• R, 1 hr. 35 min.

Up the Creek Reviews

thefog1331
thefog1331

September 26, 2010
One of the better T & A comedies from the 80s due largely to the fact it's actually funny. Unfortunately it is one of the last five films still somehow not available on DVD.
Brian D

June 24, 2009
Was lucky enough to find a old VHS tape of this pure 80's gem.Has aged badly but they dont make them like this any more.A cross between Porkys and animal house its just crazy fun.Worth checking out if you can find it....
Leigh R

August 6, 2008
It was fine to watch... once.
Jens S

February 15, 2008
A typical 80s teenager comedy, full of lame jokes, bad hairdos, clothes and boobs, silly lines and rock songs. Four students (the handsome smartass, the horny one, the loser geek and the fat strong one) try to win a college raft race. While other teams (the snobs, a girl's team, etc.) try to do the same, the disqualified retarded military team (I miss movies making fun of military - damn the war) tries to throw their arsenal into the game to make sure no one wins and that the river takes a new turn soon. That is as stupid and below the belt as it sounds but at the same time so hilariously funny that it's really hard not to laugh. Especially the sabotage attempts could just as well come from a Roadrunner cartoon or Simpsons episode. That's probably unbearable to watch for anyone born after 1990, but for everyone else, getting together with a few friends and drinks there are a lot worse ways to spend an evening. They just don't make movies like that anymore. That's as much a good message as it is a bad one when I look at most new comedies.
Wu C

April 27, 2008
Decent, but typical 80's comedy. It hasn't aged that well, but I'll always hold a special place in my heart for 'Up the Creek'.
ninethofjuly
July 9, 2009
Entertaining and wonderfully funny movie that didn't get enough attention when it first come out in 1984. Story centers on a loser group of college kids who decide to race river rafts against other colleges in order to gain some respect and a degree. Shades of Animal House? Yes, and it does star AH alumni Matheson and Furst but the comparison really works. I'm really glad that movies like these are available on Instant Watch, they bring back so many nostalgic memories and provide access to movies that have long gone unnoticed. This one is truly a comedic gem--the cast, script and direction is great. I highly recommend it, I watched this with my older teen kids and they really enjoyed it, its should be rated PG-13 for today's standards, don't let the R-rating keep you away.
metalman80s
August 26, 2007
Combine cast members from Animal House, Revenge of the Nerds, and Porky's and you've got Up the Creek. A college comedy about a raft race. Pretty good movie.
March 26, 2007
An underrated comedy film from 1984. A hilarious film about 4 losers who go to Lepetomene University, the worst college in the U.S., are forced and bribe to participate in a collegiete raft race and have to deal with a Ivy League group trying to cheat to win. A great film starring Tim Matheson, Stephen Furst, Sandy Helberg, and Dan Monahan. The supporting cast include Jennifer Runyon, James B. Sikking, Julia Montgomery, and Jeff East. The film also has great songs by Cheap Trick, Kick Axe, Heart, Randy Bishop and some others, too.
2wheels
January 20, 2013
A classic comedy for it's time. I wish it was on DVD or Blueray.
March 1, 2012
combines star power, coeds, frothy beers, sun, bikinis and paddling ! what was better on a glorious summer day for us riverrunners! Paddle on!
November 8, 2010
In my opinion, it's the best 80's comedy ever! I've seen this film 10 times on VHS and yet I'm still waiting for the DVD version. To whoever have the rights to this gem, put it out already! It's been 26 years so far, the film's not at the bottom of the list, YOU GUYS ARE THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST! Either way, I'm still waiting.
craig333
March 10, 2005
One of my favorite comedies.