43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

The Postman Always Rings Twice Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

January 18, 2011
What is most striking about this film are the performances by the leads. I've grown up taking for granted the fact that Jack Nicholson is a great actor with only a few of his contemporary performances serving as meaningful evidence, but here, in his younger days, Nicholson proves to be a master of smarmy, sleazy subtlety. Jessica Lange is at times vulnerable and at others succeeding in her attempt to be blisteringly alluring. The film's "love" - or should I say animalistic fucking - scenes also serve as the film's appeal, but I found myself more repulsed than aroused. Finally, David Mamet's script is quite strong, but this is not the Mamet of Oleanna and Wag the Dog. Rather, this is the Mamet of The Verdict, a Mamet who relies on subtext more than acerbic dialogue. For example, he writes, "I'm tired of doing the right thing." Pause. "They hang people for that, Cora." It's up to the actors to imbue these lines with meaning, and these actors are up to the task.
The film's flaw is the storyline. At the end, we wonder what the film is saying about these characters. It seems that they reach their conclusions out of moralistic fatalism, not out of any authorial or directorial intent. Compare this film to There Will Be Blood, which deals with many of the same themes sans sexuality, and you'll find that Paul Thomas Anderson has a clear vision and feeling about Daniel Plainview, but the same can't be said of these characters. What is more, there is a short subplot with Anjelica Huston, and in the words of Roger Ebert, she seems "to be visiting from another movie."
Overall, if you can look at this film as a collection of scenes from an acting class and divorce yourself from the need of a consistent story, The Postman Always Rings Twice is a good film.
Conner R

March 30, 2010
When you‚??re trying to find a true Neo-Noir, this is hard to beat. Not only does it keep the safe feel and raunchy plotline as most Film Noirs of the late 30s and 40s, but it‚??s also a very well composed re-imagining of one. David Mamet beautifully adapts a decent script into a complete masterwork. It has all the great ingredients that make people love the movies. The look of the film is amazing as well, with a lot of great period sets, costumes and cars. You also get a real sense that you‚??re there with these characters. Bob Rafelson does another great job at directing flawless performances and capturing humans at their best and at their worst.

I don‚??t think you can get better than Jack Nicholson when it comes to shady characters, he captures Frank Chambers perfectly. While you ultimately side with him and relate to his views, he truly is a vile person. What makes it great is Jack Nicholson‚??s deranged sense of charm, which surprisingly works every time. Jessica Lange also gives quite possibly her best performance, definitely the most natural she‚??s ever been.

What I love most about this movie is the fact that the story is so incredibly fun and you become so invested with these two characters who want nothing but trouble. I think it‚??s great when a film can make you side with the villains, most of the time they‚??re the most interesting ones anyway. Even through all their bad deeds, they still manage to engage you and make you fall in love with them.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

September 14, 2009
Redeeming quality: Jack Nicholson.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 5, 2007
a real disappointment, stick with the lana turner/john garfield original. even with the 40's restrictions that one is so much more sensual and entertaining.
November 29, 2012
A twisted romance set in the 20's showing an aspect of highway life I did not expect. It was driven by Model T's, passion and tragic justice. It made me look forward to seeing the original. It says rated PG, but it was most likely a type o. Huston's cameo was interesting.
August 1, 2009
for a PG movie, wow the whole thing for the most part was about sex and they had scene's throughout.
Morris N

March 4, 2007
I haven't seen it all. From what I saw I gathered the following:
The acting is excellent. The story is sleazy. Not sure I want to subject myself to it all the way through.
manly500usa
January 19, 2008
This remake of the 1946 movie of the same name accounts an affair between a seedy drifter and a seductive wife of a roadside cafe owner. This begins a chain of events that culminates in murder.
albertwesker1998
April 3, 2007
I thought this was a very twisted and suspenseful film. I liked it, it's not the best, it isn't very predictable but ok. I hated the ending, I cried. Jack is the best, great for Nicholson fans.
Matty Stanfield
January 18, 2014
Sleazy, erotic and Jessica Lange is tired of what's right and wrong! Beautifully shot by the great Sven Nykvist and unbridled passion from Lange and Nicholson. While the 1940's film has many fans, this film offers a much more realistic take with more than a little subversion flowing beneath the surface. Far from perfect, but certainly quite good.
Kieran F.
September 14, 2013
Maybe not as great as the original but Jack Nicolsons Performance is really the highlight of this film
Sarfaraz Abbasi
August 27, 2013
The Postman Always Rings Twice directed by Bob Rafelson from the screenplay written by David Mamet. Film stars legendary Jack Nicholson, Jessica Lange and John Colicos. This film is adapted from the novel of same name from 1934 - which had its 1948 film adaptation as well.

In mid of the night, hitchhiker Jack hops in a small truck and arrives as lunch-wagon-cum-gas-station. He cons the driver insider diner and have him a cup of coffee while hiding inside toilet to waiting for him to be gone and so that he could cheat the owner of diner that he forgot his wallet inside the truck. The lunch-wagon is owned by a middle-aged Greek owner, with beautiful young wife working in the kitchen. The two grow passionate affair and struggle to elope or plot to murder the owner and takeover his property.

This version received countless of criticism for deviating away from the original novel's ending - and of-course for a person like myself, who has never read the novel, feel like cheated and kept in dark from the knowing (firstly) the title analysis and secondly, the much negatively criticized ending. The Postman Always Rings Twice is the film in a long time that I have seen any Jack Nicholson film.
July 31, 2013
I think the biggest problem with this remake is Jack Nicholson's character he remains a mystery. I also didn't get involved with the love between the two, everything is just too mean. The score, and production design hold it together.
October 14, 2007
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, it's almost certainly not as good as the original, but not entirely dismissable either.
May 27, 2013
secondo me david nicholls ha scritto il finale di one day dopo aver visto questo film.
March 23, 2013
Jack Nicholson is good as always, but this remake ends up just being a silly little film that does not in any way engage the viewer. I do not recommend it.
Vik Garre
April 30, 2012
Unfortunately boring.
moviebuff18cab
August 4, 2006
THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE (1981)
David H.
June 30, 2010
A grandious Film Noir Melodrama with a great Cast Jack Nicholson & Jessica Lange play hillarious their Sex Scenes are much realistic maybe real? The Chapter of Time in which the Movie plays looks also realistic and i like that Masses of Greeks in that Movie
ola k.
September 15, 2009
Anjelica Huston rocks, she plays one of the most entertaining character i've seen in months. and that's my problem with this movie, since the moment she disappeared from the screen i couldn't stop thinking how great this movie could be if she's stayed.