42% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Stakeout Reviews

Lucas M

May 7, 2011
Stakeout is a passable movie, not very good, but exciting and funny.
Ken S

May 16, 2007
One or two fun moments, but overall not the best (or worst) entry into the buddy cop genre. The fight in the saw mill at the end is well done.
AJ V

May 31, 2011
I've seen a lot of these detective romance movies recently, but this one was the most fun. Not just because I love Emilio either. It's exciting and fast paced, and the romance is realistic, but funny. I really enjoyed this movie, and I'd recommend seeing it.
Jens S

July 16, 2006
Not having seen this film for quite a while I did not remember how much it is based in the 80s. That starts with the soundtrack and ends with the look of the characters. How many films can you think of with the two main characters wearing mustaches? Exactly. However, the main idea of cops having to stake out an escaped prisoner's ex and how they develop this (one of them falling for her) is still a pleasure to watch and sometimes hilariously funny. The great showdown is back to real thriller action, so the movie works on both levels really well. If you don't mind a trip back to the 80s, that is...
Dean !

January 3, 2007
A funny cop buddy movie.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 7, 2007
richard dreyfuss and emilio estevez make a great team
garyX
garyX

March 8, 2007
Richard Dreyfuss brings an unusual amount of lightly comic charm to the usual buddy cop formula, but don't expect anything wildly different from every other film of this type.
deano
deano

November 8, 2006
Brilliant action-comedy film as Richard Dreyfuss gets rather more heavily involved with the object of his and partner Emilio Estevez's surveillance than police regulations usually permit.
James A

March 13, 2006
Not even the mighty Emilio can wear a mustach
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

April 3, 2011
Oooh, I love my job, I love it so much!

Seattle cops Chris (Emilio Estevez) and Bill (Richard Dreyfuss) are assigned to stakeout the home of an ex-girlfriend Maria of an escaped con to see if he will turn up there. Complications arise when Bill "violates procedure" and falls for the slippery con's old flame, played by the sexy Madeleine Stowe. Aiden Quinn is effective as psychopathic boyfriend/con who is on his way to Seattle to pay Maria a visit to get something that 'belongs' to him. Dan Lauria and Forrest Whitaker as the other cop pair that alternate stakeout duties with Chris and Bill.
Lee K

April 6, 2009
all around pretty good movie. we dont get to see much of Emilio Estevez anymore now i know alot of you are probably saying good, but i enjoyed his movies and this one has some laughs and stands out more due to the fact that Richard dreyfuss is in it.
iLeo
iLeo

November 30, 2007
Although an odd pair, Estevez and Dreyfuss are hilarious in this film. Filled with tons of laughter.
July 28, 2012
The Mustachache is a little distracting, but the rest is jam packed with action, comedy, and even a little romance.
jjb3332003
March 20, 2009
This movie has grown on me; a bit lighter than the typical buddy cop movie; good for some mindless entertainment.
August 13, 2007
Funny, and you get to see a VERY young Aidan Quinn (I didn't even know it was him until the movie was almost over).
Sandman1968
August 4, 2014
Sometimes the chemistry between the right two stars is all it takes to sell a pedestrian and predictable story, and few movies put that to the test better than "Stakeout". The unlikely pairing of Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez must have sounded like a tough sell, but their relationship is the big draw in this fairly predictable picture and turns it into a pleasant surprise,

The two actors play off of each other marvelously and are clearly having a great time as the film itself shifts through about a half dozen genres. The constantly shifting tones only ensures that you will never be bored. It is essentially a buddy cop movie, and the stars keep it fresh while veteran filmmaker John Badham keeps things energetic and surprisingly light despite some seedy and needlessly violent moments.

The screenplay is chock full of cliches, but writer Jim Kouf can be quite imaginative when he needs to be and he keeps coming up with clever bits to keep the proceedings enjoyable. A great example is the scene where Dreyfuss sleeps over at Madeleine Stowe's place for the first time. And speaking of Stowe, she is radiant here giving a breakthrough performance. It's a shame that her star didn't shine brighter and longer, but co-star Aidan Quinn isn't given much to do with his stock character. His main function is to throw violence into what is basically an entertaining piece of '80's fluff.

"Stakeout" is a well made film, short on laughs but big on smiles, with two great lead actors who carry this a long way.
July 26, 2014
Stakeout. One of everybody's favorite movies starring Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez.
June 28, 2010
a funny film well directed. Richard Dreyfuss gives a joyful performance
August 16, 2013
Two words: Madeleine Stowe.
November 13, 2012
i was not a good fan of it