Treasure Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Treasure Island Reviews

September 5, 2010
This is one of my favourite old Disney movies, it's fun and exciting and such a great adventure movie. It's not just a good kids movie, adults will find this movie fun and exciting too.
August 8, 2007
Now this is a real classic, true acting being performed here, Newton is made for this role as he showed in numerous other pirate flicks and a sequel to this. Its extremely good and looks realistic for its time with glorious technicolour and some lovely matt painting work (if alittle fantasised). The whole film has that golden era of cinema look, crisp colours, dashing gents with well spoken accents and a great rugged historical shine that most modern modern flicks miss. I was brought up on classics like this, kids nowadays will laugh probably, shame, they know not of the real movies hehe
April 5, 2008
This adaptation of Stevenson's classic adventure novel was Disney's first 100% live-action film. As with a lot of similar Disney fare, it's rather too 'Technicolorful' for my taste, in general glossing over the blacker elements of the story, though the occasional tinge of darkness does prevail, for example Israel Hands' (creepily played by Geoffrey Keen) pursuit of Jim Hawkins (Bobby Driscoll) up the ship's rigging. The film badly fluffs Stevenson's masterly opening, but it doesn't do too bad a job of representing the flip-flopping morality of Long John Silver's relationship with Hawkins. Robert Newton's performance as Silver is appropriately and enjoyably hammy, but his supporting players are either unnecessarily over the top themselves (Walter Fitzgerald's Squire Trelawney and Geoffrey Wilkinson's Ben Gunn) or blandly unappealing (Driscoll, and Dennis O'Dea's Dr. Livesy). Not bad.
July 15, 2007
There is lots of sword fighting action in this one, which felt very long and drawn out. The direction of the action sequences felt very flat an unexciting. For 1950 it's an achievement, but the beauty of the Island isn't fully exploited. I've gotta say this is still the definitive pirate adventure for young boys everywhere to watch; they ought to show it in schools. I was put off by the bug-eyed accented performance of Robert Newton as Long John Silver, with every line being delivered in corny fashion; but kids might really like that.
Nick C.
½ May 13, 2010
There hasn't been a good pirate movie like this in years, this is a little better than the Sci-Fi verision, Bobby Driscoll as Jim Hawkins and Robert Newton as John Silver were the best.
September 11, 2007
It was okay. A little bland but faithful to the book.
½ March 2, 2010
"Ye come seekin' adventure and salty ol' pirates, eh? Sure ye come to the proper place." Disney's first pure live action film is still a real treasure. The movie captures the spirit of the classic story and Robert Newton gives a legendary and influential performance as the scoundrel Long John Silver. (First viewing - In my early twenties)
March 21, 2013
Remember when Disney used to have entertaining products that you could watch as a kid and adult on a Saturday? Robert Newton made a great Long John Silver.
October 1, 2009
Better than PIrates 2 and 3. The non stop barter makes everybody stop and think about what they would do in the same position.
March 29, 2007
Robert Newton truly brings Long John Silver to life--no other actor can ever fill that shoe! One of my all-time favorite movies, and totally faithful (in spirit) to the book.
January 25, 2007
I wrote a book report in the 6th grade with this movie as my only source. I got an A. The flick gets 4 stars. Thanx.
February 16, 2015
shows its age, but a film that captures the feel of the book without much deviation from the novel: if any. A must for any pirate fan.
July 24, 2014
this is a nearly perfect telling of this story. Script, cast, music, cinematography, EVERYTHING is so good.
January 20, 2014
Still Disney's best pirate movie.
August 7, 2013
Ahh, the classics! What a movie. The action, the dialogue, the acting, the scenery--all wonderful. Young boy Hawkins finds a treasure map on an old dead pirate. A doctor and an old Captain agree to help Hawkins find the treasure map. But first they need a crew. They find Long John Silver, a retired pirate, now running his own tavern. Long John Silver gets his old crew together to set off on this adventure. But Long John Silver has other plans for the treasure. But can he betray young Hawkins, whom he has taken a liking to?
June 13, 2013
Absolutely wonderful work by Disney.
May 20, 2013
Saw it as a kid and loved it!
March 11, 2013
Great adventure film.
January 7, 2012
I don't know why this review is here because I haven't seen it. Some RT screwup.
October 10, 2012