first motion picture and he does really well with the character of Dallas, Sonny Landham is his usual scary menacing self as Chink Weber, whilst Frank McRae as Eclipse does just enough right to leave his mark. So it's something of a surprise to me that the best actor on show is actually the films weak link, Donald Sutherland as Drumgoole does overplay it to the point that he goes beyond pantomime villain, it's a real teeth itching performance that he would only outdo with Virus 10 years later, but in a film with such primal fun intentions, it has to be considered perfect.

No awards here for sure, but when I watch a film about a man played by Sly Stallone in prison then I think I know what to expect, and it delivers all that I hoped for, hooray for the beefcake
arashxak
May 24, 2009
It seems that I can't stop wasting my time over these awful movies
February 16, 2008
A cliched, instantly forgettable prison movie, which affords Stallone ample opportunity to indulge his twin weaknesses: masochism and sentimentality. It's all very predictable, so as soon as Donald Sutherland's sadistic warden shows Sly his reconditioned electric chair, you know one or the other of them will be sitting in it before the end of the movie. Similarly, once Stallone takes green lifer Larry Romano under his wing, the kid's days are clearly numbered. Ramano's demise brings an untimely end to the most interesting aspect of the film: his tussle with Tom Sizemore for the honour of 'Most Irritating Performance in a Supporting Role'. Those reviewers who describe Sutherland's performance as 'over-the-top'--no pun intended, Stallone fans--have obviously yet to experience his extraordinary slice of ham in Bertolucci's "1900", in comparison with which he's positively understated here. Chances are, you'll soon wish you were watching "Escape from Alcatraz" instead.
August 30, 2007
Good one! Very good, Enjoyed it very much ^_^
July 14, 2007
Sylvester Stallone seems ripe for a prison movie. There's a great football game in the mud. I enjoyed the scene where Donald Sutherland is depriving Stallone of sleep by turning on lights and sounds. The dialogue in this flick is fairly good.
April 15, 2007
Rocky goes to jail.
deano
February 1, 2007
Sylvester Stallone delivers his best work in this rough, tough prison movie.
garyX
January 2, 2007
Sylvester Stallone ego trip that contains every cheeseball prison movie cliche in existence. Hysterical melodramatic rubbish.
May 9, 2008
This is a terrific movie, pure entertainment. The best acting is not Sylvester Stallone's but that of Donald Sutherland's portrayal of the sadistic and bloodthirsty prison warden. But the screenplay was bad.
½ August 5, 2009
One of my all time favorite Stallone flicks
DrLappos
August 27, 2007
Dont listen to the official write up, this was a good film with some typically steely acting from all involved.
December 29, 2010
Normally I don't see a movie about prison and say, "Man, I really wanna see that movie." I mean, Prison Break was a good show and all, but not enough for me to really change my mind about "hard time". It's not like they were even in prison all that much in the show anyways. But this was something different.
About 90% of the movie was actually in the prison, meaning it was supposed to be darker, but what was with all that piano music??? I guess they were trying to keep the storyline tied to him trying to get out to see his girlfriend, but it sure messes with your head to hear the piano being played in a prison movie.
Still, it was a good movie. Solid Stallone.
February 12, 2010
prison is a ride to hell just in time for the expendables I have to decided today to watch lock up (1989) which lock up tells the story of a mechanic named frank leone one day an evil warden craving for revenge for senting him to jail sends him to the worst journey to hell prison which frank was wrongfully accussed lock up is like a mixture of rocky and prison lock up is a great standard but fun action film the film isnt violent but still is good but during while frank is in jail he makes some friends and some enemies which some killings caused by the warden which the warden blames it on frank but frank was never a part of anything a great action film must see hidden gem and Highly recommended for any action fan lock up has a great script co written by jeb staurt writter of the bruce willis action film called die hard (1988) highly recommended.
LOCK UP
starring:sylvester stallone (rocky 1 2 3 4 5 rocky balboa director of the expendables and many other films) donald sutherland (fallen The puppet master's invasion of the body snatchers (1978) and M.A.S.H the movie) john amos sony ladham tom sizemore (stephen king's dreamcatcher and Passenger 57) frank mcrae darlen fluegel william allen young and larry romano
release date:august 4th 1989
directed by john flynn
film's rating: R for vioence brutal fights bloody violent images and language
when the film had opened in august 4th 1989 the film opening week got #6 because of the steve martin dromedy about family parenthood beat it and also came out the same weekeend.
February 13, 2009
One of my all time Sly vavs. This is one of those movies that you sit there and say what else could they possibly do to him. Donald Suterland is great as the nasty warden.
½ November 23, 2008
Really I don't see anything wrong with this movie. I would even go so far as to say I love this film. OK so it does not break any new ground, but it did eveything so well. I love the acting. Stallone is perfect as himself witch works great for this film. This is my third fav. prison film right after Shawshank and Animal Factory.
July 31, 2006
first movie where I discovered sylvester stallone

sylevester stallone is awesome!
October 22, 2007
I Love this movie too Stallone really know's how to put a plot together!! he did an awsome script here too