The Reincarnation of Peter Proud - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Reincarnation of Peter Proud Reviews

½ January 15, 2011
The story and theme of this movie was excellent. But poor performances, real dull script and horrible cinematography destroyed what could have been a real classic.
SteveStrange
January 17, 2009
I want to give it 10 stars
December 2, 2005
I've seen the cult thriller [b][u]The Reincarnation of Peter Proud[/u][/b] several times and it remains one of the best movies made with the wrong people. Though I've not read the book, this film's premise continues to intrigue and send chills down my back. And it only could have been fully realized in the seventies, with an early, electronic Jerry Goldsmith score that's next to perfect, and set when reincarnation was, in this country, still a "fad." Since it works so well for its time period, it's a shame that it's got such drawbacks.

For one, Margot Kidder doesn't pass off as a sixty-year-old woman very well, and the old age make-up (or lack thereof) at all isn't convincing. And the woman playing Peter's girlfriend at the beginning is a horrible actress playing an annoying and unnecessary character. (I cringe whenever she says--playing the oh-so necessary "ardent non-believer" character, "Take it from me, Peter. When you're DEAD, you're DEAD.") She's basically in it for T&A--and this is a gratuitously racy movie for 1974. And, speaking of gratuitous, there's the endless "travelling through Massachusetts" sequence in the middle of the movie. Michael Sarrazin isn't bad--a pretty one-dimensional character when you get right down to it. The director, J. Lee Thompson (most famous for the original "Cape Fear," I believe) does a good job with the suspense and the intersplicing of Proud's past memories. And the last shot is pretty incredible.

But with that much wrong, why do I still give it an 8? It's well-directed, it's a great premise, and the Goldsmith score is wonderful. But it needs to be remade...and it was supposed to be remade by Paramount back in 2003, with David Fincher in talks to direct. I'd suggest someone like Christopher Nolan, because the intersplicing of past memories is his signature move and he can really make good thrillers. An electronica score may be [i]too[/i] seventies, but maybe Nolan could bring in the Goblins--they're still together, right? If not them, I'm sure Angelo Badalamenti could do it, or frequent Nolan contributor David Julyan. I could picture Tobey Maguire or someone like that in the lead...just as long as it doesn't turn into a Paul Walker movie. I hate Paul Walker. Keep him away.

Anyway, the original "Proud" is kind of a hard find. I found it on VHS on Amazon and I know if you google for it, there's bootleg DVD versions. I'd recommend it. It needs to be seen.
April 23, 2012
Don't go swimming in the lakes of your dreams--Intriguing and a bit otherworldly!!
½ July 4, 2013
History repeats itself......
½ January 19, 2012
October 31, 2011
Great book and a great film!
LittleMissBloodAndGuts
January 28, 2009
Sometimes history repeats itself. Again and again and ...
½ January 15, 2011
April 25, 2010
A not-very-thrilling thriller, with some very 70s redeeming elements.
½ September 22, 2009
i was 13 when i saw this movie i will find it and see it again.still remember
the story.Jennifer O'Neill i fell in love with her.she's gorgeous.
July 18, 2009
waiting to know about it.............
April 27, 2009
This is one of the most original occult/reincarnation films ever made. Having grown up in a McKNight-Hill Victorian with a Mahogany staircase and yellow stained glass window in the landing, the flashback scenes started giving ME flashbacks. For some reason it spoke to something deep inside me. Written by Max Ehrlich, based on his equally racy and ribald novel, Margot Kidder and Michael Sarrazin are well cast.
March 20, 2009
nobody i know has seen it, watched it as a kid, recently bought it off ebay from america. excellent film about a bloke whos wife kills him, then he comes back and starts dating his daughter. very strange,bit of a cult classic
February 24, 2009
My grandparents had a Mcknight-Hill Victorian like the one in the film. The flashbacks triggered my own. It was so vividly, and imaginatively visualized by Max Erlich and even bette presented visually than his novel. The first film to use an all electronic music score.
SteveStrange
January 17, 2009
I want to give it 10 stars
June 25, 2008
Now, this movie should be re-made.
May 5, 2008
A classically 70s parapsychological oddity replete with new age hokum, nudity, hair and the beautiful Margot Kidder.
January 18, 2007
I did not really like this movie.
½ March 2, 2008
A very realistically narrated tale about the reincarnation of Peter Proud - gripping scenes - Michael Sarrazin enacts the role real well.