62% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Daddy Long Legs Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

February 20, 2013
This is my first Fred Astaire Movie, I stayed away from him for many years pass as I thought it would be something that I would watch 5 minutes and tirn off, boy was I wrong. 20 Minutes into this movie I found a real talent that we will never see on the screen again in this lifetime. This man could play the drums, he could sing, and everyone knows he could dance. The film has been reviewed by a millin others my reveiw can be said in a couple of words. Worth Watching. 5 stars 2-18-13
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 9, 2007
fine performances, especially thelma ritter and fred clark and great music but much too long.
Dannielle A

November 22, 2008
Some cute song and dance numbers.
Marion R

May 5, 2007
A good film. A nice musical, with some good numbers, one of the better Astaire films.
April 22, 2014
Solid movie, not so good from the musical aspect, but the story and characters are good enough to make up for the musical deficiencies.
August 6, 2012
A 50-something year old man and an 18 year old woman is a little creepy when seen at face value. Fortunately, Astaire and the film acknolwedge the age difference and they keep it friendly for the entire film. It is really about two lonely people from different worlds finding something in common. I actually liked the love story presented here. Some nice songs, but the dancing by Astaire and Leslie Caron is what it is all about.

Grade: B+
TonyPolito
February 13, 2011
Not much mid-Century meat here other than Fred Astaire hoofin' it, alluring Leslie Caron ... plus a couple of strong Johnny Mercer numbers.

The plotline/action doesn't once get deeper than the basic book, that being a middle-aged mid-Century man's ultimate fantasy. Astaire's a 50ish gazillionaire running his corporate conglomerate from behind a big fat desk atop some Manhattan skyscraper. Then he chances into funding a 16-year-old French orphan's Boston College experience (anonymously). Then when she's 19 (and 'fair game') he, of course, turns the letch hanging around the freshman formal to get a gander (anonymously). Then he, of course, turns up to court and woo her (using a pseudonym, of course). The wooing is then interrupted by cold feet and wistful longing ... until graduation day ... of course.

In the end, of course, the two woo quite successfully. No surprise since, as the jeweler in the film says, "It's been our experience that a diamond of that quality never comes back."

This is a dance vehicle and so the viewer shouldn't expect much more. Well, actually the viewer SHOULD expect more, since there's a bit too much vapid story and a bit too little song and dance. "Dream (When You're Feeling Blue)" and "Something's Gotta Give" are the best tunes. The former merely lilts in the background'; Fred & Leslie duet the latter, throats 'n' toes, and it's pretty pedestrian. The most interesting dance number is actually a solo Astaire in a hokey cowboy spur-clickin' number. Caron's "girl-loses-man malaise dream" dance number plays out far too high-brow and 'modern' for 1955 popcorn-munchers.

The best part of the romancing is Caron's incredible ability to convincingly portray a very young girl delectably caving to the advances of a much older man. When Astaire cracks a wry smile toward Caron after she accepts his proposal, it looks a lot less like his acting out romantic satisfaction ... and a lot more like his admiration and acknowledgment of her talented delivery to the camera.

Color by DeLuxe; CinemaScope. Visually, the film has survived time well. The color composition ramps up within the dance costumes and numbers but, in terms of cinematography, there's nothing else special here.

RECOMMENDATION: For Astaire completists ... and anyone who needs a second dose of Caron's stagecraft after viewing "Gigi." Everyone else can simply advance directly to "Go" and collect $200.
wizikitheguru
June 24, 2010
Even though Fred Astaire isn't with ginger roberts in this movie I still find this movie completely wonderful!
jam233
August 2, 2009
Cute musical, nothing really outstanding about it though. Slightly above average. Leslie Caron is well cast, some great musical numbers and some rather bland ones as well.
periwinklepetticoats
April 18, 2008
I like Fred Astaire and this is an okay film. The Characters should have been cast differently and perhaps the film would have made more sense
August 26, 2007
This was my first movie that I saw with Fred. He became and still is my #1 favorite actor of all time. I love all his movies!
iumuggle
July 11, 2007
Somethings Gotta Give stands out in this movie as the best part by far. Astaire again, a little bit older but still fantastic dance/ singer / actor
March 3, 2007
This movie is dissapointing because it has so little to do with the book it's based on. I find that Fred Astair is too old to play the love interest to Leslie Caron. I know he's supposed to be older, but Astair in this part comes off as creepy. The Daddy Long Legs character in the book actually manages to be in a similar situation but not come off as creepy.
October 30, 2006
Sigh! I love this movie even though he's, like, way too old, it doesn't matter b/c they both dance so well! It must be love!
April 29, 2012
A charming Astaire film. As always, there are memorable dance scenes throughout the entire movie.
January 24, 2013
A globe-trotting playboy, on the spur of the moment, decides to sponsor an eighteen year old girl in a French orphanage. Eventually, he meets her and falls in love with her. The film lacks narrative and, most disappointingly, rhythm. However, it really comes alive quite predictably with the musical numbers, particularly with the dreamy sequences.
starlett2005
July 20, 2010
Daddy Long Legs is an amazing film. The dance scenes are incredible and so is the music. Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron worked well together and gave excellent performances. The screenplay is great and witty. Jean Negulesco did a good job directing this movie. Daddy Long Legs is a must see.
Ely M.
July 15, 2010
Cheerful and lighthearted with a bit of dark undertones. This movie is truly a fun watch. I loved the dance sequences however strangely timed.

Fred Astaire brings his character (Jervis) to life.

Great performances by both Astaire and Caron. :)
jazza923