The Yearling - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Yearling Reviews

January 27, 2010
WOW! FANTASTIC! Good thing OZ was made in year 1939, because that would have stolen the prize but, I have to say that this movie is comparable to the Wizard of Oz!
½ August 25, 2006
Wow... I so cried at the end.
½ June 2, 2014
A bit on the barfy side. A young man decides to raise a deer and becomes a man. Let's forget about this one, shall we?
October 14, 2010
I watched this one in school because we were required to read the book. That is about all there is to say about this one.
March 1, 2009
The only reason that this was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar was for the qualities for which it did win an Oscar. Cinematography and Art Direction. There are some great travelogue type of scenery shots of Florida back woods. Other than that, we've got Gregory Peck- generally a great actor, but cannot pull off "simple redneck". Jane Wyman is his cunt of a wife. And some rediculous kid actor plays the rediculous kid. "The Yearling" as the title suggests, doesn't show up until an hour into the movie. From there, whatever molehill this movie had climbed had all started to go downhill. Animal movies are not Best Picture material.
½ June 12, 2008
Nice family film about a boy and his bond with a deer. The relationship cultivates after his Father's life is saved at the expense of the fawn's mother. The boy feels obligated to care for the baby Fawn and learns many important and difficult life lessons in the meantime. Claude Jarman Jr. shines as the child actor and Gregory Peck gives one of his finest performances. A good, wholesome film for anyone to see!
January 27, 2008
From the auther, Margerie Rawlings, this classic is by far one of the most wonderful movies of it's time about a young boy coming of age and learning the heartache of suvival and making painful adult choices in life.
½ July 24, 2007
One of the best movies about growing up ever made. Entertaining, heartbreaking, and extremely intelligent. Beautiful performances, beautiful Technicolor.
½ April 1, 2007
This film is boring, predictable, sentimental, clichéd garbage. That Jody kid made me want to drive a nail through my forehead, he was that pathetic.

At least Gregory Peck was in it.
October 21, 2015
This movie is called a family film, granted it was a really moving movie but it scared me for life. It and Ol Yeller. I guess if you are not a kid it is a great "family film" but I tell you my experience at probably 8-9 years old was extremely disturbing. I would never show it to a child that I cared about.
February 8, 2015
Not only a fine adaptation of the pulitzer prized best selling novel, but one of the truly great family and coming of age films of all time with memorable performances by Peck and Wyman. Part of the mythos of America.
½ June 2, 2014
August 12, 2013
There is too much beauty in it. From my point of view this movie has been undersestimated over the years. It has top performances and top direction. Clarence Brown didn't make only a MGM family movie, he made a real masterpiece,and maybe, a new kind of film. This is a real classic and one of the best movies ever made, not only in the United States, but in the history of film. A complete movie.
December 17, 2013
My favorite movie ever!!!
½ September 3, 2013
A great movie and worth watching at least once especially to see the famous heartbreaking ending.
½ August 5, 2013
In contrast to Frank Capra's divine optimism, cruelly tears the shield of children and exposes them under hard reality. But maturity is one takes to survive. Besides the great performance from the leading cast, including Gregory Peck and Jane Wyman, the beautiful countryside and the adorable animals are enough to leave you purring.
July 24, 2013
A twee family movie about the struggle to make a better life. The Americans seemed to revel in this type of movie just after the war.