The Ten Commandments - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ten Commandments Reviews

½ May 30, 2014
In the 1950's, big, bold ambitious epics were the norm, The Ten Commandments being one of the most famous films of the era, I quite enjoyed the film, but for me, my favorite epic is Ben-Hur. Nonetheless, this film is quite the undertaking to watch, but the performances are really what keeps you involved for the nearly four hour run time. The film has a grand story, and it boasts some impressive visuals, which for its time were quite the feat in the cinematic medium, but still hold up to this day. The Ten Commandments is a blistering picture, one that is beautifully shot, with grand, ambitious storytelling and exceptional performances. This film is one of the most engrossing film experiences that I have seen, and it's a definite classic. However, I must warn potential viewers that you must be committed in seeing this one due to its length, and it's not for everyone either. I enjoyed the movie, and I found it to be one of the best films of the genre. However, I preferred Ben-Hur a bit more. Also the film could have been a little shorter as well. Nonetheless the film is superb in every way, and the storytelling here is ambitious, and it's a compelling picture that certainly is a feat in filmmaking. The Ten Commandments is a near perfect picture that is more captivating due to its performances from its cast, and each actor brings something unique to make the film truly something remarkable. The film is worth seeing if you're a diehard film fanatic that loves all sorts of genres, and in terms of epics, this is certainly one of the biggest along with Ben-Hur, and countless others that followed. This film set the standards of filmmaking even further and it succeeds quite well at grabbing your attention, and it is a riveting, sweeping picture that you soon won't forget. However, it is a long movie, and at times you're anxious for the film to conclude, but you're invested deeply at the same time due to the very good story and great acting that you see unfolds before your eyes. Seeing The Ten Commandments, you realize that movies where they tend to focus on big, gripping and ambitious storytelling and that's the best type of films to watch.
May 27, 2011
A ceremonious 4 star.
Watching the Red-sea parting sequence, you just cant stop wondering how they achieved that, with the kind of technology they had in the 50s.
July 14, 2007
practically everyone i've ever known has seen this film at least once as network television used to show it twice a year. cecil b. demille's denunciation of the sinful life while gloriously wallowing in it is nonetheless glorious, a big movie that has BIG implanted into it's very DNA, hollywood style grandeur and fun.
April 24, 2011
I was bored through most of this. Its so long and cheesy. I know its old and I enjoyed parts of it but I was falling asleep by the end of it but come on its almost 4 hours.

Grade: C
michael e.
½ December 31, 2010
The movie was very, VERY long to sit through and by the time it was done i thought it was OK it wasn't as good as the "Prince of Egypt" but i thought it was pretty good
½ September 5, 2010
I know it's a remake and I'd love to see the original, but this movie is still worth watching if not for the spectacle, then for the all star cast, or the brilliant way the story is brought to life.
December 13, 2009
This is the only The Ten Commandments version I like to watch. The Remakes or the recent version are just nothing comparing to this one.
½ May 14, 2007
I will admit, I was nodding off by the end of it, but this is still a great movie. Yes, it's incredibly hammy, but that's sort of the point isn't it? The sets are opulent, the colours just pop off the screen, the score is enchanting and the acting... well, they tried hard... a signpost film, in the running with Ben-Hur for the title of "template of the modern epic". Stagy and dated by now, but something you simply must see once... even if it will take four hours!
September 7, 2007
I will have to rewatch this one as it has been so long since I have seen it.
March 28, 2007
Very silly
January 25, 2007
a grand epic in every measure. there were problems with this film, demille told more of the parts to the story that are less sure than he did the parts that are recorded in Scripture, the actors hammed it up a little too much, and the melo drama took a greater role than the plagues. but the film was highly reverential, the sets, costumes, and cinematography were excellent, and the effects were great for a film in the late 50's. all in all, despite the story changes and innaccuracies, this is great story telling and an overall wonderful film.
March 1, 2008
Epic in every sense.
September 24, 2007
May 5, 2007
Pompous, self-important swords and sandals epic bearing all the hallmarks of Cecil B. DeMille's penchant for stagey self indulgence. It has a quality cast, but I'd have to be mighty bored to sit through the whole of this long winded bible thumpathon...
April 7, 2007
Moses: Let my people go.

This is a grand scale epic. A prestige picture from back in the 50s, made with larger than life sets, costumes, production designs and state of the art effects for the time.

It has Charlton Heston as the great, tan, strong Moses and Yul Brynner as the counter-balance Rhameses.

The characters, as with the production are all larger than life and it all works for a giant biblical epic, recounting the story of the Hebrew slaves being freed by Moses from Egypt.

The movie is nearly 4 hours long, epic in length, and is the kind of movie that one would only watch once a year, so it's a good thing it always comes on during the time of passover.

Despite its length, the film is still extremely watchable, it takes its time, but is done on such a grand scale that it does not matter much.

A great epic tale.
April 6, 2007
most of the acting is incredibly arch but somehow its still highly watchable and the special effects are pretty good considering the age of the film
February 16, 2007
A classic that was always playing on tv when I was a kid. Really long though.
January 14, 2007