Anastasia Reviews

½ August 8, 2010
A beautiful period piece with its own eccentricities, Anastasia is fun and even frivolous at times. It holds a quiet dramatic regard at the travesty of the protagonist's fate and her past without reference, but the only moments of clarity come from actress Ingrid Bergman, who steals the show. She portrays a lonely beggar on the streets of a Russian metropolis, and is found by a disgraced general looking for an imposter to take on the supposedly dead Grand Duchess Anastasia, She is trained to meet the duchess' grandmother who lives in Amsterdam. Easy to recognize from that brief synopsis is the fact that it parallels the very flawed and wildly entertaining nineties' cartoon movie of the same name. For that one reason I found this to be a sensational watch. Looking between the two to see where one fails over the other, while the other succeeds was a tiny thrill for this film nerd. Both succeed in holding interest until the very end, both have a happy ending that you know deep down probably didn't happen, and both are basically about the search for an identity of any kind. This pitiless character, though an abject liar and someone who's fate wasn't known at the time of the film, is really only looking for the truth behind herself. The film does a great job of not drawing its own conclusions by saying it believes one way or another whether it was truth. Though there wasn't a seminal villain or musical numbers, it has the same basic concept which kept interest throughout. This was the most realistic way the events themselves could possibly go, and it remained impartial throughout while staying tongue in cheek. The fact that it was a period piece was well reflected in extravagant costuming, elaborate sets, and dialogue that espoused true melodrama and Russian highbrow stubbornness, in part from the general, portrayed by the very cultured Yul Brynner. Though touchy because it was Bergman's second Oscar, and her time in Hollywood was later marred by controversy, it really was a symbol of Bergman's talents as an actress and her pull in America. If you are wondering, in 2009 DNA testing revealed Duchess Anastasia died with her family in 1918. I am not disputing that this film wasn't at least semi-accurate, but I also don't care because it was an amazing film no matter what.
½ September 5, 2010
Since I've already seen the new Disney movie of this, I know the story, so as a live action movie, I wasn't very impressed. Of course Bergman is a great actress, and I'm sure she tried her best with this movie, but her performance didn't help my opinion of the film. It was slow and boring.
bbcfloridabound
½ April 13, 2009
How could any movie with Yul Brynner and Ingrid Bergman rate anything less then 4 1/2 stars. I don't know how my mind gets so wrapped up in so many different types of films but it does. When the movie first started I was wondering how long I was going have to watch this thing, then all of a sudden I was taken in. Yul Brynner plays is forceful roll as he always seems to do. and Ingrid Bergman , well I read where this movie was her comeback movie, maybe in America, but I seriously doubt that it was in Europe. I am sure both actors were far bigger stars outside the US, then in. This movie is a part of Russian History, which I promise will not bore you. The Costumes are fantastic. Nothing here that will put you to sleep, Its a shame that I didn't see this sooner, As one of my Dear Flixster friends sent me a recommendation on this one and I never past one down. Yes 4 1/2 stars, if I wait any longer it will be 5 stars. Thanks Raimoyna.
sainttom93
½ January 14, 2007
Not quite up to Ingrid's usual standards
Jason Vargo
April 14, 2012
There are a few obstacles to the 1956 version of Anastasia. The first is the opening 20 minutes of the film, which meanders and provides far too much exposition in the most boring means possible. And then there are the heavy accents by every character in the picture. But if you get past those two items-and understand this is heavily speculative historical fiction-Anastasia can be a gripping film. The story itself is solid, moving swiftly and seemingly culminating before it really should. Bergman is mesmerizing, especially in her scenes with Helen Hayes. Yul Brynner takes a back seat for most of the film, though he is a pivitol character throughout. Wheat we don't necessarily get is a well rounded look at Prince Paul, to see what he's about, since he is bad mouthed in the lead up to the finale. But, really, Anastasia makes a perfect double bill with 1971's Nicholas and Alexandra, an episode from history no one should ever forget.
½ July 21, 2007
