—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Mischief Reviews

AJ V

May 27, 2011
I really liked this movie, the plot is a simple romantic comedy, but it has all the charm and rebelliousness of a 50s teen flick combined with the fun and sexiness of an 80s teen film. Plus, it has a more realistic look at teen romance than other movies of the time, I think. Overall, it's a good movie, and I'd recommend it.
iLeo
iLeo

January 3, 2008
This is a hilarious movie! Filled with lots of laughter, from beginning to end. Loved it!!
Wu C

September 11, 2006
Good 80's coming-of-age movie.
June 12, 2012
Simple adolescent love in the golden age. However, I would say that they had much more loose morals in this film than I would expect in reality.
TonyPolito
August 15, 2010
Don't overestimate the potential entertainment value of Kelly Preston's two whole seconds of full frontal; can you spell merkin?

Just the same, this generally-overlooked, nostalgic, cutesy gander at 1950s teenage romance, sex and bad boys IS worth viewing - even though every single cliche scene and phrase you could ever possibly imagine or remember on those topics has been cobbled together to become this script. The James Dean / Natalie Wood 'chicken' car dare from "Rebel Without A Cause" is shamelessly ripped off.

Still, the film basically works. Mostly because director Damski had the insight to pour his budget into incredibly realistic & detailed set pieces and props, quality camera-work, sharp color - and a no-corners-cut soundtrack.

There's likely not another film that looks more like days and nights at 1956 MidwestBurg High School that this one; in that sense it even gives "American Graffiti" a real run for the money. Everything from malted glasses to costumes to cars (even a moving van) are, visually, amazingly authentic - and well filmed.

The 1950ish town square seen actually still exists in the condition filmed here, less a few props, at the center of Nelsonville, Ohio. You'll wish you could pull right up to a speaker and order fries at Jerry's pink-'n-sky-blue-neon drive-in.

With remaining funds, Damski employed a quintet of then-budding actors you've-sort-of-heard-of, all of whom do really good work, especially considering the lines they've been dealt. At fin, Jami Gertz has never looked lovelier.

The kids (and you) get to groove to Fats Domino, Elvis, Buddy Holly, The Platters, Little Richard, and other top-notchers, including a few true jewels you might have forgotten.

RECOMMENDATION: If you liked "American Graffiti," "Grease," "Happy Days" et. al., it's a pretty safe wager you'll be-bop to this one too.
MovieGuruDude72
May 8, 2010
They filmed the one scene near where I went to college. Of course I saw this silly flick. It's part of my upbringing. Silly and a bit cheesy in a 1980s way but still one of my favorite movies. Catherine Mary Stewart was SOOOO adorable. Great fun.
nybucks8aem
July 27, 2008
Mischief is an awesomely hilarious movie. It is so awesome that it was filmed in Nelsonville, OH and Rockbridge, OH. This is a great comedy movie!!!! One word for this movie HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!
wolverineland
June 4, 2007
Great 80's flick set in 1956 Ohio about two buddies, a likeable local loser and the cool misunderstood new guy who help eachother to win the hearts of the two prettiest girls in school. The problem is one lacks the confidence and the other lacks the class. Great performances by McKeon and Nash as the buddies and Preston and Stewart as the school beauties. Nice cameo by Jami Gertz and a wonderful 50's soundtrack helps make this an underrated classic.
July 30, 2007
This was a fun teen sex comedy! It always had me crackin up with all the things they got themselves into. This one is a must see.
bluangel268728
June 4, 2007
It was one of the best "teenage" trouble movies I have ever seen. I was cracking up most of the movie. I love this type of movie!
June 22, 2014
I will admit that I watched Mischief for the Kelly Preston mud scene but it had much more to offer. This is a very funny and entertaining film.
November 1, 2011
Just one of those great 80's films where you got to love it
Luc L.
November 10, 2010
A poor and typical story about an adolescence boy.
Del Taco
May 15, 2010
A warm, sweet natured film. Not so much a teenage sex raunch comedy, which is how it was originally marketed as in the spring of 1985. It's more a nostalgic celebration of coming of age in the 50's.

Dweeb virgin Doug Mckeon ( fresh from On Golden Pond ) lusts after the beyond gorgeous uber babe Kelly Preston. After typically embarrassing attempts, he scores with her in probably one of the most refreshingly honest, realistic, first time sex scene in movie history.

Movie then turns into a charming tale of friendship between McKeon, Preston, Catherine Mary Stewart and her motorcycle riding rebel boyfriend, played by Chris Nash.

The aura of nostalgia is graced by 50's music, cozily fuzzy scenes of rural farms and bright small towns, and spot on period detail

And it must be said again, , Kelly Preston was at the height of her golden beauty in this movie : an absolutely stunningly beautiful woman. Mr Travolta is a lucky man.