—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Taming of the Shrew Reviews

Apeneck F

April 22, 2012
"Too many words," I complained while a youth first exposed to the Bard and so voiced the tedium I felt under the deluge of verbiage, poetry or no, accustomed to dusty cowpokes who spoke only in monosyllables between gunfights or, say, gangsters who rattled curses like machine gunfire ... until this lively Zeffirelli production was shown me. And its still my fav Shakespeare, embodied with hew and vigor, muscle and blood and bone by Burton and Taylor in my fav film by them. Inspires me to take 30 minutes to say "I love you!" A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
This is a great adaptation of a Shakespeare play. The actors are great, and work together well. It's very funny and enjoyable and I recommend this movie.
mwilliams078
mwilliams078

January 26, 2008
I love this version of Shakepeare's Taming of the Shrew...well I am partial to one of my fav's being in this...Liz Taylor. Richard Burton and Liz Taylor were not just great offscreen but onscreen together as well. My favorite film teaming Burton and Taylor for sure!
constanzaboutter
constanzaboutter

July 2, 2009
The film stars real-life husband and wife Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor, then the hottest celebrity couple in the world.
The themes of male chauvinism and feminism which underpin the comedic plot are brought out in a way that would have made the film instantly relevant to a 1960s audience. Provocative satire in sexual politics in the late 16th century. The fact that the play still resonates and can raise a smile suggests that things haven?t changed much in the past four hundred years vis--vis male-female relationships.
Sunil J

September 11, 2007
Elizabeth Taylor's best role. So perfect as Kate.
jimbotender
jimbotender

November 15, 2008
Zeffirelli at his hilltop symposium.Enticing and uplifting in most parts,Shakespeare would be utterly pleased from the final result no matter how theatrical it appears.There's faith on the endless bout of the sexes and a reconciliation in a (assured) comedic matter.Costumes and art direction are shining but what strikes most is the aggressive formation of...the couple's performance!!!A rich adaptation lacking that certain something for a complete 10!
iLeo
iLeo

December 25, 2007
Great!
May 13, 2012
Burton and Taylor at their best---great story by Shakespeare. They both are great in this movie of a unusual relationship that grows into love.
Maggie9731
April 3, 2011
art s

February 8, 2009
ammusing... but liz was a little too crazy, in my opinion. and like any movie that you have to watch in school, it was slightly boring.

funny, but a little boring.
ladyivee
March 23, 2008
Liz Taylor is an excellent shew, and Richard Burton an excellent lout. Good fun all around, even if you're not a fan of The Bard.
January 18, 2008
OMG...what can I say. You have to see this movie. It's action...it's comedy, in spite of the Old-English poetry. I absolutely love it because I've been this woman. Fiesty and challenging...and afraid to be humbled (or rather subdued) by any man! It showed me that the fruit of a gentle woman is far better than that of a cantankerous one. The message is timeless and teaches one of the principles that changed the direction of my life in highschool for the better. It's a must-see for every man and a must-have for every woman. :0)
joyndick
December 21, 2007
Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton were outstanding together on and off the set. It shows in their acting.
June 16, 2007
One of my favorite plays, and the movie is a delightful adaptation. Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton have a great chemistry, and I love her as Kate. Definitely stood the test of time.
MovieGuruDude72
June 8, 2007
Taylor and Burton were always fighting and it rubbed off on their character work in every movie they did together. It flabbergasts me that Liz had such a freaking ego. How does she ever get that giant head onto a sound stage?
lavenderfawn
April 7, 2007
Like Cleopatra, Burton & Taylor have awesome chemistry...but this movie really takes the cake! And it's Shakespeare!
JasmineDarkly
December 7, 2006
One of my favorite films from Shakespeare's works. The only movie I stole from my high school library.
starlett2005
August 10, 2014
The Taming of the Shrew is an excellent film. It is about fortune-hunting scoundrel Petruchio tames his wealthy shrewish wife, Katharina. Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton give fantastic performances. The screenplay is well written. Franco Zeffirelli did a great job directing this movie job. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. The Taming of the Shrew is a must see.
July 11, 2014
Franco Zeffirelli cast Burton & Taylor in this movie after seeing them brawling in the streets of Dublin. As in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, the tempestuous off-screen passion of the couple makes for on-screen fireworks. The perfect meeting of material and stars.