A good classic but in my opinion, not a great one. The story of Anastasia is somewhat interesting although being linked to royalty isn't as grand as it once was. Seeing Yul Brynner as something other than the King of Siam is always a treat and this is a strong role for him.
½ September 13, 2007
On it's own I liked it but it could have been a lot better and I don't like that it made up some things.
July 10, 2009
This is one of those highly regarded classics that I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. It's a god film, but I don't see anything extraordinary about it. Ingrid Bergman is fine, but winning an Oscar? I get a little bored with the subject of the film. Good production.
September 24, 2007
I get girly Goosebumps thinking about this movie. Yul Brynner as the "Vodka" like Bounine is realistic and extremely desirable. Brynner is always so good at having a commanding presence and a stare that could melt steel. He uses these characteristics to compose mixed feelings among the audience and even Anastasia. At times he seems cruel and orders her about like an animal, but this usage of forceful tactics encourages her to learn about her true past.
Ingrid Bergman is as usual, a wonderful actress who leaves speculation to who she really is. I love how she plays the role; her acting forces you to constantly change your opinion. At first you see her simply as a dirty mad woman in disguise, and then slowly she transforms revealing more and more about her character. The only thing that displeased me about the film is, although the ending is perfect in every right, I still longed to see Brynner and Bergman reveal how they feel to one another. My curiosity drove me crazy as I watched the end. It would just fascinate me to see Bounine who is horrible at expressing how he feels tell her anything. I guess what he had said before to her in the throne room was proof enough. And how would she tell him that she didn?t want to marry Prince Paul? Curious?.
And of course it was beautifully shot and compelling to witness the wide angles and stretching backgrounds that made up their lives.
August 15, 2007
OK, so historically WAY off, it is still one of my favourite films. This is one of those movies that remind me of the kind of stories I try to write. Witty, irreverent, adventurous, and fun.
July 31, 2007
Ingrid Bergman? Yul Brynner? That is four stars just for the acting even though it was highly fictionalized.
January 18, 2007
ths isnt a very real story. u should watch the one in 1986. ingrid bergman was soooo good in this movie. and everyone is good in this movie. if u like ingrid berman u will love this movie!
½ December 27, 2006
Amazing performance by Ingrid in this comeback classic. Historically inaccurate but so is the animated version. Alfred Newman, legendary composer, does the music for this, while his son David did the music for the animated film some 40 years later.
½ November 15, 2006
The romance between Ingrid and Yul is beautifully understated. The scene where Helen Hayes recognizes her granddaughter (or is she?) gets me every time. Beautiful.
January 27, 2015
This is a lavish production that would probably be great on big screen with its' cinemascope. The story is a little melodramatic and so is the acting from Ingrid Bergman and Yule Brenner, but it's fun to watch.
½ October 8, 2014
"Anastasia" es una magnífica cinta que recrea en el París de los años 20 la posibilidad de que la hereda al trono de Rusia esté viva. Ingrid Bergman obtuvo merecidamente el Oscar por su interpretación de la supuesta Anastasia y el siempre imponente Yul Brynner es perfecto como el ex-patriado que la rescata de la miseria y la locura.
½ December 13, 2014
what a sweet ending :)
½ June 2, 2008
A great film with great performances. Bergman is a knockout.
May 21, 2013
Tuesday, May 21, 2013

(1956) Anastasia
DRAMA

Familiarity first half but the film picks up on the second half starring Ingrid Bergman winning her second Oscar performance. Boring beginning which centers on General Sergei Pavlovich Bounine played by Yul Brynner conversing with Bergman who was hired or given a specific amount of money to find and locate the real Anastasia an heiress who was assumed to be shot dead by the rebels of the "Tsar" family during the turnover of the Russian revolution. With records showed that she was really alive and she happens to be a full grown lady who had escaped from a recent mental institution.

Plays almost like Yul Brynner's other film "The King And I" except that this time the roles are somewhat reversed where it's him falling for the wealthy missing heiress assumed to be Anastasia. Quite cliché first half but very involving second half. The most satisfying fictionalize portrait involving an actual lost heir.

3 out of 4 stars
April 19, 2013
Ingrid Bergman shines, everything else is just OK.