Pride and Prejudice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pride and Prejudice Reviews

jjnxn
July 19, 2007
good even with liberties taken but greer is too old to be a believable nineteen year old.
½ October 25, 2011
I heard that this movie strayed from Austen's novel so I wasn't expecting it to be as good as other adaptations. On the contrary, I found this version DELIGHTFUL! Though Laurence Oliver is a bit of a "stick in the mud" (I find his character flat) Greer Garson and her co-stars more than make up for it. I actually found the bit at the end with Lady Catherine de Bourgh which strayed from the original actually a better and more entertaining story line. What a great romantic comedy! I am sad that it took me this long to discover this gem. True that the costumes are all wrong for the time period in which Austen's story takes place but the beauty of creative license is that one can set the story in any time period, just as Romeo + Juliet has been set in modern times on more than a couple occasions.
iLeo
December 26, 2007
Absolute favorite! Greer Garson playing the infamous Elizabeth was brilliant.
November 15, 2011
Solid adaptation, but the 95 version clearly blows it out of the water. Olivier is probably very good on his own and in his time as Darcy, but Firth's performance overshadows Olivier's for me in every way. The movie does a good job with the basic plot, although some of the characters get a little short shifted.
October 28, 2012
Pride And Prejudice is an imperfect, but still very enjoyable romance film. While the script could use more fine-tuning since the film kinda jumps around too much at times, the performances are great, the writing is witty, and it's a consistently entertaining film that's fun to watch.
June 30, 2012
Only watched the last forty minutes of this and I was horrified by it's lack of respect to the original story. Where sometimes it works to speed things up and change plot devices this does not work for this story. You need the time and distance between Lizzie and Darcy for the change of heart to work. Thought the actress playing Lizzie had her character all wrong. Darcy was a little too friendly... overtly obvious in his attentions, which is not faithful to Austen at all.
April 25, 2012
This is the second best version of the Jane Austen classic. I had some problems with some of the subplot details in this film, being such a huge fan of novel and the mini-series, which mirrored the novel. I must admit that the chemistry between Garson and Olivier was sweet and it made the figurative language in the film even sweeter. It's fun to watch.
½ July 11, 2011
The movie is pretty boring, with so many wonderful adaptions made since, but I did like the part where Bingley translates the doctor's diagnosis for Jane. Unfortunately, one fun scene does not a movie make. And I hate the ending: Lady Catherine's character was ruined!
May 18, 2011
This movie was light-hearted and fun, and I was surprised by how much I liked it!

Of all the Jane Austen screen adaptations, this one deviated the most from the novel - in dialogue, scenes, and character introductions and omissions. At times it didn't even try to condense the story, but rather, it created new scenes entirely. Interestingly, though, it seems to me now that deviations from the original source are most unforgivable when the adaptation for the most part tries to adhere to the book, but then veers away drastically for brief moments. On the other hand, it appears that I don't really seem to mind when a movie as a whole is interpreted differently, as long as it stays true to the spirit of the original story and characters - and then, in that case, any time the movie does briefly adhere closely to the book, I am pleasantly surprised.

The movie is well-acted and well-cast. At first the women's costumes (which were more in the style of antebellum American South than British Regency) were distracting, but once I got past that, it was a pleasure to watch.
March 16, 2010
86/100. Although this isn't the most faithful adaptation of the classic novel by Jane Austen, it is the best and most entertaining. (The 2005 Keira Knightley version is a close second.) The basis of the story is the Bennett's finding husbands for their five daughters: Elizabeth (Greer Garson), Jane (Maureen O'Sullivan), Lydia (Ann Rutherford), Kitty (Heather Angel), and Mary (Marsha Hunt). Elizabeth is the strongest willed daughter, and takes a liking to the aloof Mr. Darcy (Laurence Olivier) and she makes it a challenge to nab him.

Superb costume design, score and Oscar winning art direction, and once again MGM spared no expense resulting in a beautiful and sumptuous film. Excellent performances all around, especially Garson, Olivier, Mary Boland and Edmund Gwenn as the parents and the scene stealing Edna May Oliver. A fine classic and always a pleasure to watch.
March 16, 2010

December 17, 2009
Though not the most faithful adaptation of the classic Jane Austen novel, it is the most delightful. Garson may be too old to play Lizzy, but she and Olivier capture the spirit and attractiveness of their characters better than anyone else. Infinitely superior to the drear and weirdly Brontė-ish 2005 iteration.
½ October 19, 2009
I'll never get tired of this story. I loved Greer Garson's version of Lizzie. Jane, however...i dunno, she was just a bit too different from all the other Janes Ive seen. The ending was different but I liked it.
November 18, 2008
Not bad as a movie; however, as an adaptation of the novel, I believe it's the worst I've seen. Too many changes in the plot and some of the characters as well - many of them unnecessary.
½ August 24, 2008
Heavy abridgement and questionable rearrangement of events made this the least enjoyable of the adaptations I've seen of this novel. Additions to the plot, most especially the change in the character of Lady Catherine, made little sense in the face of important aspects which were apparently left out for time. Mr. Darcy was too affable throughout; his affection far too noticeable from the very beginning to make his proposal at all surprising. The plot was pushed too far to the comedic, and went too over the top in some aspects. Despite the great acting and carefully done visuals, this film just took too many liberties and failed to make some of the most important connections in the plot to be truly enjoyable.
August 21, 2008
I know this is a classic but I just didn't like it as much as any other adaptation of the book. The acting and settings were good but I found it some of the characters too silly and didn't like how some of the story was changed.
½ April 3, 2016
I was really enjoying this movie on TCM...right until the last 15 minutes. I understand films sometimes deviate from novels but Lady Catherine did not like Elizabeth. Making her some sort of ambassador for Mr. Darcy left me irritated.
July 16, 2015
It's good. Very good. One of the original tales brought to the big screen of the Jane Austin novel of the same name. It's a pretty fun story and the awesome personality of Liz and Darcy make the story so fun to watch. The plot can drag on sometimes like all films do of this era, but still it's a very good film.
November 15, 2011
½ February 8, 2015
Played for a comedy...kinda odd...but still somewhat amusing. Fun fact, the screenplay was written by Aldous Huxley!!!