Them! Reviews

November 29, 2012
Fantastic 50s science fiction film depicting the true, unthought-out terrors of the nuclear war.
TheDudeLebowski65
October 5, 2012
Them! Is one of the classic horror films of the 50's. Films like this are a must see for horror fans everywhere as this is a flawless monster film that has a lot to offer to the genre. In the 50ès there were countless monster flicks that came out, and all of them brought something unique to the table. These films make look dated by today's standards, but man are they fun. The over the top story is what makes this picture so good. I mean killer giant ants, just what a cool concept for a film. Gordon Douglas is a great director and he directs a strong cast here that all bring something to the screen. The plot keeps you entertained from start to finish. This is the perfect film to watch if you love monster movies. Classic Sci Fi horror doesn't get any better than this. I really enjoyed this film, and the sheer originality of the movie's concept is what makes this one such a timeless classic. Them! Is a perfect film to watch during the Halloween season, and it definitely delivers something that horror fans will certainly cherish. Nowadays they don't make films like this anymore and despite its cheesy looking special effects, this film still stands the test of time because of its cast, well written script and the sheer entertainment value it offers the viewer. This is among the best monster flicks that I've seen, and like others in the era, it has stood the test of time as a terrific, original and highly entertaining nearly sixty years after it was released.
FilmFanatik
½ February 29, 2012
I seriously didn't know what to make of Them! when I first saw it. On the one hand it's probably one of the more better made sci-fi B movies from this era, but then on the other hand it tends to be pretty boring. There's some heavy emphasis on plot: what the characters are doing, where they're going, what they have to, ecetera. There aren't that many scenes physically involving the atomic ants, and probably for good reason. I'm sure they realized that people would just find them silly (and they did), but it doesn't make for a very exciting time at the movies. Then again, perhaps I'm just reading to much into it. It's not a pile of crap or anything. The dialogue is mediocre to terrible at times (despite a few decent moments) and the acting isn't award-winning either. It just is what it is. Most of the time I prefer my monsters in the shadows as that tends to make them scarier and more interesting, but in this type of movie, I want my monster right out front where I can see it and often. I didn't get that with Them! which was why it was mostly just disappointing.
August 11, 2011
A Great horror film with a wonderful screenplay and a message anti-war that gonna fascinate the audience, until the people that in beginning don't expect too much. Fresh.
rayman0071
December 21, 2010
The hallmark of the great monster movies of the 1950's is one of the best from that genre. "Them!",a chiller about giant mutant ants terrorizing a nearby town that was so good, initial efforts to film it in color and 3-D were scrapped. Tight and suspenseful today and it was when audiences went to see it in 1954,it pits James Whitmore along with James Arness and Edmund Gwenn against a force that has razed a desert town. These giant ants were scary......very scary indeed.
½ September 5, 2010
Watch out! What is it? Oh, those are just ants... This movie is silly, and started the trend of giant creatures attacking people, which was a popular theme in the fifties, mostly for the spectacle of it. Not a great movie, but pretty cool looking.
jjnxn
September 20, 2007
Enjoyable earnest for it's day, now campy, sci-fi thriller about giant ants. Well directed and played completely straight by a cast of familiar actors with no sense of irony which makes it all the better. Edmund Gwenn is marvelous as the scientist with all the answers.
rubystevens
January 1, 2009
the original 'giant monsters caused by radiation' film from the 50's. the creatures look fake of course but it's still fun. a big influence on spielberg among others
November 1, 2008
A very good B movie film about giant ants!
garyX
½ March 27, 2007
Classic 50s B-movie in which the ever reliable atom bomb spawns a plague of oversized ants bent on the destruction of humanity. The scenes in which the US army invade the ants underground passageways to destroy them is actually rather well done, and it was obviously a big influence on James Cameron's Aliens.
½ August 2, 2013
Them! is one of the earliest and by far the best monster films of the atomic age. I couldn't possibly sum it up as well as the consensus, the acting was great, script was fantastic at building suspense without showing any campiness. Them! relied more on story line then silly monster designs unlike all the kitsch that followed it and try to rip off people. Them! is definitely a classic and a must see.
Francisco G.
