Target

Added: May 9, 2008

Target Reviews

FiLmCrAzY FiLmCrAzY
April 14, 2009
i found it slow and boring turned it of about half hour into it!
Stephen M
½ March 24, 2008
A generally underappreciated thriller, which is a bit like a cross between "True Lies" and "Frantic". Gene Hackman plays a former CIA agent whose past catches up with him when his wife is kidnapped in Paris. Heretofore dismissed as a boring old fart by his teenage son (Matt Dillon), Hackman's exotic past and unsuspected resourcefulness are revealed as they strive to get their loved one back. Yes, it's a bit silly and the plot is alternately predictable and puzzling, so that I was repeatedly either two steps ahead or completely baffled, but the film is lifted by the quality of its performances and its superb use of locations. Dillon delivers a winning blend of surly rebelliousness and vulnerability, and Hackman is extraordinary, lending complexity and credibility to a character who could so easily have seemed ridiculous, in lesser hands. The genuine tenderness of Dillon and Hackman's father-son relationship is highly unusual, giving "Target" a distinctive flavour, unlike that of any other movie I can think of. It isn't another "Night Moves", but it's better than you might expect.
Critique Threatt Critique Threatt
½ April 13, 2010
Not one of Arthur Penn's best. I'm not sure if it was the director's goal to make this feel like "The French Connection" or "Bullet" but "Target" doesn't hit the bullseye and fails on every level. Not good.
jim222001us jim222001us
½ May 16, 2009
Why does it say this is from 2003 ? lol. This movie is pretty old.
greywind86 greywind86 ½ February 20, 2007
I caught this one morning on AMC and it was funny to see Gene Hackman and Matt Dillon pair up as father and son. I thought it was pretty good.
Dave J Dave J ½ September 6, 2013
Friday, September 6, 2013

(1985) Target
ACTION MYSTERY THRILLER

Directed by Arthur Penn who doesn't really know how to direct an action nor a suspense thriller. Anyone thinking that "Taken" was the first movie to have the idea about "oh, I didn't know that you used to work for the CIA" should check out this movie as well since I think this was the first to have to done that except that "Taken" was much more enjoyable. Luc Besson may have seen this movie and inspired him to make his own without making it complicated. The set up has both father and son played by Matt Dillon and Gene Hackman seeing their mom/ wife off for a business trip somewhere in Paris. They then get a phone call saying that she has just been kidnapped. They both then decide to find the mother together. What Dillon didn't know was that the Gene Hackman character used to work for the CIA, and at first didn't really believe him. Although, this is more of a directors movie, it's similar to his other film called "Little Big Man" saying that this direction is much effective in a critically acclaimed Arthur Penn movie such as "Bonnie And Clyde" but not to a kidnapping film which demands 'suspense' because as viewers are watching this it's like drama then a little suspense and then more drama and then thriller and then more drama etc... The acting chops particularly the Gene Hackman character is what keeps this movie afloat, and interesting to watch despite the twists. Overall, it can still be a forgettable watch.

3 out of 4 stars
Critique Threatt Critique Threatt
½ April 13, 2010
xcrunnerjd xcrunnerjd ½ May 16, 2008
Silly situations and few surprises.

Hackman simply doesn't work well as a spy, and what's more is the whole spy aspect of the movie is kind of funny. Maybe I've seen to many Bond films, but this one just doesn't have that quality.

I understand and enjoy foreshadowing in movies, but this one gave things away a little too easily. The ending was ridiculously easy to call, as well as a few of the other situations.
vic40186 vic40186 June 1, 2005
:fresh: [color=darkorange]Arthur Penn has directed some spectacular films: Bonnye and Clyde and Little Big Man, this film doesn't reach the level, however the movie catches you and impresses you with the performances, a clever screenplay, the story is very seen but it accomplishes it's proposal.[/color]
[color=#ff8c00][/color]
[color=#ff8c00]Matt Dillon is a convincent teenager and Gene Hackman convinces you he is an ordinary man and then, they make a great performance as the retired CIA agent.[/color]
[color=#ff8c00][/color]