The Phantom of the Opera Reviews

May 23, 2011
Gory slasher interpretation of the story. Overall I liked it. It did pander to a wider audience by beginning and ending in present day. This was also just a bit confusing, and seems to have been done in an attempt to lay the groundwork for some sequels. The makeup was very well realized, and I enjoyed how it allowed the Phantom to go out and about. The kills were gruesome and cruel, and Englund mostly managed to keep his performance away from Krueger territory. A bit of classical literature, mixed with 80's slasher, and some class act British performances, such as a young Nighy, make this a worthwhile watch.
½ June 15, 2007
Truthfully this is one of my favorite addaptions of the Book. Note I said "Book" It is perfect, classic, cheesey 80s Horror. Robert Englund is fantasic, although some may say this is basically a Nightmare on Elmstreet with a different title, I thought Englund played the character fantasically. He plays it more like Erik should be in the Book. A bit crazy, very angery and a Super genius. I loved that Bill Nighy was in this as well. A very pleasent surprise. And as for the girl who played Christine...yes she was not the best actress but I wasnt watching the movie for HER. If that was her singing though, she has a very nice voice. All in all if your looking for a gory, sometimes cheesey horror movie, You like Robert Englund, and you would like to see a different more acturate story of the Phantom then I deffinetly think you should check this one out. P.s. It has great music!
December 7, 2009
Awesome piece! Creepy version of The Phantom of the Opera.
July 6, 2007
1989's Robert Englund's "Phantom of the Opera", offers a fresh 80's slasher variation. It's not cheaply done; the movie is stylish and well-directed. Instead of Paris, this movie was set in London. The set design was great: from the underused opera house, the masquerade hall, the grimey streets and pubs of London to the phantom's candlelit sewer layer. It looks extravagant and high-budget; the visual splendour makes it a treat to watch.

Robert Englund shows us he can be much more than Freddy Krueger. His phantom wears a hat and flowing cape, and applies facial patches and makeup to get about in public. He plays a disturbed and mysterious musical composer with a killer tendency. There is enough violence shown to please gore-hounds: guttings, impalements, skinnings and beheadings are on display. They've also included a somewhat supernatural origin to the phantom.

I found it hard to believe lovely Christine (Jill Schoelen) could fall for such a creepy and disturbing character. Her beautiful prescence helps balance out the ugliness and horror of the setting. The movie could've done with more of her lovely singing. Like the phantom, Christine exists in the past and the present. It was interesting how the story took us to modern-day New York for some additional story elements.

Better than Dario Argento's Phantom, but I still love Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical version the most.
½ April 28, 2006
I love the idea of the Phantom using floppy discs. :D
November 28, 2014
While it definitely puts the horror back into The Phantom of the Opera, this adaption is a betrayal of Gaston Leroux's original novel. Played by Robert Englund, the Phantom is turned into a serial killer who's made a Faustian deal to make his music immoral. But what's worse is that he's taken out of the opera house; without which he's just a generic monster. And, Jill Schoelen doesn't convey the innocence and romanticism of Christine. The directing is also a problem, as it focuses more on the gore than the character story. Though it claims to be Gaston Leroux's The Phantom of the Opera, this is film has little interests in being a romantic tragedy.
½ May 5, 2007
This was horrible. It is not even a good horror movie, Robert Englund is just Freddy Krueger in a phantom mask.
June 9, 2008
This Phenomal Movie Brought out every emotion I had inside...The Phantom is inside my Mind? Poor Phantom having to Learn to Be Lonely
July 6, 2010
Fuck. this movie could have been a lot better... or could it of...? Pretty boring but it made up for slow pacing and fruity set peices with the presence of Robert Englund and Jill Schoelen(really hot chick i have never heard of her before), and a lot of graphic gore. I honestly dont think they could make a fun adaptation of the "Phantom" story.
August 1, 2009
The makeup on the phantom was atrocious. I like the story, but would have to say that Andrew Lloyd Webber's version is much more satisfying.
March 22, 2009
Truly one of the best adaptations I've seen of the original novel! Englund is perfect as always in this very enticing and gory movie.
March 13, 2009
I have this version of the movie as well as the 2004 version. I loved both. They were both equally good. This one is great because Robert Englund is a great actor and the way he portrayed the Phantom was excellently done.
½ May 17, 2008
Not to be confused with the 2004 musical. Sure the Phantom looks a lot like Freddy Kruger sure it's a lot more gorier but I love it!!!
½ January 6, 2009
Like all but one movie Robert England has been in THIS THING SUCKS !!!
It's a tragic blow to the classic story that this HACK was able to make this movie !
June 20, 2008
What can you say about The Phantom of the Opera that hasn't already been said. I have seen this twice live but I have to admit I enjoy it just as much on the DVD.
May 11, 2008
This Is by far a great Phantom,it shows more darker espects of Erik,and reminds me of Susan Kay's novel.This is a must see in my book.
May 7, 2008
i love this movie from the bottom of my heart!!!!!!!!!!!!! I reccommend it to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
½ January 10, 2008
Doesn't hold a candle to the silent film or the updated musical. It's not even as good as the made for tv movie that NBC did back in teh day.
August 18, 2007
I use to be obsessed with this movie. It's hard to find now. Critics might have hated it, but I sure loved it.
August 11, 2007
At first i thought this movie was going to be boring but once i sat down and watched it, it didn't seem so bad.