The Magnificent Seven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Magnificent Seven Reviews

February 1, 2016
Yul Brynner leads an all star cast as seven gunman are hired to defend a tiny farming villages from los banditos locos. There's no money to be had while facing impossible odds, so why do it? Why risk your life? The film gives us reason to care about the answer in what many consider one of the great Westerns.
October 17, 2015
An entertaining Western remake of Kurosawa's samurai classic and, like that film, more concerned with developing its characters and letting them grown on us instead of just focusing on the battle, while the great cast and Bernstein's score make it epic and unforgettable.
garyX
October 21, 2006
Based on a story by Akira Kurosawa, starring Yul Brinner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Robert Vaughn and Eli Wallach, directed by John (The Gunfight At The OK Corral/The Great Escape) Sturges and accompanied by one of the best musical scores ever written, and you have the ingredients for possibly the perfect old school western. Poor old Horst Buchholz didn't stand much of a chance up against an ensemble cast of this quality, but he makes a decent fist of a character who is essentially an amalgam of two characters from Seven Samurai, which makes way for Vaughn's gunslinger who has lost his nerve and slots seamlessly into the action. It does take a more popular culture slant on the original's more arthouse sensibilities, but it works perfectly. Brinner and McQueen make a brilliant double act and it even adds a more upbeat ending without failing to retain the spirit of the source material. One of the very few examples of a remake that is almost as worthwhile as the original.
hunterjt13
½ September 25, 2013
This is the Western version of The Seven Samurai; if you don't know the plot of The Seven Samurai, see that film instead.
Because the source material is so good and with the talents of Yul Brynner (wow: even Daniel Day-Lewis gets chills at that stare) and Steve McQueen, it's difficult that any director could screw this film up. The story is elementally compelling, and the action sequences are well-choreographed. The only issue that Kurosawa did not have to contend with that makes The Magnificent Seven problematic is race. In the Western version of the story, the seven gunfighters are white coming in to save Mexican villagers from being terrorized by Mexican bandits. In this way the film deploys the Hollywood trope of the "great white savior," and this added dimension gives the film a difficulty that it didn't face in the original.
Overall, this is an excellent film, but nothing beats the original.
TheDudeLebowski65
December 5, 2012
The Magnificent Seven is similar to the classic 1954 Japanese film Seven Samurai directed by the great Akira Kurosawa. I really enjoyed this one, but I found that it lacked something to really make it memorable and special. The cast is great and there are plenty of standout performances, and it is cool to see so many iconic Hollywood tough guys in one movie. However, this one could have been much better and it tends to rely way too much on Seven Samurai for its ideas. Each actor has made better films, but as an Americanized version of the 1954 classic, this film is a bit disappointing. I much preferred Seven Samurai than this. However this one has plenty of good moments and action, but like I said, it lacks a little extra. There are far better Westerns out there and the film would be a good addition to the genre, but Sergio Leone would deliver the greatest, most epic Westerns ever made. As it stands, this is an entertaining film that delivers something good for the viewer, but you're left wanting more out of this one. The direction, pacing and acting are good for what they are. This is enjoyable and if you enjoy Westerns, you may love it. However if you're going to watch one film, make it Seven Samurai due to the fact that it inspired this film, and it had a broader, more epic scope than this one. There are plenty of gun fights here to appeal to the viewer, but you can see the film's weaknesses in its writing and lack of truly original ideas. A must see though for genre fans despite it being an imperfect film.
June 15, 2006
Shocking, that one of the great, classic Western films is actually a remake of Kurosawa's Samurai film. That doesn't take anything away from this humorous, tragic, enthralling gunslinger drama, where men are still men and women need protection. In this case it's a whole village that finds a bunch of heroes to fight back against regularly invading bandits. Great characters you love to cheer for, shootouts, a fantastic soundtrack. This film leaves little to desire and is re-watchable over and over.
deano
½ March 29, 2007
A brilliant classic, beautifully shot and acted. Japanese director Akira Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai served as the inspiration for this enjoyable Western, directed by John Sturges. Much is made here of the difference between fighting for money, fighting for justice, or fighting for a future.
Yul Brynner is solid in the lead role. Brynner, Steve McQueen and James Coburn define the word cool as they go about their various exploits before and after they join forces. McQueen and Coburn are men of few words, but of fierce action when necessary. Charles Bronson does his best with a pretty mushy storyline involving the youth of the village. Horst Buchholz overacts feverishly as a determined, but inexperienced youth. Vaughn seems a tad out of place and has one major ham moment during a nightmare.
October 11, 2006
Vin: You know the first time I took a job as a hired gun, fellow told me, "Vin, you can't afford to care." There's your problem.
Chris: One thing I don't need is somebody telling me my problem.
Vin: Like I said before, that's your problem. You got involved in this village and the people in it.
Chris: Do you ever get tired of hearing yourself talk?

A solid Western remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. It takes, for its time, a big name cast and put them all together for a movie about codes of honor, reflection, as well as gunfights and macho coolness. Strong chemistry from within the cast, some solid gunplay, and a good amount of fun.

A bandit, played by Eli Wallach, terrorizes a small Mexican farming village each year. Several of the village elders send three of the farmers into the United States to search for gunmen to defend them. They end up with seven, each of whom comes for a different reason. They must prepare the town to repulse an army of over 100 bandits who will arrive wanting food.

