Treasure Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Treasure Island Reviews

September 5, 2010
This is one of my favourite old Disney movies, it's fun and exciting and such a great adventure movie. It's not just a good kids movie, adults will find this movie fun and exciting too.
August 8, 2007
Now this is a real classic, true acting being performed here, Newton is made for this role as he showed in numerous other pirate flicks and a sequel to this. Its extremely good and looks realistic for its time with glorious technicolour and some lovely matt painting work (if alittle fantasised). The whole film has that golden era of cinema look, crisp colours, dashing gents with well spoken accents and a great rugged historical shine that most modern modern flicks miss. I was brought up on classics like this, kids nowadays will laugh probably, shame, they know not of the real movies hehe
April 5, 2008
This adaptation of Stevenson's classic adventure novel was Disney's first 100% live-action film. As with a lot of similar Disney fare, it's rather too 'Technicolorful' for my taste, in general glossing over the blacker elements of the story, though the occasional tinge of darkness does prevail, for example Israel Hands' (creepily played by Geoffrey Keen) pursuit of Jim Hawkins (Bobby Driscoll) up the ship's rigging. The film badly fluffs Stevenson's masterly opening, but it doesn't do too bad a job of representing the flip-flopping morality of Long John Silver's relationship with Hawkins. Robert Newton's performance as Silver is appropriately and enjoyably hammy, but his supporting players are either unnecessarily over the top themselves (Walter Fitzgerald's Squire Trelawney and Geoffrey Wilkinson's Ben Gunn) or blandly unappealing (Driscoll, and Dennis O'Dea's Dr. Livesy). Not bad.
July 15, 2007
There is lots of sword fighting action in this one, which felt very long and drawn out. The direction of the action sequences felt very flat an unexciting. For 1950 it's an achievement, but the beauty of the Island isn't fully exploited. I've gotta say this is still the definitive pirate adventure for young boys everywhere to watch; they ought to show it in schools. I was put off by the bug-eyed accented performance of Robert Newton as Long John Silver, with every line being delivered in corny fashion; but kids might really like that.
Nick C.
½ May 13, 2010
There hasn't been a good pirate movie like this in years, this is a little better than the Sci-Fi verision, Bobby Driscoll as Jim Hawkins and Robert Newton as John Silver were the best.
September 11, 2007
It was okay. A little bland but faithful to the book.
July 24, 2014
this is a nearly perfect telling of this story. Script, cast, music, cinematography, EVERYTHING is so good.
½ March 2, 2010
"Ye come seekin' adventure and salty ol' pirates, eh? Sure ye come to the proper place." Disney's first pure live action film is still a real treasure. The movie captures the spirit of the classic story and Robert Newton gives a legendary and influential performance as the scoundrel Long John Silver. (First viewing - In my early twenties)
August 7, 2013
Ahh, the classics! What a movie. The action, the dialogue, the acting, the scenery--all wonderful. Young boy Hawkins finds a treasure map on an old dead pirate. A doctor and an old Captain agree to help Hawkins find the treasure map. But first they need a crew. They find Long John Silver, a retired pirate, now running his own tavern. Long John Silver gets his old crew together to set off on this adventure. But Long John Silver has other plans for the treasure. But can he betray young Hawkins, whom he has taken a liking to?
March 21, 2013
Remember when Disney used to have entertaining products that you could watch as a kid and adult on a Saturday? Robert Newton made a great Long John Silver.
July 18, 2011
Don't be afraid of those village rats. Don't under estimate them either.

The British are seeking a buried treasure in the Caribbean that was left their by Captain Flint. The British take in a local orphan, Jim Hawkins, on their treasure hunt. The ship also includes several members of Captain's Flint's former crew, including the legendary John Silver. Can the British count on Hawkins and Silver to obtain the gold or will the pirate John Silver act as pirates fo and steal the gold for himself?

"By god I did have a sea cook right out of his talent."

