Slipstream Reviews

½ September 6, 2010
I really enjoyed this sci-fi adventure movie, I was pleasantly surprised to find Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker!) playing the bad guy. The story and actors are good, it's exciting and really cool. I highly recommend it.
September 29, 2009
Great cast, great story, it just fails to hit the mark which is a shame really!
garyX
January 13, 2007
Curiously strong cast for such a dull post apocalyptic Mad Max rip off that reeks of "straight-to-video"
DrLappos
½ July 18, 2008
Enjoyed this one....really well done for its time.
½ July 1, 2008
Cast helps gives this a lift.
September 11, 2007
While this had an overall good premise, the movie could have been better. A bit weak on the production and acting.
½ July 18, 2007
A great cast but a lousy film budget. Might have been so much more if they would have put more than $25 into it.
March 14, 2007
This is why I go out of my way to find bad movies. Because sometimes, they're not so bad. The other day I bought three double DVDs for a buck each-- six movies for three dollars. One of those movies was SLIPSTREAM, and, as far as I'm concerned, that one paid for the whole thing.

An odd little Sci Fi film with Bill Paxton and Mark Hamill, it was made in England with what I think of as "Dr. Who effects"-- the visuals were rather cheesy, but the script is good and it has some fine acting. The story isn't really much-- bounty hunters chasing each other across a post-apocolyptic Earth-- but the characters are well handled. Paxton is so much fun to watch, and Hamill makes a suprisingly sinister villian. I won't say it's a diamond in the rough, but it's a solid piece of craftsmanship inexplicably buried in the dump bin. If you run across it at your local Video Hut, it's worth checking out.
July 7, 2015
20% on the Tomatometer? Fuck you! It's got something special. Three stars.
½ April 5, 2014
75%

"Man against nature, and we lost. I could have told them that up front, but nobody asked me."-Matt Owens (Bill Paxton)
½ February 1, 2013
I really didn't think it was that bad. The plot is a bit stale, slow at some points, and a bit long, but not really too boring. There's a lot of known actors that haven't been in a lot of films, so the acting isn't awful. There are some confusing moments and lots of plot holes, but it's an enjoyable little sci-fi film with likable characters and good moments. The ending could of been a bit better though.
January 31, 2013
This should have been so much better because the underlying premise is so intriguing and the actors are of high calibre, but as it is the philosophy is somewhat hampered by a few rather campy scenes and music production. If Cameron Crowe had directed Blade Runner it would probably have ended up like this.
January 28, 2013
what did I just watch?
½ December 23, 2012
At first I thought it would be a dud but after watching it I liked it. Very well done airplane scenes and lots of action. A little hammy at times but a solid storyline.
May 3, 2012
Saw this movie quite some time ago, came across this recently and had to watch it again. It's not very good but I find it rather interesting. Bad dialogue frequently, and the story is inconsistent but the visuals were rather cool. The landscape was possibly the best part of the movie. Hammill sucked, his character was awful, Paxton was crap for the most part but got slightly interesting in the end. Very much enjoyed Peck's character, found him interesting, but don't expect a lot form tjis flick.
½ April 30, 2012
For some reason I often return to Slipstream. It's a movie I loved as a kid and the older I get the more I realise what's wrong with it. It's stodgily told and a lot of the production values have depreciated over time.... but something lures me back time and again. I love the aesthetic and the setting. It takes place on a post apocalyptic Earth where a global catastrophe has rendered the planet almost uninhabitable. All thats left are rugged ridges and windswept canyons. A bounty hunter kidnaps a murderer from police for a large reward and much of the film is about being on the run. Some great themes and the concept it original. This was the follow up film for director Steven Lisberger who has just made Tron at the time. Expectations were high and you get the feeling that he was out of his depth. The cast are good with Bob Peck, Bill Paxton, Mark Hamill, Ben Kingsley & F Murray Abraham (how's that for a lineup?) but the movie ultimately never really gels.... nevertheless it remains a simple treat that I go back for. Its one of the rare instances then I would suggest the benefits of a good remake. This deserves to be done well!
December 10, 2007
pretty fun movie
the most underrated sci-fi flick along with Alien4
November 6, 2010
Still trying to figure out if I love or hate this movies. There are moments when it seems ready to be amazing, but then it goes and cuts a fart. Kitty Aldridge was pretty darn good. Ben Kingsley came out of nowhere.
March 26, 2006
[color=black][font=Tahoma]I should preface with saying that I enjoy bad movies and picked this one out of the dollar bin at my local grocery store if that tells you anything.[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Tahoma]In the future a massive wind known as the ?slipstream? has blown most of civilization off of the planet. The survivors of this storm have banded together in different groups. Bill Paxton (Aliens) plays a free spirited jock just trying to get by. [/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Tahoma]Mark Hamill (Star Wars) is a perplexing bounty hunter who is hot on the trail of a stuffed shirt cyborg that?s wanted for murder. Its one part Mad-Max, one part Blade Runner, shaken and stripped of any sense. Wind worshiping cults and the not so slick one-liners...[/font]

[/color]
[color=black][font=Tahoma]This movie suffers from some really poor editing and it destroys the continuity. A third of the film is padded out with aerial photography which makes one wonder if the producer didn?t come up with this idea during one of his private flight lessons. [/font][/color]

[color=black][/color]
[color=black][font=Tahoma]Sitting through it?s worth it on this one as the climax reeks of B-movie splendor. Full of laughs, squirms and guffaws.[/font][/color]

[font=Tahoma]Sorry Mark, not enough Force buddy.[/font]
November 3, 2005
Well, I am not quite sure why I am so off the norm on this film. I thought it was rather a clever film, some surprisingly good special effects. It has some welcome touches of humor. The basic premise is fascinating. It is a bit sloppily made, gut I found it interesting for the most part.