—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

On the Beach Reviews

Apeneck F

June 29, 2013
Most certainly my fav Kramer film, this almost forgotten cautionary tale of the last days of suicidal humanity has its drawbacks ... but
that might sum up humanity, no? Overall, the spirit to find the best of us while fully submerged in the worst drives this tale that looks at the ragtag few remaining survivors facing certain extinction at the end of the world. Peck et al lend undeserved honor to the race and Fred Astaire proves he didn't only need to be dancing to be worth attention. Ernest Gold's score, variations on "Waltzin' Matilda", will leave you soaked in an bittersweet Australian stew for days to come. Have plenty of Coopers Pale Ale on hand.
Daniel P

June 22, 2012
A spooky Cold War classic about those MAD years, when the complete ruination of the world through nuclear war seemed a real possibility. Once again, Gregory Peck carries a film with his performance - I'm starting to think he's one of the all-time best - and it's the humanity of these characters and their attempt to retain hope when all seems lost. It's a pushing to the extreme of a feeling in that was in the air at the time, but it also seems unfortunately easy to relate to. An important and uncomfortable film to see.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
This movie has a lot of stars, and it's a pretty intense drama, I liked it.
Red L

April 11, 2010
Saw this on TV the other day. I could just imagine the movie sending shivers up and down the spines of viewers in 1959. There must be at least one other movie based on the same novel as I have seen this concept before. I found the most surprising actor Fred Astaire. I've never seen him in a serious role before.
Daniel H

December 16, 2007
One of the earliest apocalyptic films, despite being over half-a-century old, has a startlingly unique and refreshing viewpoint on nuclear annihilation. Not post-apocalyptic in the ruined wasteland scenario, nor a commentary on the events leading up to such an event. It still remains one of the only films to take place in a place utterly untouched by war, but reeling psychologically from its aftermath.

On the Beach instead deals with the end of the world as a slowly creeping outside influence, utterly terrifying and alien... yet calmly assured. A threat whose nationalistic cause is eerily dealt with through nationalist pride.

Perhaps the best non-documentary analysis of nuclear war.
Tim S

April 20, 2009
I loved the set up of this movie. It was utterly depressing and I am always all over that. Then you have the superb acting from the entire cast. Gregory Peck leads it and there is a scene which contains one of the most natural deliveries of a tough monologue and is just another example of why he is a legend. Also, Fred Astaire is astounding as a cynical, drunk scientist. There was also the way the film was shot (there are some beautiful shots here). I love what Stanley Kramer did with the film, but felt that he beats you over the head towards the end with the entire nuclear war will destroy and I blame that on the times in which paranoia was running rampant. It does take a realistic (though does it's job with stretching) look on the entire situation and I felt deeply for each character.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 11, 2009
Released at the height of the cold war, Stanley Kramer's On the Beach is the story of a submarine crew forced to deal with the post-apocalyptic realization that the human race is about to become extinct. As with most of Kramer's endeavors, this one is forceful and direct. Casting is spot-on perfect with Hollywood legends Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Anthony Perkins and Fred Astaire. By my reckoning, this is one film that is vastly under-appreciated
Michael G

November 22, 2006
Not a bad early post-apocalyptic drama which happened to be released at the height of the cold war. Mostly maudlin as its cast faces their own mortality with a little suspense thrown in for the San Francisco sequence. Everyone speaks with an American accent despite the fact that most of the characters are Australian. How most of the characters' storylines were tied up was done in a reasonably lame manner but this is where I'm guessing the book is better than the movie.
rubystevens
rubystevens

July 27, 2008
an early post apocalyptic drama with all star cast. the peck/gardner romance is kinda corny but overall it's pretty damn good. it's fun to see fred astaire tackle a dramatic role even if his accent is patchy and anthony perkins turns in an affecting performance as a family man. also i'm pretty sick of that waltzing matilda song now
Daniel P

May 25, 2007
Wow. This film still packs a powerful punch. The science behind the concept may be a bit shaky (though undoubtedly would have been considered more accurate at the time the film was made), but then On The Beach isn't interested in the science but in what happens after the fact; how the surviving members of the human race after a global nuclear war, deal, or not deal, with their inevitable fate from the fallout. Whether in denial, carrying on as normal, turning to alcohol or becoming consumed in 'frivolous' activities, all the reactions are utterly believable and entirely human. An outstandingly good cast give their best - Ava Gardner and Gregory Peck's romance is particularly well played - and the direction is assured. I especially love the way the Australian anthem Waltzing Matilda is continually entwined and riffed on - towards the end, the extended version is drunkenly and amateurisly sung much to the apparently irritation of Dwight, until the reality of the words (which after all intone suicide) seem to register. The lush score by Ernest Gold also is very powerful. This is a poignant and surprisingly relevant film, up there on my list with the 2000 version of Fail Safe, about the futility of war and the hope of survival, with a difficult to watch ending.
Kyle M