½ March 4, 2012
Probably one of the best creature flicks from the 50s, it still holds to this date with a very good script, smart allegories (the ant documentary scene is still spectacular), good ambiance, adequate acting and tight pacing. Obviously the monstrosities are a bit laughable now but fortunently they're only used here and there and the main focus is still on the story and nuclear paranoia the USA were living.
Dracula787
½ January 5, 2009
Recently I?ve been playing a videogame called Fallout 3, which takes place in a post apocalyptic wasteland which has sort of a 1950s aesthetic to it. One of the side quests in the game involved fighting off fire birthing ants, this mission is called ?Those!? I knew what this was a reference to, but I hadn?t actually seen the movie. Oddly enough, that night I noticed the film was playing on TCM, naturally I had to tune in. This is without a doubt the definitive giant radioactive ant movie, for whatever that?s worth. The effects are bad and the symbolism is hardly subtle, but it has a decent atmosphere and it is emblematic of what sci-fi/horror films from the 50s were all about. Compare it to Godzilla and it doesn?t seem that great, compare it to the average MST3K fare from the era and it doesn?t look that bad.
alanjayh
½ October 11, 2008
Solid acting especially by Whitmore can't escape the silly premise set forth..a terrific beginning quickly deteriorates once the giant ants show themsleves. From that point, the mystery and suspense factor vanishes...all that is missing is a giant boot to squash the insects. Better call the Orkin man!
August 23, 2012
I know this is an old movie but it still is a good movie to watch. James Arnaz (Matt Dillion/Gun Smoke) stars in it,back in the day that he used his real name (James Witmore) and the movie was actually a box office hit, in 1954. It was considered the best special effects of its time and viewing it today, you can see why it was such a success. I would recommend this movie to anyone who is a true sci-fi inthusist. After the first 10 minutes it will keep you interested right up to the end.
January 18, 2012
This monster movie from the 50s B-science fiction monster movie boom is one of the better of its kind, in which testing of the atomic bomb created giant ants that eat people! It's premise is good fun, but it is also fairly well made, despite a budget that was cut just before shooting to make the film move from 3-D and Color to black and white. I think they did the best they could with the budget cuts, and it is still a pretty solid monster movie, a lot of fun too.
½ March 23, 2011
Science Fiction fans all remember this one! Atomic radiation makes a mound of common desert ants grow to colossal proportions with the queens flying off to set up more colonies all over the world. The final confrontation happens in the drainage tunnels beneath Los Angeles. James Whitmore, Edmund Gwenn, Joan Weldon, James Arness, and even a cameo by Leonard Nimoy. First class Monster movie, considered one of the best ever made!
January 30, 2010
I watched this movie because of a mission on the game Fallout 3 called "Those!" The mission apparently was inspired by this movie. This film is a great work and is thuroughly enjoyable. A prime example of 50's era horror! Much better than almost everything that passes for film nowadays.
½ September 20, 2009
Yep, had to go to the way-back machine. It?s good to watch some of the old classics like this. And I had never seen it before, so it was refreshing. And it is very innovative in its story telling, which may be very-much ahead of its time. It goes from procedural cop movie to sci-fi blockbuster. Of course, we all know its about giant ants, but everything from the out of nowhere ?scares? to scientific background to panic in the streets to expendable main character (not really much of a spoiler), I didn?t think that such an old movie could mash it all in. It is fun, and that?s all anyone can ask of a movie.

Monster movies haven?t changed much, but it seems like some stray too far from this concept and just aren?t very good anymore (remember the US Godzilla?). But movies like this have a certain charm to them. When old movies are good (old for me being pre 62), they just jump higher on my charts. Partly because I love movies and have slight links to filmmaking through family and experience, but it?s a nice homage to the ancestors I try to extol. This is one of those.
July 31, 2009
The mid-50's was the absolute prime for horror/sci-fi classics. The Creature From The Black Lagoon, The Day The Earth Stood Still, and Them! This was a very unique film. The first half is a detective mystery which quickly turns into a sci-fi creature flick. i quite enjoyed both parts and thought the change worked well. I was very surprised how scary Them! was. One of the creepiest parts was towards the beginning when the little girl finally awakens screaming. Also, when 'them' were first seen by the viewers was extremely scary. This was just a terrific film with one heck of an amazing climax.