69% Hercules Jul 25

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Of Human Bondage Reviews

Pierluigi P

March 28, 2008
The electrifying, larger than life persona of Bette Davis and her big swollen eyes are enough to captivate Leslie Howard's poor but well meaning sap, and film lovers like myself too. A compelling melodrama about unrequited love, obsession, excess of candidness, and punishment.
Nicki M

October 18, 2008
I must have watched the worst copy of this going - one of those $2 store jobs with scratchy sound and picture, lines, blotches, you name it, and I still found this compelling. I can only imagine what it must be like to watch it properly. I think I will have to track down a decent copy online and I must check the book out too as apparently that was much more detailed.
Bette Davis plays a horrible, but beautiful woman with a grating English accent (other reviewers seemed to think it was accurate). I could see how Philip kept falling for her even though she was absolutely heinous! The scene where she is screaming at him that she wiped her mouth every time he kissed her was especially awful.
This would be one of my favourite older movies so far, can't believe I had this dvd for about two years and only just watched it!
Michael G

June 18, 2007
Of Human Bondage kind of epitomizes everything I dislike about movies from the mid-30s. The pacing is slow, its overdramatic and feels just kind of... hollow overall. I know the point of this movie is to watch Leslie Howard's simp of a character step in the same pile of dog shit over and over but despite a pretty quick running time it gets old sort of fast. And despite a very wobbly cockney accent, Bette Davis plays a magnificent See You Next Tuesday and her physical transformation into a shitball hag was great. (And a drag at the same time because Davis was an absolute doll when she was young.) Nothing amazing but not horrible.
AJ V

September 3, 2010
I've heard a lot of good things about this movie, but when I saw it I didn't understand it. Maybe I need to see it again, but I really thought it was dull and uninteresting.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 4, 2007
bette is an over the top harridan but as always she's compelling
SteveStrange
SteveStrange

January 19, 2009
The unabridged version of the the novel simply can't be adapted to the screen.
Sarah P

January 27, 2008
A sad and pitiful love story, and an interesting film.
May 13, 2012
Bette Davis was so beautiful in this, I can understand why Philip kept coming back. Davis owned this alright.. what a character.
May 7, 2009
This film is brilliant, not only in story line but also because of the way they use the camera to tell the story regardless of the actors in front of it, this is a film that really revels in the art which is film making
March 31, 2008
Proves to me that the book is indeed a timeless classic. This short movie version is good, but of course you can't get the full effect unless you read the thousand plus pages.
January 30, 2008
One of W. Somerset Maugham's best. Since I haven't read the book, I could not compare the film adaptation to the book, but I thought at parts, the plot might've moved too fast. Overall thought, I have to say the characters were well-developed. Expected story with a unexpected(or expected..hard to say) ending, and seems like most W. Somerset Maugham's works have the female character as the protagonist, but this story focused on Howard's character...still very good. And I have to give credit to Bette Davis, her character was SUCK A BITCH! lol
jennalynde
April 25, 2007
Bette Davis is so young and beautiful in this movie of Sommerest Maugum's sad story. It's worth the time to see it.
silverclaudia
July 5, 2007
I love everything about this movie! (Especially Leslie Howard-yum!) The score is wonderful too. I love how Leslie's character and each of the three women in his life have their own musical theme. People who complain old movies are boring haven't seen the right ones.
mizzmmv
April 13, 2007
Oooh, it's Leslie Howard. He was cool. Bette is a floozy who breaks his heart, but gets her's in the end.
November 10, 2006
The movie was such bad quality that I couldn't even read the letters shown on screen! I hope I'll get to see a better quality sometime... but even within this limited circumstance, Bette Davis was Bette Davis!
June 12, 2014
it's a touching movie
tho the ending kinda the weakest part of the movie
Pierluigi P

March 28, 2008
Matty Stanfield
December 18, 2013
Fascinating example of the Hollywood film industry in transition. The Hayes Code was fairly new and it certainly seems like John Cromwell was able to get more realism packed into his film than one might expect from an 80 year movie. Certainly, the film has clumsy moments or daft ideas of holding an audiences' hand -- but this is early sound filmmaking. The aspect that makes this film so valuable and valid is Bette Davis' performance. I am not too familiar with early film history, but Davis' portrayal of the "Femme Fatale" almost feels "current" and is most certainly a valid depiction of a pathetic and cruel-spirited person. I don't think I've seen an actor look that real from this era of film work. And, Davis seems more British than some of her British born/trained co-stars. This is most definitely a film to be seen.
August 3, 2013
Fabulous melodrama with the straight Leslie Howard playing off Bette Davis' warped character. Utterly captivating.
July 20, 2013
A young man overcomes his awkwardness brought about by a clubfoot and pursues a medical career. But his world is thrown upside down when he meets and falls in love with a gruff Cockney waitress who brings him nothing but grief. An adult drama which deals heavily with the darker side of love. Bette Davis' striking performance as the cold temptress is excellent and memorable.