• R, 1 hr. 39 min.

Risky Business Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

January 19, 2011
Miles: Joel, you wanna know something? Every now and then say, "What the fuck." "What the fuck" gives you freedom. Freedom brings opportunity. Opportunity makes your future.

"There's a time for playing it safe and a time for Risky Business."

Risky Business is one of the definitive 80's movies. It features a young Tom Cruise in one of his career defining and career starting films. This is a classic 80's film with a lot of sex and a lot of style. It's also one of the better teen comedies out there. The movie is smart, funny, honest, and really good. The plot, while not likely, still makes a lot of sense when you examine the teenage boy. We're horny, stupid, and crazy. Combine those three and you have a rough combination there. That's what Joel does when his parents leave for vacation. His whole life, he has lived by the rules. He's worked hard in school and in his extracurriculars, so that he can fulfill his dads dream of him going to Princeton. So when Joel finally he gets a little freedom, he says "What the fuck?"

Let's be honest, every guy out there can sympathize with Joel. We are him. When our parents left the house when we were in high school, it would go a lot like this. "Don't have anyone over" "No parties" Don't drive my car" To which we responded, "Okay, you can trust me." Bull Shit. The minute they were gone we were cruising in their car and calling up all of the friends we could think of. In the same way that is what Joel is doing in Risky Business. He's having a good time just like every teenager does. The only problem with it, is it got way out of hand and way over his head.The best thing about Risky Business is that it does make every guy think back to all the stuff he did in high school. You can really connect with a lot of what's going on in the movie. Maybe just not to that extreme though.

Risky Business really is a must watch. It transcends being just another teen comedy. It ends up being a drama/comedy/romance all in one. There's scenes of pure brilliance such as the one between Cruise and De Mornay on the train. It's one of those movies that bring back the teenage days so well and with a lot of honesty.
Albert K

June 14, 2011
An entertaining and interesting movie; nothing more to be said. The movie will keep you entertained even though the movie delves into dark and troubling themes. One thing to be mentioned is the score; it fits perfectly within every scene. The editing could've been sharper but I give it the benefit of the doubt for it is an older movie. Acting is great.
KJ P

October 3, 2010
"Risky Business" represents the 80's teen genre with style, as a a teenager has the house to himself when his parents leave for vacation. His friends tell him that he owes himself a good time, so he ends up having a one-night-stand with a hooker who inevitably steals a very expensive crystal egg off his families mantlepiece. His life just get's worse from here on out, by having his father's car slide into the lake and almost blowing his entire college interview. I must say that this film knows when to be subtle and good hearted and it knows when it is the right time to make you laugh. Tom Cruise is very cool in one of his very first theatrical roles, and the classic underwear scene will never tire. The acting is fun, the outfits fit the film perfectly, the plot line brings out the true events of the 80's, and by the end of the movie, I was either feeling happy when he was or sad when he was. My only complaint is that there are a few too many moments where it is a little too dramatic for the type of film that it is meant to be, but all-in-all, this is one of my favourite teen films!
Sam B

October 4, 2011
While too stylish for mainstream, Risky Business embraces skewed American mainstream values and morals to their fullest, with no repercussions in the end. The result is a maddening film, not just for its endorsement of immorality, but for its lack of likable characters, and a plot that drags along in a way that makes it feel far more than its hour and forty minute runtime. Not to mention the bafflingly high praise since its 1983 release, something I find not just baffling but alarming. To enjoy this movie, in my mind, is to avoid what is wrong with American pop culture, and to adhere to what is severely wrong about contemporary attitudes and ideals. That said, Tom Cruise is pretty good...
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

September 28, 2011
Risky Business is an 80s classic and gave us one of the biggest actors in Hollywood. The story is fun, original, and anyone who has been a teen can relate to this guy. Tom Cruise plays as one of his most famous and 1st role ever and hes great, and the rest of the cast deserves just as much praise. The score and music is great as well and helps a lot. Risky Business is one of the best coming of age films there is, and although the film is not very funny, its still a good movie and I enjoyed it.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

January 24, 2010
There's a time for playing it safe and a time for Risky Business.

Good 80's movie. This was one of the first movies done by Tom Cruise and it was like seeing him in any movie, his character, his swagger and his acting skills all were great never changed. The story was okay not really much to say there, just a typical movie from the 80's that was just crazy and memorable.

