50% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Top Secret! Reviews

Spencer S

January 5, 2012
If you are aware of the Zucker brothers' particular oeuvre, then you already know that this film is immature, hilarious, and is definitely worth watching. That is not to say that this film is immature in the sense that it remains juvenile, but instead is so by making fun of the odd and unordinary, and therefore has jokes that are questionable when it comes to their surreal quality, but always make you laugh. This film makes fun of both espionage films; especially those that were set in foreign countries at the height of the Second World War. This film also, weirdly enough, makes fun of Elvis Presley's musicals of the sixties by having lead actor Val Kilmer play a bodacious singer who can really dance, tapped to sing for the leader of East Germany, who, along with all the citizens of the country, are depicted as Nazis. There is a complete disregard for time, so this film comes off as very anachronistic and strange. That being said, there are a lot of specific choices in the depiction of language, including rewinding dialogue and pretending it's Swedish, and then having actors speak, and signs say, things in Yiddish that are represented as German. This film feels fresh thanks to it being the ZAZ's second theatrical release, and takes a lot of chances that always seem to pay off. They chose Val Kilmer as their lead, in his first movie role. He is an expert at dancing, sings rather well, and delivers a very interesting and funny performance that really astounded me. Other great cameos include Omar Sharif as Cedric in a rare onscreen appearance, Peter Cushing as a Swedish bookstore owner in a rewound scene that has since become infamous, and Michael Gough as the German romantic interest's father. This film is chock full of some classic and insanely funny sight gags, references, and parodies of classic films, and in itself wins every time.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 10, 2012
Top Secret! Is a pretty funny comedy from the directors of Airplane! The film successfully parodies many espionage films, and has plenty of laughs. The film starts off slow, but as it progresses, it becomes funnier. The cast do a fine job at delivering the laughs. This was made back when spoof films were great. Although not as funny as Airplane, this film still has enough good moments to make it a comedy worth seeing. The cast do a fine job here, and they each bring something funny to the screen. Directors Jim Abrahams and David Zucker direction is good and they are able to keep the jokes consistent and spontaneous, Top Secret is a good film, one that is memorable and lots of fun from start to finish. This is one of the funnier films with Val Kilmer, and it's so much better than his recent role in McGruber. Top Secret is a well crafted comedy that is a must see for spoof film fans. This was made back when spoofs were great, and actually funny. Not unlike today where spoofs go gross-out humor and popular culture references just for the sake of trying to create something funny, this one is witty and comical and it gets better as the films plot unwinds. Though not as good as Airplane, this is nonetheless a worthwhile comedy worth watching. Top Secret is a hilarious film, one that has a few flaws, but for the most part succeeds at being a worthy film to watch. Top Secret is definitely one of the best spoof films that I have seen, and with a great cast and directors who have a great script, it's definitely worth checking out.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 17, 2009
Wow I dont believe I was so bored with a Movie which was directed by Zucker/Abrahams. There was only one and really one scene that I laughed my socks off, but I saw it coming. I think they were on Pot when the script for the Movie was written.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
Another spoof movie from the makers of Airplane, but this one is no where near as good. It's okay, but unfunny for the most part.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 21, 2010
Absolutely genius. Laugh after stomach hurting laugh.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

December 24, 2007
Funny at times, but not a real classic in my book.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
The Zucker / Abrahams / Zucker team that brought us The Naked Gun and Airplane showed their talent in this early work, a hilariously funny espionage thriller parody. I wished I could go back and relive the experience of watching this film for the first time, and how I almost fell off the couch from laughing. Surely, it didn't age as well as other films but it's still pretty damn funny. Odd that it didn't get the recognition of the other films, especially since it introduced a young Val Kilmer. Full of unbelievably silly, stupid and funny ideas that will still make you laugh days later just thinking about them. A comedy classic.
Cassandra M

November 6, 2009
An American rock and roll idol goes behind the iron curtain (while there was one!) for a culture fest but instead becomes involved in the resistance movement.

Forget about the film itself, the very idea of an Elvis Presley movie being mixed with a French resistance film and produced by the Airplane! crew is enough for laugh number one. Not only is this a bizarre world but seems to be playing games with time and history, the communist East Germany being portrayed as a kind of war time Nazi set-up!

Kilmer does well with an impossible role to the point where you wonder if he didn't miss his vocation. He can sing and dance better than many real singers and he proved in The Doors that he is really a major musical force. Strangely it is rumoured that he didn't realise this was a satire!

The stupidity of many Elvis movies and those Saturday morning children's reels (scientist and beautiful daughter) are taken to the cleaners and you have fantastic sight gags. The "falling guard" gag is one of the best sight gags in the history of movies - I challenge anyone not to laugh at it.

I enjoy a stupid movie every now and then and admit I enjoyed this one. Clearly the authors know little about German history or European culture and the little they do know seems cribbed from watching bad B movies on the subject, but what the hell. This is too stupid for anyone to get seriously uptight about. "How silly can you get?" sings Kilmer at one point in the film: Maybe a little, but not that much!
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

May 8, 2007
1984 sure was a good year. Not only was I born then but it was also the year that gifted us great comedies such as Ghostbusters, Beverly Hills Cop and Police Academy. Among said classics was also this one, Top Secret, a spoof flick by the creators of Airplane, that truly puts today's parody films to shame (yes, I'm looking at you Epic Movie, Date Movie and Meet the Spartans).

I mean, call me crazy, but it seems all good comedy writers either died off or retired during the 90's, and thus left their thrones to lesser talents, whom now has come to plague us with an overexcessive use of slapstick, cheap under-the-belt humor and poorly written jokes. I wonder if we'll ever see the glory of old restored.
Tim S

July 30, 2007
Kilmer should do more comedies. The guy is fucking hilarious.
Dean !

July 10, 2007
A great spoof film from the same team behind The Naked Gun and Airplane! films. Very funny!
Lady D

April 1, 2007
I kind of remembered this film being funnier in it's day, but there are still some very funny parts.
Tim B

February 27, 2007
As with most people my age, this movie has been near the top of my favorite comedy list since I was a kid. If it was made today, would I love it as much? I like to think so.
garyX
garyX

February 21, 2007
Slightly lame scattershot spoof from the makers of Airplane! that throws in every joke they can think of without any sense of form or structure...probably single-handedly responsible for the seemingly endless slew of dreadful Scary Movie films and their ilk.
Jason S

February 16, 2007
Funny spoof of spy flicks and pop music. It's wierd to see Val Kilmer being all kooky.
Stuart B

January 7, 2007
I love this film!!!!
Michael G

November 5, 2006
How silly can you get?
Alec B

July 25, 2014
It's a wonderfully absurd barrage of nonsensical gags. Considering how popular all the other Zucker, Zucker, and Abrahams comedies are, you'd think "Top Secret" would better remembered (or just remembered at all) but it may just be because the film has barely any plot . . . but really, who cares?
a b

June 9, 2007
Val Kilmer Elvis
jim222001us
jim222001us

August 19, 2007
Nick Rivers (Val Kilmer) a rock and roll star finds himself against Nazis in Germany in this strange but very funny spoof by David Zucker (Naked Gun).