Byron Haskins, director of Captain Sinbad, War of the Worlds (1953), Jet Over the Atlantic, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, and September Storm, delivers Treasure Island. The storyline for this picture is interesting and reminded me of the recent Pirates of the Caribbean pictures. The action scenes were better than anticipated and the acting was perfect for the content. The cast includes Robert Newton, Bobby Driscoll, and Basil Sydney.

"Sweetened to sooth your taste."

I happened to come across this flick and decided to give it a shot. I have watched several classic swash buckling pictures lately so I thought this would be a nice addition to the genre. I was right. This is a very fun picture. The entire family watched and enjoyed this film. If you are a fan of the recent Pirates of the Caribbean pictures, you should see this.

"What fool has a bible?"

Grade: B
March 27, 2011
This film is pretty good at giving an accurate depiction of the time period as far as the detail into the costumes and the boats of the period.

This film gives a good depiction of just how small the boat was down bellow. This film shows the kitchen differently than Iā(TM)m thinking the boat would be with a little more open and more space and not so confined.
The actor playing Long John Silver is pretty good. The voice is exactly what you would think Silver would sound like.

I would have liked the port town where the crew was found to have appeared large so that it would have looked much more extensive. Much of the town looked small and confined. It looked like the set may have only been 5 buildings at most and the rest was either model buildings or paintings.

I was surprised how much of the film focuses so much more time into getting on Treasure Island and finding the Treasure on the Island more than the actual back story of the characters. I was surprised that Jims mother was never even seen but talked about since Jim is so young in this film.

Unfortunately I am rating this film as I have seen the other remakes after this film has come out.
October 1, 2009
Better than PIrates 2 and 3. The non stop barter makes everybody stop and think about what they would do in the same position.
October 28, 2008
Pending on your tolerance for old colorized black-and-white films, this one is still good. Treasure Island, the story by Robert Louis Stevenson featuring Long John Silver, Xes marking spots, and all that pirate "yarrrgen," is another classic novel that's been told to death (especially by Disney - one with Muppets and Tim Curry and another taking place in outer space as one of the last attempts to resurrect the 2-D animation department). Funny how the first time Disney made it is the most recognizable and best rendition. Every time Long John Silver is mentioned, I think of Robert Newton's characterization (once I get past drooling over fried shrimp). Jim Hawkins was played by Bobby Driscoll, who also provided the voice for Disney's Peter Pan and became one of the saddest "child star stories" in the history of Hollywood. This film is probably pretty hard to come across these days, but if you ever get a chance to watch it, don't hesitate to sit down and enjoy. I credit Treasure Island to the birth of my fondness for anything piratey... well, it and Captain Hook.
March 29, 2007
Robert Newton truly brings Long John Silver to life--no other actor can ever fill that shoe! One of my all-time favorite movies, and totally faithful (in spirit) to the book.
January 25, 2007
I wrote a book report in the 6th grade with this movie as my only source. I got an A. The flick gets 4 stars. Thanx.
July 13, 2006
A great old-time pirate movie, filled with hilarious scenes, great acting, and a lot of fun.

I enjoyed it a lot!
February 3, 2014
One the first Disney films without animation.
½ March 6, 2016
Family fare from Disney that I recall fondly from my youth and have now had a chance to watch with my two sons (aged 6 and 3). I've not read the Robert Louis Stevenson novel but its adventures would seem to be made for the screen. Young Jim Hawkins receives a map to the titular island from dying Captain Billy Bones and turns it over to Squire Trelawney who funds a voyage. However, he relies on ship's cook, Long John Silver, to hire the crew. Robert Newton owns the role with his pirate's brogue (and some argue that he is the originator of all that "arrr, matey!" talk you can't resist). Silver is a very ambiguous character. On the one hand, he is a notorious pirate and might be quick to slit a throat, especially amongst his own men, if they be getting out of line (see, it can't be helped). On the other hand, he seems to have a soft spot for Jim Hawkins (with whom we identify), even saving his life once or twice. Of course, things are generally pretty tame, though vigorous at times. The kids couldn't quite hold on to the plot, which advances through talk that was over their heads (and laced with new pirate words) but I explained things and the older one was glued to the screen (though worried at times for our hero). Enjoyable if you accept it for what it is.