The Sea Wolves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sea Wolves Reviews

February 13, 2013
A thrilling, enjoyable and very entertaining World War 2 adventure, that's laced with great acting, good craftsmanship, great humor and exciting action. A sharply funny and action-packed movie. A great film to watch no matter what decade its from. Gregory Peck, David Niven and Roger Moore are excellent, they have crisp and wonderful chemistry. A terrifically entertaining and wonderful movie that is just pure escapist fun from start to finish. A men on a mission classic with a bunch of old timers who clearly still got it.
October 19, 2012
Exciting adventure story..amazingly based on real events. The sound editing could have been better, though.
September 21, 2012
Was going through a box of vs. tapes I had and came across this one, so I ordered the DVD from Netflix and this film brought back many memories. Its one of the better WWII films on the market. A bunch of retired soldiers make a raid in a neutral harbor to sink 3 Nazi ships, comical and action packed. 5 Stars 9-6-12
June 25, 2008
A fun adventure, with the three leads full of their usual charm.
January 27, 2014
A good, old fashioned war thriller, probably the last of its kind. A stellar cast with some good suspense. There's a touch of 'The Wild Geese at Sea' about it.
January 24, 2014
I have to admit that I am probably a bit biased when it comes to this movie which sometimes is referred to as The Last Charge of The Calcutta Light Horse by the way. It is a classical war movie that I saw, and liked, as a kid. It also has several of my favorite actors since I was a kid in it. So needless to say I really do like this movie.

When re-watching it yesterday I really enjoyed seeing characters like Gregory Peck and David Niven again. They are part of a time when movie characters could be funny, strong and quite macho without being totally overdone and foul-mouthed. David Niven as well as a few of the other characters are just great with their British "stiff upper lip" attitude and British humor.

The story is a rather classical World War 2 adventure story even though it is based on an actual event. Most of the movie is the initial spy-adventure with Gregory Peck and Roger Moore followed by the preparations and boat ride into the neutral harbor of Goa. These are really the best part of the movie where the characters are really making the movie.

When the action starts at the end of the movie the characters themselves kind of get hidden behind the action which, quite frankly, is not top quality. Like many older movies these parts are a bit cartoonish, illogical and certainly not very realistic. The special effects are also, not surprisingly, up to modern standards. I never figured out what the German captain really expected to achieve with oil drums on the deck by the way. I guess it made some nice fiery scenes at the end though.

For me, watching this movie again yesterday, that was two very enjoyable hours.
½ January 26, 2013
Good Old Fashioned War Move. Love the cast and the classic storyline. Cheerio!
½ January 6, 2013
A fun movie even if 1970s attire, and post World War II cars and trucks, are seen throughout what is supposed to be a story set in 1940s India.
½ October 15, 2012
Monday, October 15, 2012

(1981) The Sea Wolves

Depicting a particular time in WWII history in which theirs a small group of Special Operatives Executives who are a bunch of senior men rallying together in combating some Nazis hiding in neutral waters in Goa, Turkey succeeding in transmiting signals against sinking many hidden allied war ships. The movie stars Gregory Peck, Roger Moore and David Niven portraying real life characters on a mission that was not divulge to the open public but are finally made into a film based on a book written by James Leasor from actual transcripts and directed by Andrew V. McLaglen director of some John Wayne Westerns.

It's main problem is that for a film that is two hours it sometimes feels way too long that at times one may want the story to move right along cutting to the chase for it drags.
Upon seeing this film a long time ago while flipping the channels as a young kid, initially thought I was watching Roger Moore playing the James Bond role again but was disappointed that he wasn't, but upon rewatching it again as I'm older realized that his persona is similar to it without doing very much except to act in the same movie with some veterans as Peck and Niven. If it wasn't based on true events would've given this film a mediocre rating for it's entertaining value since it sometimes feels lifeless.

3 out of 4
½ August 17, 2012
Watchable, but only just. Predictable without any wolves!
January 24, 2012
It has all the ingredients to be something great, except a well-written script and decent editing. Disappointing waste of talent.
November 19, 2010
Great Movie. Shot along the western coast of India. Familiar sites. Acting was superb. Very daring.
½ September 27, 2010
Good old Fashioned fun
They certainly dont make em like this anymore
November 8, 2004
November 27, 2007
Gregory Peck does a decent job in this very unrecognized war film; go ahead, ask your buddy if he/she has ever seen The Sea Wolves. I'll bet you the answer is no.