June 29, 2012
Powerful film -- bleak but necessary and important.
Henrik S

November 5, 2007
Ava Gardner: " He sent me down here. I think he did not know what to do with me."
Gregory Peck: "That is debatable"

A great post-apocalyptic scenarion set in Australia, depicting the various lifes of people involved with the disaster and how they cope with it and the time they have left. One thing that always struck me as weird, was how limited the number of nuclear craze movies Hollywood produced that were at least partially realistic and dialect. The cold war led to put out of hundreds of giant monster movies but only a handful of "serious" tackles of the topic.

This movie is a prime example, grim, gritty and throwing many questions at you. Gregory Peck is one of my favourite leading man in Hollywood (past era) and he agains proves me right in this picture. Ava Gardner clearly enjoys her first non-contract film work, while Anthony Perkins is as cringing to look at as ever.

The movie is very raunchy, with many drinking and sexual references, I would even go as far and not call them references at all. In one scene, Ava Gardner's characters ask Peck's character what he thinks about when he is at the dentist: "Do you think about the most beautiful thing ? Sex ?".

I give Stanley Kramer two thumbs up for this.Without spoiling the ending, it is refreshingly non-hollywood.

The only weak spot of the movie is, see above, Anthony Perkins and every scene containing him, which are unfortunately quite a few. He is a terrible actor and I had to fast forward his sequences, I could not take it.

All in all, an interestng movie which, despite its cast, direction and overall American feel, is a bit off-beat and quirky as well.
keith222
keith222

March 19, 2008
First hour takes it time to set to set up all the characters, but once they start to search for other life the movie becomes very suspenseful . Fred Astaire give a great supporting performance. His later roles in his career are very interesting. Instead of being that badass on the dance floor he turned into an angry old cynic. I noticed that in this and Towering Inferno.
May 14, 2012
Post apocalyptic drama, seems to be the first of its time, where the only place safe from the nuclear radiation is Australia and the only US presence is a submarine that survived the whole thing. It is an interesting film and Gardner plays the free spirited woman who captures the mourning Peck's heart. She does well, but so does Astaire as the negative scientist who drives a Ferrari, Perkins as a soldier and his pretty wife Anderson. But it ends on a negative note warning us of where we are going with our nuclear powers. Overall, sombre.
August 22, 2007
The acting in this was pretty good overall, the story- while it was a cool concept, was hard to believe. I don't believe in an apocalyptic world where every surviving human just gives up. Sorry, all people are different, these people were all just "sheep."
lisatoday1
February 11, 2011
On the Beach is a post-apocalyptic end-of-the-world novel written by British-Australian author Nevil Shute. It was published in 1957. The novel was adapted for the screenplay of a 1959 film featuring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins. This movie is slow paced by today's standards but does a more than adequate job of displaying a world dying of radiation poisoning. This biggest surprise for me was Fred Astaire's acting. It's worth a look.
October 27, 2008
Entertaining, disheartening movie. 3 negatives to point out:
!) How could anyone like tony Perkins here? His performance is laughable and completely non-believable, which is a shame because his character should have been the most sympathetic. In contrast Astaire won me over in every scene he was in. Was his Ferrari the model for the Speed Racer Mach 1?
2) A little long. Or rather, the first 45 minutes moves rather s-l-o-w setting up everyone. Its worth it in the end, but you have to make it through.
3) The score sometimes was a little too overpowering, sometimes sounding like the original Star Trek. Sometimes scaring you because its just loud instead of the visual of what you're seeing just 'shocking' you.
terryc1000
January 11, 2008
Great drama/love story about the end of the world. Disturbing concept with a calming effect. Nice combo. A must see.
iumuggle
July 11, 2007
Fred is amazing in this dramatic role. Ava is beautiful though aged, and Gregory is still handsome as ever
March 3, 2007
By far the most depressing movie in the world. So depressing... so... so.... *sob* I want chocolate now. I highly recommend it... just not when you want to have fun. Now I need to go find something happy to do.... ARGH!!! This movie is so sad! Just not in the normal way. See it. I have it. :)