Left alone in the wealthy northern Chicago suburbs with the family house and Porsche at his disposal, Joel, through his scheming friends, finds himself entertaining to-die-for lady-of-the-night Lana. After meeting Joel's enthusiastic friends, Lana spots a business opportunity, and suggests bringing in some of her equally stunning colleagues. Joel is aghast at such an idea, at least until the Porsche accidentally falls into Lake Michigan, requiring a quick infusion of ready cash.
Shawn E

July 26, 2011
An 80's teen sex comedy, remembered for it's iconic scenes and up and coming actor Tom Cruise.
BEACHBUNNI
BEACHBUNNI

September 22, 2009
my fave thing about this movie is when Tom cranks up the stereo loudly, and dances around the living room in his underwear and pink shirt to the tune of "Old Time Rock and Roll" love that song!!! as for the movie...well i found it to be quite boring...yawn...............
AJ V

September 6, 2010
Love this movie, an 80s essential, Cruise is fantastic. This comedy has romance and a bit of adventure too. I highly recommend it.
Conner R

December 3, 2009
The movie that catapulted Tom Cruise into super-stardom and it's perhaps the greatest teen comedy of the 80s. It has almost anything and everything you could ask for. The plot is outrageous, yet somewhat believable. The characters aren't giant abstractions, but very real people. I loved that it actually had a purpose, it wasn't just about just raunchy language and nudity. Obviously Tom Cruise gives a flawless performance as a boy becoming a man. Who else could get away with a running a brothel out of his parents house? No one.
movieguru12
movieguru12

March 2, 2008
This movie definitely is defined as the teen movie of the 80s! This was Tom Cruise's breakout role and he is awesome and TOTALLY CUTE!!! Rebecca De Mornay had a great breakout role as well!!! Also,great music by Tangerine Dream and Phil Colins. See this movie!!!!! :) <3
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

November 8, 2010
Risky Business is a surprising teen comedy. This film along with Top Gun put Tom Cruise on the Hollywood map. This was Pre Scientology Tom Cruise. Risky Business is clever, witty amusement and its a well made Comedy film. Tom Cruise starts a brothel in his parent's home after he trashes his Porsche. Risky Business has a fine cast of young actor aside from Tom Cruise. A noteworthy performance is by Joe Pantoliano as Guido, the "killer Pimp". Unlike every other teen comedy, Risky Business has a totally different approach and story. What makes this film so good is the fact that it doesn't necessarily use a lot of vulgar language and doesn't overdo the nudity, like most teen comedies do. Instead we have a smart story where the teens aren't portrayed with the typical Hollywood stereotypes. Of course the viewer is presented with the usual teen behavior, but never do the filmmakers make them look stupid. The filmmakers treat the cast with respect and don't treat them in a typical teen matter. To summarize Risky Business, it's one of the best teen comedies that you can watch, it's very funny, well acted, and with a good script at hand, the director has created the quintessential teen comedy. Risky Business can be looked at as a classic of the genre by today's standards and it's still brilliant, and feel fresh after all the years.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 15, 2009
There's a time for playing it safe and a time for Risky Business.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

July 3, 2008
Curtis Armstrong! Also, Tom surely had a hard time rejecting that big black guy.
Lewis C

February 21, 2009
Risky Business is one of those classic 80's films that everyone has (or should have) seen. It has several iconic scenes that people know about, even if they haven't watched the movie.

It's cool to see a young Tom Cruise in a different kind of film than what's commonly made today. Risky Business is occasionally funny, consistently risqué, and (unfortunately) intermittently boring. It's entertaining enough for me to recommend to anyone to watch at least once, but don't go out buying it until you've sampled it first.
Jennifer X

January 24, 2009
An interesting mishmash of Eyes Wide Shut, Ferris Bueller, and American Pie. (And yes I know all those movies were released AFTER this one was - just stating what I feel.) Out of all the teen movies I have seen, this one feels the most edgy. It had the hugest potential to spiral out of control, but I'm glad Brickman chose the more optimistic ending. I enjoy Tom Cruise as an actor, despite what many may say. And Rebecca De Mornay is a HOT-TIE. Sometimes you just have to say "What the f*ck."
deano
deano

October 3, 2006
Best of the 1980's teen sex comedy and Rebecca DeMornay is hottest actress who makes a dynamic movie debut as liberated call girl. She made me drooling. LOL!
Ken S

March 28, 2007
Sometimes you just have to say
"What the fu(k"
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 2, 2008
Classic 80's film, prostitution is deemed acceptable, gotta make that money.