The seven includes: Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, James Coburn, Brad Dexter, Charles Bronson, and a new kid who really wants to be a good cowboy.

The film does a good job at taking on the challenge of competing with a film as legendary as Seven Samurai and making it its own. While it follows most of the same beats, this is still a good western take on that story.

It helps that the cast is great. Brynner and McQueen fighting for lead status. James Coburn being incredibly cool. And particular notice from me goes to Charles Bronson, who is really effective at imbuing his character with pathos.

As this is a Hollywood western, there's no Ennio Morricone to be found this time around, but the legendary score by Elmer Bernstein is more than enough to satisfy me. It all goes really well with a lot of very good filmmaking at play here.

Great film all around.

Calvera: What I don't understand is why a man like you took the job in the first place, hmm? Why, huh?
Chris: I wonder myself.
Calvera: No, come on, come on, tell me why.
Vin: It's like a fellow I once knew in El Paso. One day, he just took all his clothes off and jumped in a mess of cactus. I asked him that same question, "Why?"
Calvera: And?
Vin: He said, "It seemed to be a good idea at the time."
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
April 29, 2010
"They were seven - And they fought like seven hundred!"

An oppressed Mexican peasant village assembles seven gunfighters to help defend their homes.

REVIEW
You cannot consider "The Magnficent Seven" to be an entirely original production on account of the fact that it's simply a remake of Akira Kurosawa's epic "Seven Samurai" just set in 19th century North America. But you cannot consider it to be a rip-off either, for it is it's own film in its own right. Yul Brynner was definitely not the first choice of any Western film producer, and in this case, he was a very unique choice for the leading role. This does not make him ill-suited for the part, though. He's cast along with other famous names such as Steve McQueen, Eli Wallach, Charles Bronson, and James Coburn. "The Magnificent Seven" is also noteworthy for its unusually intense, and sometimes bloody, battle sequences. All Westerns feature gunfights to some degree, but "Seven" has fights that are grittier, more unpredictable, and more violent. And they still hold out well today as entertaining to state the very least.
June 18, 2008
Gripping epic western of mercenaries hired for protection by a Mexican village terrorized by a gang of outlaws. Despite being "merely" a remake of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai and borrowing themes from the westerns of John Ford, this action film remains one of the most riveting of all time. Director John Sturges has a remarkable rapport with his actors. Indeed he would successfully reteam with Steve McQueen, James Coburn and Charles Bronson 3 years later in The Great Escape. Creative casting also includes Yul Brynner off his success in The King and I and Jewish actor Eli Wallach as Mexican bandit, Calvera. This brilliant ensemble cast highlight a perfectly realized tale of good vs. evil.
FilmFanatik
December 24, 2007
I know people love this movie, but I'm not all that crazy about it. I prefer Kurosawa's original.
½ January 19, 2010
While it isn't the masterpiece that Seven Samurai is, it's still a great western and a well translated story. Somehow it manages to relate gunslingers to Samurai quite easily. The characters are all there, even though they are a little different. Kikuchiyo's character was essentially split up into three chatacter's: Vin, Bernardo and Chico. I find it amazing that such a rich character had to be taken down in order to make the movie work as well as it did. My only real complaint with the film is Yul Brynner who just never seemed to fit. He expresses almost none of the wisdom that Kambei had, but it doesn't ruin the overall experience. I actually find it to be a very different movie than Seven Samurai, especially when you compare them side by side. The same basic concept is there, but it really is a completely different feeling and tone.
ScoopOnline
December 13, 2009
They were seven - And they fought like seven hundred!
July 1, 2007
One of the best older westerns. Has an impressive cast as the best guns of the west come to the aid of a Mexican village.
March 9, 2008
Classic western remake of the Seven Samurai featuring Yul Brynner and a very young cast featuring Charles, Bronson, James Coburn, Robert Vaughn, and Steve McQueen. This is the story of seven gunfighters hired by a Mexican village to protect and teach them to fight against a gang of bandits led by the superb Eli Wallach. Even though thetitle calls these men "magnificent" you soon learn that they are far from it. They are all flaws characters, some almost as flawed as Wallach. That's what makes this film so interesting.
cosmo313
April 16, 2007
A brilliant western. I have yet to see the source materiual, but I hear that is as equally brilliant, if not more so. The music, cinematography, performances, and direction are flawless.
½ September 17, 2007
Totally over-rated! See The Seven Samurai instead!
June 9, 2007
This could very well be my favorite western (High Plains Drifter running a close 2nd). Based on Seven Samurai (another fave), a gunman is hired by the residents of a Mexican village to protect them against bandits. He in turn hires six others to help him. At every showing I can sense men all over the country hanging their heads in shame that they will never be as cool or as badass as the cumulative star power of this film. And they'd be right! I mean...Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn and Charles Bronson in the same film?!?! Please! If Robert Mitchum had been added to this mix, your TV would just turn to liquid nitrogen. It would be THAT cool.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 15, 2007
one of the top 5 westerns of all time, if you like this watch seven samurai
kpn666
June 24, 2006
Magnificent! All guns and knife) blazing! - Yul Brynner and Steve Mcqueen form a posse of 7 to protect a vilage from pludering bandits - and do so with courage and honor which makes this movie a hero's tale. - best remake of a international movie - Seven Samurai.