• R, 1 hr. 55 min.

—— Sullivan & Son: Season 3

Where the Heart Is Reviews

AJ V

September 6, 2010
One of my favourite movies where a bunch of rich young adults are forced by their folks to live out on their own. The actors are great, and it's funny as well. I loved this movie.
Lafe F

July 30, 2010
A miserable Dabney Coleman comedy with he and his artistic children living in a rundown apartment building. I didn't realize a younger Uma Thurman was in this one.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

April 23, 2009
Got this movie for one reason Suzy Amis. And its a crazy movie, about a rich dysfunctional family. And when the father goes to see the daughter perform at school, he snaps because of her body painting, so he throws his kids out into a city apartment house to let them fend for there own way, so begins the story and about the only thing I found interesting was the Body Art, it was so cool and its worth watching the movie for, and I also like the homeless magician shitty, he was such a good actor, reminded me a little of cannery row. but still with all this the movie only gets 3 stars, the art work 5 stars, but its the movie we are to grade here.
Byron B

October 19, 2008
Strange movie with colorful characters. I liked the artist sister the most and her project of photographing murals with live people blended into the art.
January 5, 2013
A quirky, somewhat lovable film showcasing an attractive, young cast with an upbeat story; Where the Heart is remains a mostly forgotten film shedding light on a comical subject some may get more of a rise from than others. Elaborating on the concept of rich vs. poor and how one chooses to express their beliefs, those with artistic taste may go gaga over this one. Others may find it too ridiculous and draggy to enjoy in the long haul.
This quirky film (possibly in the "love it or leave it" category) revolves around a trio of disgruntled young adult siblings, majorly down on their luck when their greedy father forces them to live in an abandoned building with a small amount of money to get by with. Pampered beyond belief previously, they get a thorough dose of how the "other half" lives and must obtain better jobs and the whole nine yards. This ultimately leads to them inviting other "friends" to live with them (including a homeless bum) and finding new ways to make their home more "cheery" for their survival.
Though not a typical film one may expect, viewers possessing a bizarre sense of humor may take to this one more than others. The eccentric cast is fun (especially young Uma Thurman in an early role), though the plot elements become heavy in due time and some may grow tired when the film drags in parts. Still, the movie seemingly gave significant employment to a good art and costume crew, which serve as the best assets. Sadly, the film's lack of popularity led it to a disappointing box office run, and DVD copies are getting quite scarce. Grab it while you still can! Despite having the same title, this film bares no relation to the 2000 film starring Natalie Portman.
WrellikW
July 15, 2008
This movie is alright, but the Trump L'ois paintings, in this picture, are something to see; they are amazing! I recommend this movie just for the paintings alone, not to mention the movie. It's a 3 star movie, with 5 star paintings, thus, a 4 star average.
AllisonJ
March 22, 2006
I cant really remember anymore since i watched it so long ago, but i remember wanting to watch it again!
March 22, 2014
So bad that it's actually pretty damn enjoyable. If you've seen it you get it.
IronBob M.
August 20, 2010
Well there's no accounting for taste I guess because 11% on this little gem is psychotic. One of the most fun movies I've ever seen, it's light-hearted humor and it does a fine job of carrying an important message. This is not supposed to be a dramatic tour de force in fact, you're an idiot if you think it's meant to be a drama.

It's a story. A funny, little story that even though is preposterous in some regards, it's still hugely enjoyable to watch. The cast is highly talented and has pulled out superb performances on lukewarm material.

It was one of Uma Thurman's first roles and one can see a budding talent that has the potential for super-stardom. Dabney Coleman is the main antagonist who plays her father while Joanna Cassidy plays the doting mother showing the extreme versatility she should be known for.

Chrispin Glover as a young talent and others that never went much beyond this but the surprise treat is Christopher Plummer who plays one of the most amazing street living roles I've ever seen.

Trust me, if you can't smile at this movie then there's no hope for you.